Ubisoft working on Beyond Good and Evil “stuff”, but its future is uncertain

Thursday, 23rd July 2009 17:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

beyondgoodandevila

Ubisoft’s North America’s president, Laurent Detoc, has said that a team has been working on some BGAE “stuff” and despite the Ubidays video and screen leaks, the game’s not coming anytime soon as the series’ future is still up in the air.

“Whether or not it comes out remains to be seen anyway, but we didn’t want to abandon that IP because it has a cache and authenticity about it,” Detoc told IndustryGamers. “There’s something very pure about that game and it’s too bad that we were not able to build it as an IP at the time.

“I didn’t say there’s definitely going to be another game. I said something had leaked, which means we’ve been working on some Beyond Good and Evil stuff, but whether there’s going to be another game or not, that’s something for the future. But getting to your question as to why there’s work on the IP again, it’s a creative people business; the creative talent is interested in it and possibly exploring how to do it from a new angle.

“I’ll tell you, I didn’t know about the leak and neither did my boss. The problem when you do stuff like [intentional leaks] is if you get caught it’s really bad. Looking back at our history, I don’t remember anything we’ve done of that nature.”

More through the link.

1. Anders

So the video was from BGaE2 then? I can’t see it being confirmed in the quotes.

2. Stephany Nunneley

give me a sec to go through the interview again.

Edit: Made it less confusing. The video I implied was the one shown at Ubidays last year not the leaked one…. the leaks he is talking about, I assume, are the screens which is why I typed screen leaks.

Sorry if it caused any confusion.

Edit 2: You know what? He never exactly says what the leaks were, so it is quite possible the supposed leaked video is what he was talking about. If so, that’s grand. :-)

3. Len

I really really really hope they do go ahead.

BGE was a fanastic game, thoroughly enjoyed it but I can see why they might have some difficulty selling it to the masses these days.

Here’s hoping…

4. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I saw the video and whatever game it’s for, it looked truly next gen and more fluid than anything I’ve seen to date.

Here’s the link to video I’m referencing:

5. ShiroGamer

that didn’t answer my question
    is there a BG&E 2 or not ?

6. Stephany Nunneley

GASP! Dr.Ghetto! You should have used this link instead!!!

*wink wink nudge nudge*

7. Dr.Ghettoblaster

My bad Stephany! – I’m lazy and google is one of my many weaknesses…lol

8. Stephany Nunneley

Mine too :-)

9. No_PUDding

Either way it’s completely, completely, completely, insanely pre-rendered.

Imagine trying to play a game with a camera like that.