Estimates reveal 11 million PS3 owners use PSN

Friday, 31st July 2009 18:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

psnlogo21

During Sony’s Q1 09 earnings report, CFO Robert Wiesenthal revealed that half of PS3 users have signed up for PSN.

“I think it’s running on track, and we are expecting really great things this year from it,” he said.

According to Kotaku’s calculations, there are 23 million PS3 consoles out there and if half have signed up, that means there are currently 11 million people using PSN.

Currently, Sony measures sign-up rates for PSN by the number of individual accounts.

More through the link.

1. frostquake

Signing up and using it are TWO very Different things! I use it all the time, but me Wittle 60 Gig Hard Drive is FULL baby! And I am a wazy wittle American that wants to swap out my Hard Drive as simple as it was to swap my 20 gig for a 120 gig on my Xbox 360…Sony just give me a USB cable and a sony hard drive so I can transfer everything without having to buy an external hard drive and a new hard drive for the PS3!! If I want to upgrade my PS3 to a new larger Hard Drive..I have to buy 2 items..and External to transfer everything to and a New larger Internal one….
    Ok I know the above statement makes the cockles in some of you raise so Let your COCKLES FLY….I am Arms Opened Wide…and EYES wide Shut! ;)

2. Syrok

Er…what?

3. Phoenixblight

So your bitching because you don’t have enough money to buy an external hard drive and a new one for the PS3 so you can put more crap on….. Sounds like a personal problem there not a SOny prob

4. Stephany Nunneley

5. frostquake

@ Phoenixblight…Nope I have the money…I am just lazy!!! YEAH I Got Phoenixblights COCKLES in a RAISE!!!

6. Syrok

@Steph: It shouldn’t, they even explain how to it in the manual. :)

7. Stephany Nunneley

@Syrok – awesome news! Thanks :-)

8. frostquake

Why doesn’t Sony just Make Best Buy and Authorized Retailer to Swap out Hard Drives for the PS3? That way I could just take my PS3 in and they could transfer everything and install the new Hard Drive and I would pay extra for that! Now, does anyone else have Cockles they want to show me?? My bowl is not Full!

TIP OF THE DAY: If your a Guy, Don’t Eat Cayenne Pepper Chips and then go pee without washing your hands first, because if you don’t your Bling Bling will Get Its Fire Burning Fire Burning on the Dance Floor On!!

9. Hunam

In my entire life, I have only bought one game from best buy, Vampire: The Masquerade: Redemption. Good times.

/was on holiday and the game’s UK release was ages after

10. frostquake

Ohhhh Vampire the Masquerade Redemption…..I still have that game…You just made me want to get it out and play it again…I think I have a Laptop around here that is slow enough to play it…Thanks Hunam…you made me forget about the fire burning on my Big Big from touching it with fingers stained in Cayenne Peppers…Oh wait NOW I remember…Let the Screaming Commence!!!!!

11. Hunam

Didn’t your father warn you of the dangers of spicy fingers? It’s a life lesson that should have been imparted on you before you got the dreaded hot rod.

12. frostquake

Father…whats a Father… I raised by a raven and wooly hedgehawg??? Though I filled a bowl with Aloe Vera Juice and dunked the Hot Rod, thinking about doing sour cream or Olive Oil next LOL!!

13. theevilaires

Stephany Nunneley said: A friend of mine put a 500Gb SATA in his PS3. I am sure that voided the warranty though ;-)

nope it doesn’t void the warranty. I have two PS3′s with 500gb drives in both. I did however open my 20gb system up and cleaned out every bit of dust. That voided the warranty but i bought my 20gb three years ago so the warranty has expired a long time ago.

14. SlayerGT

HA! That 120gb cost the same as my 500gb. And I still use my 60gb as an external drive. Oh MS…you do know how to rip people off. =)

Oh wait. Thats incorrect. My 500gb was 30 bucks less. HA!

15. frostquake

@SlayerGT…Yeppers you got that right, but I was willing to pay a premium for convenience and would do so for Sony as well. There is a market out there for “convenience” shoppers, like myself. Now if my maid could only read English, I would have her do it, while I watched…LOL

16. Uncontested

So wait, you’re bitching that PS3 isn’t like Xbox where you are forced to use their hard-drives only that are grossly over priced?

17. SlayerGT

See thats what I think when I have the option to go out and find a good HDD, at almost any size I want, thats not over priced because the company selling it has to deal with competition. Your def of convenience is most different than mine.

18. theevilaires

I do like to be beside the seaside :P

19. Michael O'Connor

“I have to buy 2 items..and External to transfer everything to an a New larger Internal one…”

The two of those combined would probably cost less than a 60GB 360 hard drive anyway.

Just saying.

20. Psychotext

Odd, with the built in wireless and free online I would have expected a higher percentage of PS3 users than 360 users to have signed up to their respective services.

21. theevilaires

they should put a flashy card in every box letting the new consumer know that psn is free. sorta like what M$ does with their free 1 month subscription only M$ still counts that person as a member of live even if they don’t extend that 1 free month….I hear they set up interviews with you to convince you to stay on live if you want to cancel

I do like to be beside the seaside :P

22. anasui

hey, doesn’t work if I’m not posting it!

23. cormac616

Surely you don’t have to buy an external drive, just backup your save data on a flash drive, install your new 2.5mm sata drive, then redownload everything from the store.. see simples..

24. Cort

^^ But where is the OS?

25. theevilaires

the os is stored on system memory then unpacks it self once you installed the new HDD.

26. Cort

So it really is as easy as cormac616 says?

/heads off to check SATA drive prices

27. SlayerGT

This is the only thing I watched to learn how.