Marvel sackboys coming to LBP

Monday, 27th July 2009 06:54 GMT By Patrick Garratt

littlebigplanet7

LittleBigPlanet may get a set of Marvel superhero sackboys, according to Kotaku.

Details are a little uncertain from the look of that piece, but three concept renders were shown at Comic Con over the weekend of Iron Man, Wolverine and Captain America in sack-form.

No date, or anything. Take a look.

1. TheTwelve

And Iron Man Sackboy would please me…IMMENSELY.

2. Psychotext

Just think of all the money they’d be losing out on had they allowed people to share their created sackboys.

3. Mike

New single player levels would be awesome. I haven’t changed my Sackboy’s clothes once since I originally designed it.

4. DrDamn

@Psychotext
    You can’t really do much creatively with a Sackboy. You can switch about elements so you have Kratos with a Zebra head on – but you are just mix-and-matching. I suppose you can also sticker them or add deely boppers but it’s not like people could have come up with a Wolverine Sackboy themselves. These are custom modelled.

Never actually paid for one myself, but they seem to be making money from them so why not.

5. Psychotext

“You can’t really do much creatively with a Sackboy.”

You haven’t been paying attention. There’s all sorts of textures being used, stickers etc etc. Some people have some fantastic custom sackboys… they just can’t share them. There’s levels giving instructions on how to make them, but it’s really not the same.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8ktRVF47BQ
    or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLAUtgkXysM&

(and many more)

6. Johnny Cullen

I agree with Mike. The game is crying for more levels in the style of the Metal Gear Solid pack.

I hope we see something in the FFVII pack.

7. theevilaires

just think about how much money M$ would lose if they offered a free online multiplayer package for xbox live :P

8. DrDamn

@Psychotext
    That’s fair enough, but still not the same as the custom modelled sackboys they sell. Besides the examples use level design to create the sticker, so they can share the level – and even the custom sticker too (as a level prize).

9. Psychotext

Yes, but you still need to have the skill to place all the stickers accurately. It just doesn’t work. We’re not talking about just one “texture” that you throw on, some of them use 10s of stickers and take quite a bit of work and positioning.

I can’t really comment on the “custom modelled aspect” of it. When the end result is pretty much the same I’m not sure how much it matters.

10. DrDamn

Ok. For me there is a clear quality difference between the player created and paid for content though. Some of the player created stuff is inventive, but not quite right.

11. Psychotext

Those vids probably weren’t the best examples, but it was just a two second search. I’ve seen some utterly brilliant stuff in multiplayer games which looks just as good as the pro stuff.

I’m sure 99% of the joker attempts are shit though. :)

12. theevilaires

can we get a professional in here please…oh Syrok

13. Syrok

I bring you news of moar costumez.

Seriously hope they announce something much more substantial soon.:/

Yes, there are plenty of good user created Sackboys. Just go on any fansite and you’ll find plenty of threads like this one