PS3 motion tech is “very, very precise,” says Sony

Friday, 17th July 2009 11:24 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3motion1

SCEE R&D boss Paul Holman told Edge at Develop this week that PS3′s upcoming motion technology will cause advancement in games thanks to its precision.

“I think we can just say that it’s very, very precise,” he said. “People are going to be able to take games in this space forward because of the precision aspects.”

Kish Hirani, head of dev services, gave an example.

“The classic example I give to people is that the most precise thing you can do is write your name using a [piece of] chalk on a blackboard,” he said.

“Try doing that with a mouse and it’s bloody difficult.”

More through there. Sony showed the tech in action at the UK conference yesterday.

1. No_PUDding

Exciting….

DS game copiez.

2. Robster1979

What are they do that the Wii hasnt already tho?

PS3 graphics, Wii games?

3. Psychotext

With the Wii setup you can’t tell distance from the screen, nor the distance between the two controllers. Not to mention that with this setup both controllers are just as accurate as each other.

4. Tonka

Measure distance between the two sticks…
    SIM Accordion CONFIRMED!

5. Psychotext

:D

6. Blerk

I’m imagining some sort of air traffic controller sim. :-D

7. No_PUDding

Having played Chinatown Wars, I don’t mind some gimmicky things….

Lets see how it goes, I am open to it, but not too open. Writing for adventure games would be awesome. Yeah adventure games in general should be augemented by these motion controllers (all of the companies)

8. DrDamn

@Robster1979
    The use of two controllers together and (hopefully) a sensible amount of usable buttons would be distinguishers for me. With two controllers used in conjunction you can have a look and a point at the same time which would transform FPS. Any set-up I’ve used on the Wii for FPS ends up compromised because of having look and point on the same control.

9. Enkeixpress

Nice.

I’m sure Microsoft say the very same thing about their motion tech too. :)

10. Cort

We’ve known about what PSEye can do for ages and how 90% of what Natal can do is not new, not revolutionary and actually catching up with other technology. Sony have completely failed to capitalise on it.

11. Cort

BTW About a year ago I was on the website of a London developer with Sony links (I’ll try and track down which one it was). On their “future titles” page was a Blu-ray release of seven motion-control games for the PS Eye, due 2009. A month later it disappeared from the site, never to be seen again.

No WTF happened to that, SCEE?

EDIT: It was “Play Factory” by Curve Studios.