Rare – Avatars have “changed the face of the Xbox”

Friday, 17th July 2009 08:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

avatars6

Rare animation head Louise Ridgeway told VG247 at Develop this week that the developer’s work on 360′s Avatar system had altered consumers perception of the machine as something for “hardcore gamers”.

“I really think that we’ve kind of changed the face of the Xbox,” she said.

“It’s gone from something that was always perceived as a hardcore gamer’s console. I mean, I really like games. I like Resident Evil, I like Street Fighter, I like the typical boys games, but when I boot up the Xbox 360 and my daughter gets on there to play Street Fighter – she’s really good as Ken – I’m feel really proud of the fact that she can join in.

“It’s just that little bit more inviting, you know, and I think it broadens it to a whole new demographic of people.”

Ridgeway added that 360′s exeperience is inclusive, and should be viewed as such.

“It’s a really great console, and there’s so many great things on it to play that everybody should be involved,” she said.

You can listen to the full interview with Louise, recorded at Develop this week, in our latest podcast.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Rubbish.

2. SticKboy

LR <3 SMF

tee-hee ;)

3. Len

Still haven’t bothered with an avatar…why on earth do I ‘need’ one…?

4. reask

I done one but I have never bothered doing anything since.
    Mind you my daughter is always changing hers so I suppose it is aimed at the younger audience in all fairness.

5. Robster1979

I think they are brilliant.

1v100 really puts them to good use. They are hilarious!

6. Psychotext

I actually do like them in 1v100, but not really seen much of a use for them elsewhere. The kart racing game with them in might be fun.

They annoy the fuck out of me in Worms though.

7. Blerk

Oh, that reminds me…. free 1 vs 100 tonight. I might have a go.

8. Enkeixpress

Xbox 360 will always be a “Hardcore” Gaming Machine in my eyes.

9. fearmonkey

Avatars have truly helped with interest with female gamers. I know multiple women who have bought a 360 in the last few months due to 1 vs 100, and they love the Avatars.
    Most of my guy friends don’t hate them, but don’t really care about them.

10. No_PUDding

Man, Louise sounded cute.

Don’t tell me what she looked like, you might ruin what’s going on in my head.