Sony Motion Controller: Handheld controls greatly increase precision

Friday, 31st July 2009 16:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

sonymotioncontroller

PS3 special projects manager Dr. Richard Marks has been talking up Sony’s new motion controller to PC World.

While the company has yet to make an official announcement for the peripheral, Marks did provide information as to why it’s important that you hold something in your hand.

“We learned that while people definitely enjoy physical interaction and movement, they also want precise control and a simple, fast, reliable way to trigger actions. We designed our new control system to accomplish all of this,” he told the site. “We believe the path we have chosen is an ideal combination of both spatial and action/button input, and of course we can combine that with voice and video data from the PlayStation Eye mic array and camera.

“Having a hand-held controller greatly increases the precision that is possible, since we have designed it specifically for that purpose. The new controller’s high-precision embedded sensors detect the sensitive movements of the hands, and the PlayStation Eye tracks the sphere on the controller to precisely detect the position in real-life 3D space.

“Another huge benefit of having a controller comes from being able to trigger abstract actions with a simple button press. This is very important, because this event triggering capability is complementary to the spatial input provided by the tracking, and some experiences need both.

“No matter how good our visual tracking might become, the feeling you get from actually squeezing something physical is a better simulation than just positioning your finger. This relates to an interface phenomenon I call “somatic gratification”. The feeling of the interaction can be just as important as the effectiveness.

Marks went on to say that Sony is looking into the possibility of incorporating familiar characters and franchises with the peripheral, and while the new controller will be out sometime during spring 2010, further details, along with a name, will be provided an official announcement is made.

1. Psychotext

“the feeling you get from actually squeezing something physical is a better simulation than just positioning your finger”

RAWR

2. Hunam

Witch Touching PS3 CONFIRMED!

3. blackdreamhunk

that is if console makret doesn’t totaly tank by next year that is my prediction.

4. G1GAHURTZ

OK, so after next year, if it doesn’t tank. You’ll have to sell your PC and buy a console.

5. Phoenixblight

How about this BDH when the console market tanks you can start saying you were right til then leave or actually contribute something useful….

6. theevilaires

Is this guy for real. he really thinks that consoles suck. BDH did you not own a PS2? If not you missed out on a lot.

7. Psychotext

He’s like the PC version of how you used to be for the PS.

/runs

8. Hunam

loki > BDH

9. Len

Lol@7

I wondered where he’d got to.

As for Sony motion control…show us something worthwhile with it ‘cos I’ve seen bugger all so far.

10. Quiiick

Dr. Richard Marks absolutely nailed the benefits of having a physical controller to interact with your games.
    Project Natal is teh doom and Microsoft failed just once again …

11. Syrok

I hope they remember to put a joystick on the wand so you can move around. Or make a bunch of good strategy games. :)

12. Hunam

I have to say, I do wish there was a contoller in play with NATAL. Sans controller will work with a lot of the sports/fitness games (like say, penalty kicks etc, actually that sounds ace) but when I want to wave a sword around I’d like to hold something that will give feedback or something. I think empty plastic wont even fulfil that.

13. Anders

I agree with him. Natal seems fantastic when you just look at it – “Wow, so it detects everything I do?”, but in practice, I believe Sonys solution is way better.

14. Phoenixblight

I am with Len I am curious how the movement of the char is going to go unless it will just be fitness games and On rail shooters…

15. Hunam

I actually think NATAL will be better suited to windows apps, I know Minority Report style OS’s are silly, but that sort of usability would make for decent presentation software, maybe even show keynote a thing or two.

Thought a HOTD style game would be quite good, again if there was a controller, you could shoot with the light gut, dodge with the sensor, and even you know, swing your fists for 1:1 melee attacks, or do a kick for a rendered kick to open the door, that sort of thing, but again, hinges on a controller, and I guess the PS3 solution can do all I just said.

16. loki

“Dr. Richard Marks has been talking up Sony’s new motion controller to PC World”
    PC magazine wright about PS3
    ANOTHER EPIC pc GAMES FAIL

17. Hunam

See, loki is ace.

18. SlayerGT

CAN IT WITH THE NATAL/MINORITY REPORT SHIT ALREADY! Has anyone seen Minority Report. The interface in it is more like Sony’s Motion control than Natal. JESUS IM SICK OF IT!

19. Hunam

How is it? You just move your hands around and shit. I’m just saying it’ll really help for presentations with MR style interface, no need to get upset about it.

20. SlayerGT

Go watch the movie and you’ll wonder why this even started.

21. Razor

Doens’t the wand have rumble built in?

22. Hunam

I’ve seen it, all he has is magic finger gloves, nothing that couldn’t be done with a gesture based system. Actually holding a controller would be detrimental to the way it works in the film.

23. Syrok

They use gloves to control the screens in Minority Report. :)

Edit: Slow…

24. SlayerGT

Sorry Hunam. Its been building for a while now.

25. theevilaires

Psychotext said: He’s like the PC version of how you used to be for the PS.

/runs

(lol running from yourself)

I like how everyone thinks I am or was a Sony fanboy
    when the fact of the matter is I joined this site because the PS3 got unfair bashing daily and all I cared about was reading the comments not the articles themselves. Reading PS3 is doomed this, Sony sucks that,M$ is the best company in the world despite me going through 4 xbox360′s, got a little tiring. I had to speak up and so I came and so I shall remain.

But BDH answer my question. Did you ever own a PS2? and don’t say no you just rented one because renting systems have gone away since the SNES and SEGA GENISES Days

26. SlayerGT

Yes. Gloves with tracking orbs on the tips.

27. Psychotext

It’s a bit of a mix of both as it goes. You’d more naturally associate it with Natal though simply because he’s not holding sticks in his hands. :)

TEA: You never owned 4 360s.

28. gorman

Is there anything ruling out a controller in conjunction with Natal?

It seems to me that while it’d be kind of easy for Microsoft to create something… the technology at the base of Natal is far less easy to mimick through the PS solution.

29. theevilaires

I was talking about other people PSYCHOtext, not me of course I haven’t even own 1 yet. That’s M$ fault not mine.

30. Psychotext

You tell em TEA.

31. theevilaires

ummmm tell them what. that the reason I haven’t bought their system was because it RROD

32. Psychotext

Exactly that.

Thankfully the underlying problem is sorted now with the Jasper revision so you’ll be all fine when you grab one for Forza 3. :)

33. fearmonkey

Sony had me interested with the Bow part of the E3 video. If I could play an RPG like Oblivion where I have that type of control, I would be sold.

Natal has more general use it seems, and will appeal more to those who bought a Wii. For general sales, I think Natal has it, for hardcore games, Sony might be the one to beat.

It’s really hard to say until I see awesome games for both. Its all about the software and the tech on both sides may be killer, but IF all I get for Natal is a ton of Rayman Rabbids games, yuck!

34. fearmonkey

Also, also this minority report stuff. I think most of us would rather have the holographic motion technology that with in The 6th day anyways.

35. Psychotext

“Its all about the software and the tech on both sides may be killer, but IF all I get for Natal is a ton of Rayman Rabbids games, yuck!”

I think sadly that’s really all you’re going to get on both machines. Fitness crap, and a bunch of shitty mini games. Just like the Wii, just like eye-toy.

36. fearmonkey

@psycho – I know your probably spot on, but I can hope can’t I? Hope, pray, and maybe decieve myself a little.

37. Syrok

I’m hoping for strategy games. Or point and click.

38. SlayerGT

I dont care for motion control at all. Iv tried the Wii. Its good at what it does. I just dont like it. And I have an Eye Toy. But its name speaks for itself. I dont consider my games toys, and thats what it is. I really only got it because facial scan interested me. Imagine my disappointment. To be honest though, I have my eye on EyePet. My girlfriend does too. (Had to through that in there to clear any inaccurate thoughts)

39. Gamoc

You’re overlooking the fact that this is Sony – when Sony believe in something they really, really push it. I can see a load of proper first party games for Sony’s Wand.

40. SlayerGT

This is true. I agree.

41. theevilaires

forza3 wont be the only title I grab one for. i want to help boost the lost odyssey sales too. not to mention shadow run, too human, and bullet witch. I’m not being a smart ass i’m really interested in those games plus others…but god no vampire rain

42. Psychotext

You know you want Vampire Rain. Don’t deny yourself that.

@Gamoc: Yeah, there were loads of good first party games for the eye-toy and that utilised the sixaxis motion controls…

…ohh :P

43. No_PUDding

Psycho… There really were.

Mandatory sixaxis controls and tons of shitty PS2 EyeToy games, and there still one coming (this fall).

44. Psychotext

That one might be alright. But I can’t exactly seeing the hardcore lining up to give it a shot. :)

45. theevilaires

EyePet is a day 1 buy for me pal and I’m all the way Hardcore none of that softcore Wii crap

/this is the cue for anasui to post the “I do like to be beside the seaside” you tube link :P

46. freedoms_stain

Fuck motion control, Novint Falcons for all!!!

47. Gamoc

The Sixaxis has been used very effectively multiple times, whilst the Playstation Eye has been, too, though not as much.

High Velocity Bowling is Sixaxis only, Rag Doll Kung Fu uses Sixaxis for special moves, R&C: Tools of Destruction uses them a bit, and they all work rather well. There are more, but I’m tired…

48. Psychotext

I thought it was fucking awful in R&C (I immediately switched to stick control)… and the other two games are garbage. ;)

There’s one game where apparently it’s quite good and that’s flower, but I don’t have that yet so I couldn’t say.

49. Cort

Sixaxis works perfectly well in High Velocity Bowling, Flower and also WipEout HD (once you find a setting you’re comfortable with).

50. Gamoc

The other two games are far, far, far from garbage. In fact, Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic is an absolutely superb game. High Velocity Bowling is good – I’d have a higher opinion of it, but I can’t play it in my room (there isn’t enough room. My room is more like an ‘oom’, really).

And yep, Flower too, I forgot that one.

51. Psychotext

They’re both rated in the 60s. RDKF was fun for five minutes though, simply because it’s bizarre.

52. Michael O'Connor

*slaps Gamoc*

How could you forget Flower?! The game is easily the best use of the Sixaxis controller so far!