Team 17: Microsoft bribery claims are “bollocks”

Tuesday, 28th July 2009 15:56 GMT By Johnny Cullen

alien-breed

Team 17 boss Martyn Brown has said that claims of bribery from Microsoft over the timed exclusivity of Alien Breed: Evolution for Xbox Live Arcade, are “bollocks”, although understands there are PS3 owners who are pissed at the exclusivity deal.

“I understand that. It’s difficult. Obviously we’d like everything on every platform day one. The LIVE Arcade thing… we get accused of being bribed or we’ve took Microsoft’s money, and it’s all bollocks,” Brown told Videogamer .

“The reason is that we’ve got a long relationship with Microsoft’s first party unit. We get on great with them. In exchange for exclusivity we get a lot more promotion. We’ve got a closer deal with them. That’s just how it is. It’s unfortunate. That’s just how we work.”

The Team 17 boss further went on to cite PSN games, Super Stardust HD and PAIN, as examples of games 360 owners cant get their hands on due to exclusivity.

“They’ve [Sony] got their own exclusives. You look at Super Stardust, which is exclusive to PS3. It works the other way round. For people complaining, at the same time, people on LIVE Arcade can’t play Super Stardust or PAIN or a bunch of titles. It’s just the way the world works really.”

The game’s out on Xbox Live Arcade sometime this Fall with a PSN and PC release sometime later.

1. Razor

Don’t worry Martyn, I’m not going to miss it.

2. JesteR

What an idiot…. he says “In exchange for exclusivity we get a lot more promotion.”

Promotion costs money so they dont get cash but they do get something out of it.

3. Johnny Cullen

Jester – What he means is that they’d get alot more promotion on XBLA then they would on the PSN.

I assume that would be the end game anyways.

4. Psychotext

I love down to earth responses from devs. :)

On a different note… it still makes me laugh how much people cry about exclusives. Buy the console it’s on, or quit complaining. It’s not like they’re a new thing (hell, there’s less of them this gen than last gen).

5. Blerk

I can’t quite figure out why people are surprised that temporary exclusive deals happen.

Scenario 1:
    Make game, release game on multiple platforms, make money.

Scenario 2:
    Make game, take money from platform holder, release game on one platform, make money, wait a while, release game on other platforms, make more money

One of those scenarios features ‘more money’. Where’s the surprise? And why do the customers think they’re somehow more important than the money?

6. DrDamn

@Johnny
    I don’t think that is the point JesteR is making. Essentially it isn’t bollocks – they are taking something in return for the exclusivity. Whether it’s money directly or indirectly. Telling people they are talking bollocks is just going to piss them off more isn’t it?

Just say – yeah we are getting a lot more promotion in exchange for exclusivity – and leave it at that. Don’t patronise people by claiming it’s not like taking money for it.

7. SticKboy

@ Razor: Son, clearly you don’t know a good game when you see one.

8. Bulk Slash

@Psychotext

I almost think the greater number of exclusives this generation means it’s more likely for people to complain about exclusives than less. In the past you picked your platform based on the exclusives and that was that. These days when most games come to both systems the exceptions seem to piss people off more.

9. fearmonkey

Psycho was right on.
    I can’t play Pain as I don’t have a PS3. Too bad for me.
    It’s the way it is.

The PS3 has some great titles we will never see on the 360. The 360 has more, but a lot of them are fluff and not worth purchasing for the money they ask. The PS3 titles are fewer but seem to be worth the cash.

10. Hero of Canton

I just want to know why PS3 owners will be getting drunk at the exclusivity deal. ;)

11. FlibbertyGibbet

Complete non-story. Of course timed exclusivity can mean less initial sales, so surely it must get compensated for in whatever way the platform holder can make attractive. Otherwise it wouldn’t happen. Duh! There’s nothing to see here. Move on.

Its not “bribery”. I don’t bribe the shopkeeper in exchange for my breakfast. I don’t bribe the taxi driver to take me into town. Its an inappropriate word, used just to make an emotive headline.

12. DrDamn

The story is more that he’s said it’s bollocks when clearly what people implied has somewhat happened. No it’s not bribery but T17 have made the decision to give timed exclusivity in exchange for services/something. As I said above – that’s fine, but don’t claim it’s all bollocks.

13. Psychotext

“we get accused of being bribed or we’ve took Microsoft’s money, and it’s all bollocks”

On being bribed or taking MS’s money… it does seem to be bollocks. You can argue semantics, but he’s basically right about those.

Unless co-marketing counts as bribery?