Pitchford: PC Borderlands “destroys console versions in terms of image fidelity”

Wednesday, 5th August 2009 10:32 GMT By Patrick Garratt

borderlands14

Don’t mince those words, Randy Pitchford, Gearbox super-honcho. Want to know what Borderlands version to get if you want it looking at its best? PC. It “destroys” the 360 and PS3 versions visually.

“The PC version destroys all the console versions in terms of the image fidelity – assuming you have the hardware for it,” he told RPS.

So we all buy the PC version, right Randy? Not so fast, kiddlewinks.

“It’s tough. It’s very tough, I’ll tell ya,” Pitchford added. “On one level I do like sitting on my couch with the surround sound and the wireless controller, on the other level I mean you will not get a better-looking image than in the PC version of the game.

“And when you’re playing a first-person shooter, the mouse and keyboard interface is still the best way to go. It’s a tough thing.”

Hit the link for loads more, including Alec Meer telling Randy “half the internet” spells his surname “Pitchfork”.

The RPG-shooter hybrid’s out on October 23.

1. absolutezero

PC has more visual options.

What a scoop!

2. Hunam

Not if your playing a GRIN game.

3. Freek

“Don’t buy this version, it’s not as good”

Strange way to promote your new game. 0_o

4. Hunam

I thought the whole “games look better on the PC if you spend the cash” was a known fact. Hence why the console fans always throw crazy numbers to justify not buying a PC. Because obviously only $4000 machines are good. :|

5. G1GAHURTZ

/prepares for battle

6. Robo_1

“Strange way to promote your new game. 0_o”

Quite. I mean I’m sure he’s right, but if you’re trying to sell a game on all three formats, it’s rather disingenuous to publicly out one version as “destroying” the other two. It’s further solidified my meh, feelings about the whole game to be honest.

7. Robster1979

Wait till BDH see’s this :-)

8. Hunam

I think he’s hiding from the NWO today.

9. Psychotext

Well, I have my PC connected to my TV… and I still wont be buying your shitty game Mr Pitchford. :)

10. Hunam

Borderlands looks pretty good to be fair, Pitchford is a mong though. I mean, considering I don’t even like Gearbox, me saying one of their games is good is a moon sized compliment.

11. G1GAHURTZ

Don’t know anything about this game.

Don’t much want to now…

12. Robster1979

All I know is the are millions of guns in the game.

Wow.

It looks like a very average shooter from the vid’s I’ve seen.

13. Psychotext

“Borderlands looks pretty good to be fair”

I think it looks like shit tbh… and it’s backed up in my mind by the fact that all they seem to want to talk about is their billions of guns and their OMG weapon system.

To the point that I strongly believe that it’s all the game has going for it.

14. SunKing

They have been pushing this idea of having thousands upon thousands of gun variations in the game, but it don’t think it will have the same appeal as armour or clothing. To me, one gun is almost as good as another as long as it kills stuff. As long its not pink with the Hello Kitty logo inked on the side, I’m happy.

15. SunKing

Oh, and somebody should tell Mr Pitchford that there is such a thing as being a little too upfront with your audience.

16. DrDamn

I think after these gems half the internet will spell Randy’s name Captain Points-out-the-bleedin-obvious!

17. Grimrita

‘gearbox discover PCs brilliance’ – ?? And all this talk of ‘having wires hanging around’ is bollocks. I have a PC plugged into my TV via HD cables and there are just the same amount of wires as with a lame console.

Streetfighter IV is amazing using my xbox controllers on my TV via my PC. If only developers start thinking outside the norm with console limitations

18. Madeira

I have my gaming PC next to the TV. The PC version is usually the way to go, but it’s good to hear a developer telling it like it is instead of talking up the 360/PS3 versions as if they were nearly identical to the PC.

@Psychotext: There’s probably 100 different hands-on takes out there on Borderlands. Try to find one who thought it was a bad game.

19. Psychotext

@Madeira: I learnt a long time ago not to trust preview writeups. They’ve got a habit of glossing over everything that reviews eventually pick up on (I guess devs are given a lot of slack because the game isn’t finished), meaning that even poor games can preview well.

If I’m wrong come review time… all the better. No-one wants any game to be bad. But I get the feeling I’m not going to be.

20. Madeira

@Psychotext: You said it was a shitty game. There should at least be some issue with it that is impossible to gloss over if it’s shitty.

You said there was nothing going for it other than the guns. I’ve read a handful of previews that mention the visual style, the RPG elements, the open world, enemy variety, jump in/out 4 player coop… I mean, this isn’t buried among paragraph upon paragraph about the guns. It’s right there.

If you’re going to say it’s shitty, you should at least have something to back it up- your own personal experience with the game, or a take from a game journalist that has played it.

21. Psychotext

I did back it up. It’s my opinion based on the fact that all the company seem to be able to laud it is the millions of weapons. Beyond that, what I’ve seen in screenshots and video manages not only to look generic (gameplay, not art style), but like it’s running on five year old technology to boot.

You have your feelings on the game, I have mine. I’m not going to argue with you about it. If you’re excited for it, more power to you.

22. theevilaires

OH? OK!

23. G1GAHURTZ

Can anyone find a bad preview of Driv3r?

Kane and Lynch?

Haze?

Shall I go on?

24. Psychotext

I did actually see a bad preview of Haze in fairness. :)

25. No_PUDding

And Driv3r.

(I still love it)

26. Madeira

@G1GAHURTZ: No it’s ok.

@Psychotext: I don’t really have much feelings for the game, I just noticed that you seemed full of shit about it. ’5 year old technology’…

27. theevilaires

OH REALLY?

28. No_PUDding

TEA is gone.

Aliens with a limited vocabulary replaced him.

It’s a conspiracy.

29. Psychotext

“I don’t really have much feelings for the game”

I find that hard to believe, given you seem to be so offended by my opinion.

30. SticKboy

@ Psychotext & Madeira: Can you two please just get a room? All this flirting is making me nauseous ;)

31. Psychotext

:D

(SticKboy is jealous)

32. blackdreamhunk

looks like I will be picking this game up :)

33. theevilaires

:-(

34. G1GAHURTZ

BDH! BDH! BDH!

35. Galactic_Barret

At first, I had no interest in this game. At all. But after seeing a video here, my curiousity was piqued. I’ll probably get the game when its cheap, and I won’t let Randy’s declaration temper my expectations. If the game is good, it doesn’t matter which system you play it on. As a developer, he should know, and be counting on as much.

36. No_PUDding

Sorry TEA.

But I liked listening to your opinions too. So feel free to express them whenever you want to.

37. G1GAHURTZ

Atleasthesnotwritinglikethislol

38. theevilaires

:-) deelb niarb ruoy ekam lliw snoinipo ym

39. G1GAHURTZ

¿ʎןɹo

40. theevilaires

Si!

41. fearmonkey

I feel the same way as most you all regarding Gearbox. However, after having no interest in Borderlands, to watching several movies of gameplay, I’ll admit i’m intrigued and the game has potential.
    I would love to see them do a game that gets some good scores. I would hate to see this being another Haze, or similar title.

42. loki

Crackdown have better graphic than this shit. Fuck you whit your peace of crap

43. Psychotext

OMG IT’S LOKI. HI LOKI!!!!

44. frostquake

Wait Wait Wait…I want to throw Monkey Poop!!! Um Um Um…Hot Damn Thank You Mam Can I stick another one inside your Can!
    There Take That Borederlands!!! ROFL

45. absolutezero

Hold the fuck up here.

Psycho you say the game looks shit because all the decs talk about is the amount of guns, yet you have’nt read any previews because you don’t trust them.

No wonder you have’nt seen anything else about the game. Read the RPS preview. Do it.

46. Artheval_Pe

Because obviously only $4000 machines are good. :|
    How strange ! My 1500€ machine is great…

It is, but he’s talking on Rock Paper Shotgun. This interview is aimed towards PC Gamers. If he doesn’t tell that kind of things, PC customers are going to think “All right, another lazy console port. Let’s play something better instead”

all the company seem to be able to laud it is the millions of weapons.
    That’s called shitty marketing, a shitty game is an all other story.

it’s running on five year old technology to boot.
    Right. Unreal Engine 3

47. Psychotext

Yes… way to cut off the “looks like” part of that sentence which isn’t important at all. Because really, there aren’t any UE3 games which look like shit.

48. Artheval_Pe

What I meant was that you were correct. Unreal Engine 3 was designed and shown about 5 years ago and became available 3 years ago.

As for Borderlands, at least it doesn’t look like the usual Unreal 3 games where they just use the existing assets available with the engine to build their game. It looks different, and it looks good, whereas this is really detailed in terms of textures, models, effects, etc… will be examined when the game will come out. Or at Cologne for the people who have the chance to go there.

Anyway, even a shitty game looks better whithout aliasing and with anisotropic filtering on.

49. Robster1979

I watched the OXM Borderlands report on UK XBOX LIVE last night and its fair to say that this game looks poor to shit. They can try and big it up anyway they like talking about crossing genres and billions of guns but the end shot is it looks like a poor PS2 game and doesnt seem to do anything new that actually makes it fun to play.

I dont know why I was expecting anything else when the last Gearbox game I remember playing was Brothers in Arms Hells Highway. That was REALLY SHIT!

Check it out on LIVE and see what you make of it.