New Mortal Kombat looking to dominate the online arena

Monday, 10th August 2009 18:58 GMT By Nathan Grayson

mortalkombat

According to a recent job listing, WB Games Chicago wants the next Mortal Kombat to be the “golden standard for network play.”

“WB Games Inc. seeks a Senior Software Engineer, Network to help us implement cutting-edge online features to ensure the Mortal Kombat franchise is an industry leader in online functionality. We are looking to position Mortal Kombat as the ‘gold standard’ for network play, and we are looking for someone who wants to push the boundaries of what is possible with online interaction,” reads the listing.

Apparently, whoever lands the gig will be responsible for “revolutionizing” online play.

Fame and fortune — what more could you ask for?

Thanks, TRMK.

1. Neolucifer

Honestly , i find and always found mortal kombat to be even less of a fighting game than … say any anime license fighting games from current and previous generations , and a big embarassement to the genre …

However it’s still pretty that for once , a fighting game publisher would think of online code as a central part of the game . The others ones online brass some PR air , and do awful to mediocre work in that area .

Except Blazblue , the current gold star and example of online fighting . With Sf2 hd remix as a not so distant second .

2. fearmonkey

Mortal Kombat needs a drastic overhall to mean anything. The last few games, while entertaining, have hardly set the world on fire.
    I want to see a more serious darker gameplay look, tons of multiplayer options and computer AI that scales better with your abilities. MK vs DC had terrible computer AI, it went from easy to incredibly hard very fast, which was annoying.

3. ashers2ashers

yeah, I will ge a good mortal kombat game for nostalgia from one I had on the snes, the same reason why I bought SFIV. Only trouble is that was the learning curve on that is pretty bad too AI wise, and online multiplayer lacking in my opinion (too many games full when you try and join).

I want fighting games to have fun doing cool moves and ripping people to shreds, not getting pissed at it being impossible to do anything without being ripped to shreds myself :)

4. Gekidami

I’ve always found MK abit mediocre really, even back in the days when people said it was good, the only appeal then was that i was at an age where i found gore ‘cool’ now its just a gimmick to poor gameplay.

5. SticKboy

I actually really enjoyed MK vs DC – in fact, I preferred it to SF4 (and I;m not just saying that).

What MK *really* needs is more modern button mapping for its moves. MK still feels very much like a dial-a-combo 1 on 1 fighter – it really needs to flow more, like Tekken, SoulCalibur or Virtua Fighter.