ShopTo worried publishers are following Modern Warfare 2 price trend

Tuesday, 28th July 2009 18:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

risingcosts

ShopTo bossman Igor Cipolletta has relayed that he is worried over the newest “trend” of pricey franchise games.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Cipolletta fears that publishers are following Activision’s lead in this respect, thanks to the announced price increase for Modern Warfare 2.

“Whether planned, or a case of jumping on the popular franchises bandwagon, we have seen Microsoft increase the price of Forza 3 to GBP 49.99 and Nintendo increase the price of Professor Layton [and Pandora's Box] to GBP 34.99,” he told the site. “I sincerely hope that not all publishers will follow this lead.

“The price increases that some publishers think the market can stand are, to say the least, a worrying trend, and appear to be more than just a result of currency fluctuations.”

Cipolletta commended Capcom for dropping the price of its games to GBP 39.99, but felt the price increase for Wii did not go over as well as Nintendo hoped.

“Subsequent to the price increase and as a result of the European ‘free market’ the console is in plentiful supply and some chain stores were forced to discount the machine to gain cash back,” he added. “I think this is a demonstration that the market was either unable or unwilling to stomach the Nintendo hardware price increase.”

Thanks, GI.biz.

1. SticKboy

So in an economic downturn, videogames publishers respond by upping prices?

Thank heavens I’m not interested in any of those games mentioned, otherwise I’d be pretty gosh-darn PO’d.

2. Spiral

Meh. Game prices go up, I wait longer for the price to drop before I buy them.

3. Enkeixpress

Well damn.. I won’t be buying games on release then!

4. Psychotext

Yeah, I’ve found waiting for prices to drop to be a very effective tactic. There’s way too much to play anyway.

5. SunKing

This is a little crazy for me because they’re already enough games out there I’d want to buy. So the obvious choice, for me, is to hold off on these higher priced titles until they go down. Dyack may have been right when he said that they’re too many games on the market, in that sense. And at a slashed price point, surely the game makers receive less in revenue?

Also, this isn’t forgetting that I can get a subscription to a rental service and pay £15 a month for two games at a time. Considering that most games are much shorter now, have little replay value and generally poor multiplayer, I can get through A LOT of games that way without paying any money directly to the publisher (or developer).

Either way you look at it, with these cheaper options available, it just encourages more people to do what I do, instead of buying games at release. Hence, I can’t see high prices doing the industry any favours.