Capcom moves Dark Void into Q1 2010

Thursday, 30th July 2009 20:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

darkvoid3

Capcom has announced the delay of Dark Void into Q1 2010, which retailers had on schedule for a September 22 release – the same day as Halo 3: ODST.

The delay was made, according to the company’s community director Chiris Kramer, “in order to get the game out of the crowded fall game season.”

“The move will be great for the game and for gamers,” he told Joystiq. “Less competition in the market (curse you, Halo!), more time for polish.”

Joystiq was quick to point out though, that Q1 2010 is when Splinter Cell: Conviction, BioShock 2, Singularity, Bayonetta, and Red Steel 2 are to be released, along with a possible Mafia II, Red Dead Redemption, God of War 3, Heavy Rain, MAG, Darksiders, Aliens vs. Predator, and Alan Wake.

1. Razor

Tough to call, but I’m saying God Of War 3 is gonna win in that quarter.

2. Phoenixblight

“crowded fall season” Because of Halo, not sure why companies do this Dark Void is not a FPS. Different genres different fans. I am not wasting my hard earned money to buy a shallow crappy game like Halo so I have to suffer because Halo scares developers…

What happened to the good old days where releases were released when they were finished if another game had the same release date they would “duke” it out with sales. Bunch of pansies with this COD and Halo Bullshit

3. Anders

There are too many motherfucking games in this motherfucking quarter!

Seriously, what is going on? And if Capcom wanted to avoid ODST, delaying Dark Void to november or december seems like a more viable alternative.

Can’t we delay christmas a month or two?

4. TastyAcidMilkk

lol what crowded end of year? nearly all the games have been delayed till 2010

5. Phoenixblight

Just stock up on Gift cards and just hold out on your vacation time when all the good games will be released in Q1 2010

6. Patrick Garratt

Sweet jeepers. There’ll be nothing left.

7. Johnny Cullen

Should I still give a fuck about Q4 now and just care about Halo 3: ODST and Modern Warfare 2?

8. No_PUDding

Do people really think Halo ODST is going to be so big?

None of my friends even know about it. These beignt he friends that went out an bought 360′s the week before Halo 3 came out.

9. theevilaires

yea my money is on GOW3. these devs are clearly trying to stay away from MW2 as much as possible. fucking cowards, grow some balls. years ago they all couldn’t wait to release their games around the holiday season. now they want to hide like bitches.

Hey assholes ever think about releasing games during june,july,and august. the economy is fucked right now and more and more families can’t afford big vacations like they use to. Even I came back from California because all my buddies weren’t leaving their home states.

PS3 trophies are on the peak of popularity and gamers can’t wait to buy some good games so they can just sit back and relax and enjoy their hobbies at home. some publishers should have taken a chance with a top AAA title this summer to see how things would have turned out. But all we got is an overpriced FPS touted as the best game this summer LMAO!!!!!

Oh well GOW3 FTW in Q1 2010 :P

10. Razor

11. Hunam

Halo and CoD, anything else is a crowd apparently.

12. Phoenixblight

MW2 is a multiplatform game, I wouldn’t put my money on even GT5 outselling that game The last COD sold what 11 million thats hell of a number…

13. Psychotext

“Do people really think Halo ODST is going to be so big?”

Define big… it’ll do 4 million without breaking a sweat. As for your friends not knowing about it, wait til the Microsoft marketing machine starts up. They’ll be sick of hearing about it within a week.

:P

14. Anders

@TastyAcidMilk

Well, yeah, that was indeed my point.

15. Razor

Well I didn’t say outselling it…I said challenge.

Though it is worth noting that GT3 sold 14.89…COD sold 13 million, and that was on 3 platforms; 4 if you include the Mac.

And Sony are gonna bundle the hell out of GT5…I know bundling is technically cheating…but Sony want hardware as well as software sales.

And GT3 specifically proves that it can do both.

16. No_PUDding

Seriously… When did ODST become a big deal? People aren’t scared of an expansion pack, without Master Chief. It’s not a number.

And more to the point it’s in September, more than early enough for others to escape.

People aren’t scared of Halo. I don’t even think it’s MW2 they’re scared of. It never used to phase them, to release a title that was obviously going to get swamped.

Perhaps publishers, are doing this so studios development cycles differ, so that their next 2 year development will be completed during the summer.

17. SlayerGT

I KNOW WHERE MY INCOME TAX CHECK IS GOING!!

18. Psychotext

“Seriously… When did ODST become a big deal?”

It’s a game with Halo in the title, that’s also an FPS. It’s a big deal by default (like it or not). See here as an example: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24167

I agree that it’s unlikely people are trying to get out of the way of it though. I do think they’re trying to get out of the way of CoD.

19. Hunam

GT3 has had like 8 years and bundles ahoy on the market, MW has had 2 years and no bundles, so there is a difference.

Halo is a big deal, and whilst CoD is a behemoth on it’s own, the Halo/CoD double whammy is what’s scaring most people off. Plus Assassin’s Creed is a force to be reckoned with too, with the first selling 8 million.

20. Razor

I’m pretty sure GT3 sales have been plummeting for the last 4 years of those 8.

21. Psychotext

I’m not sure it matters anyway. GT3 isn’t GT5 and the PS2 isn’t the PS3.

CoD:MW is a known quantity in this generation.

22. Johnny Cullen

“This is a perfect time for Sony to slip in GT5 for December, preferably before Xmas.

It’s only one of a few games that can realistically challenge MW2…and maybe Sony feel like doing a little something to piss off Activision…”

I can actually see that happening somewhat.

I hope it does, just to see Acti’s reaction and for the LOLZ :D

23. Psychotext

Maybe they already know it’s coming, hence the angry outburst? :D

24. Johnny Cullen

:D

25. No_PUDding

Psycho, I don’t ‘like it or not’, but it being a game with ther words Halo on it, was always a given, I am not an idiot.

It’s just not Modern Warfare 2.

And awareness data is always the most spurious shit ever, especially when it comes without any detail of how the studies were done outside of how many people were surveyed.

26. Johnny Cullen

“But then people are stupid and publishers are bad at marketing. My friend thought Prototype was an Assassins Creed sequel.”

XD

27. No_PUDding

He got angry at me, that we hadn’t gone to pick it up and play it in a parallel fashion, as we did with AC1. To which I was confused, reiterating the sequel was out in November.

He was cross he bought it. I wonder how many people bought it, thinking it was Assassins Creed?

28. Psychotext

“In all honesty – It’s ridiculous to think God of War is a bigger franchise than GT. And Modern Warfare 2 will sell more than Halo ODST, so ultimately it doesn’t have any indication on the sales.”

Actually… in the US (where these figures are from) it’s really not that unusual to think that GoW is that big. In terms of first month sales it’s very comparable to GT.

The MW2 situation was different, yes, it will sell more than ODST but at the time of that survey it was just Modern Warfare 2, not Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

29. No_PUDding

Yeah that is true.

But not for God of War… God of War just isn’t that impressive-selling a franchise.

30. Psychotext

It is in the US: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_March_2007

31. No_PUDding

Didn’t Fable 2 or Gears do 5 million in the first month?

32. Psychotext

Umm, no. :P

33. No_PUDding

Is Halo 3 the fastest sellign game evre by doign 3 million in the first month ?

Haha…. Oh dear.

34. Psychotext

GT4, for comparison pulled 1.5m in 11 months in the US. I can’t find full year numbers right now, but God of War 2 did a million in the first two months on sale.

35. No_PUDding

Jesus…

Wow, I had really underestimated GoW.

Still… I don’t want it as much as GT5 :D

36. Psychotext

I can’t argue with that. :)

GT games are bigger though, they just sell over a very long period.

37. Hunam

Didn’t Halo 3 get the 3 million in the first week globally?

38. No_PUDding

Thats impressive.

39. Psychotext

No, that was 3.3m in the US in the first 12 days on sale.

(Or basically the time between it launching and the end of the NPD reporting period)

40. Hunam

CoD 4 seemed to be a bit of a burner actually, it started of great, but behind halo, but then as time went buy people kept buying it. Seems worth of mouth means a damn and the constant £30+ retail price means that day 1 sales didn’t mean that much in the grand scheme.

I’m much more of a fan of the way nintendo markets their games to be honest, we were still seeing nintendogs adverts even this year on the tv, it’s about time publishers woke up to the fact not everyone buys games week 1, half the buying public probably have no idea when games even come out. GTA’s advertising these days mind is just, oh, hey , GTA’s out on this day. That’s all they need to do :)