Final Fantasy XIII character information featured in Jump

Thursday, 16th July 2009 18:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ffxiii

Final Fantasy XIII information has been revealed in the latest issue of Japanese magazine, Jump.

A character named Hope Estheim is included in the game, and apparently she holds a grudge against one of the main characters, Snow. He got his mother involved in a fight using boomerang-style weapons.

Guess she didn’t think that was kosher.

Vanille is the character who looks like a bit like Rikku, and she uses a yoyo-style weapon that she swings around. Her backstory is currently still a mystery.

Hope that got you gagging for the game again.

It’s out in Japan later this year, and the rest of the planet is getting sometime in 2010.

Via CVG.

1. Jonathan Cullen

Vanille is old news :P

Wanna know more about the silver haired boy.

2. Syrok

He is a girl. :P

3. ecu

Think I might go in to media blackout on this game.

4. Michael O'Connor

This game just gets worse and worse.

The characters names are terrible. Lightning? Snow? Hope? Vanille (Vanilla ice-cream?). What next? Peaches? Cream? Chocolate Sunday?

This wouldn’t be so bad if the gameplay in every video so far didn’t look stilted and dull. Not to mention the fact that its plot-line is almost completely ripped from Final Fantasy VII.

You don’t make a classic by emulating one.

After the character maturity and beautiful writing of FFXII, this teen angst bullshit is tiresome and outdated. No doubt it will sell like hot-cakes though.

5. Aimless

They’ll probably call the next character Cloud or something stupid like that. They’re a bunch of idiots if they think names like that will catch on!

6. Michael O'Connor

“They’ll probably call the next character Cloud or something stupid like that.”

I’ll admit it. I laughed out loud.

7. Jonathan Cullen

Lightning’s meant to be the female Cloud.

Apparently.

8. Aimless

I’m actually really looking forward to this. Sure I’d like it if the series grew up with its audience rather than constantly targeting the same static demographic, but that doesn’t change the fact that I can see this easily surpassing every JRPG of the generation so far. Not that I mean to damn it with faint praise.

Also I felt complete apathy towards both FFXII‘s characters and plot, although the world itself was quite interesting. Not that the character concepts themselves were bad, per se, more that there was no development to keep you interested nor was there much revealed about each one throughout the course of the game.

9. Scyrenn

i could use some teen angst right now, i’m bored…

10. Phoenixblight

@ AImless QFT

I am very much looking forward to this game, the only JRPG I have liked in the past few years was Lost Odysee which is sad comparing to the older RPGs ie ; FF2, FF3, Vagrant story, Xenogears the list gets huge but you get what I am saying.

11. scratchy69

I’m with Mr O’Connor on this one – this one feels like a bit of step back from XII, so it does.

12. Phoenixblight

Sorry but FFXII was by far the most half baked FF ever made, the original creator had cancer and had to be treated so they put in some noob in to finish the rest of it and thats what comes out. It was first FF I took back to sell to get another game.

13. Michael O'Connor

“Sorry but FFXII was by far the most half baked FF ever made.”

That’s a matter of opinion. Me, personally, I appreciated the lack of focus on angst ridden teenagers. It was nice to see the franchise grow up for once. I also thought the combat system was really impressive, and inventive.

“the original creator had cancer”

Wow, you must be privy to some super secret information we never knew about. The only official word is that he left for “health reason”. Funnily enough, he was back making games for another company a few months later, much like Sakaguchi did when he “retired”.

“so they put in some noob in to finish the rest of it and thats what comes out.”

“It was first FF I took back to sell to get another game.”

That says far more about you than it does about the quality of the game. What, was it too hard for you? Did it take too much *gameplay* on your parts to reap the rewards? Was the story too subtle to keep the interest of your short attention span?