Dyack: Single platform future is “inevitable”

Thursday, 16th July 2009 14:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

denisdyacka2

Speaking at Develop today, Silicon Knights’ Denis Dyack reiterated his claim that a single-format future is the way forward for the games industry.

Questioned if a sole platform industry could ever become a reality, Dyack said it is “inevitable”.

“The value of technology is becoming less and less significant compared to the games that are on it. It’s costing hardware manufacturers more and more to do research and development. Video game publishers are having a harder and harder time making money,” he said.

Lots more on VG.

1. Hunam

Oh god, Dyacks back.

2. SticKboy

Why does he even get coverage? The man hasn’t even got a rep left to ruin.

3. blackdreamhunk

hardware makers have them self to blame!you mess with pc gaming we miss with you! I can’t wait to see AMD go bankuprt! Maybe then people will wake up! In the mean time enjoy your the rid while more and more people lose thier jobs and go bankuprt. I mean the games Industry wanted pc gaming dead for so long and here are the results! you made your bed now live in it!

4. Blerk

What are you talking about?

5. G1GAHURTZ

There could probably never be a single platform, because people like the EU would come along and fine whichever company who tried to do it about £999bn for anti competitive practices and force them to share all their hardware secrets with some useless small budget company.

Oh, and publishers will probably die out eventually too, when (high-end) cloud gaming becomes possible…

6. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

bdh at his best!

7. blackdreamhunk

pc gaming is the back bone of the pc Industry! sorry console can’t sustain big companies like AMD! I can’t rember the exact numbers but I think it’s 65% of people who buy pc’s use them gaming.

game devs like epic games and the games indsutry wanted consoles so let them! Enjoy your high production costs!Enjoy going bankuprt too!

8. Zarckan

Is this twat back again?!?! GO AWAY NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU SAY

9. blackdreamhunk

yep they made their beds let them live in it. SO how is the high production costs working for you console games these days. Yea I bet AMD is in pantic mode right now as each day they grow closer and closer to bankuprtcy.

Enjoy the ride because it’s going to get worse. I don’t mind because I know my hardware parts will be cheaper soon. Pc gaming is booming in a recession and our hardware parts will get cheaper. So it’s win win for pc gamers.

10. Hunam

I might start taking bets on when Cloud gaming becomes a reality and when it inevitably crashes and burns.

11. Blerk

I was under the impression that AMD made rather a lot of processors for PCs. Did that change while I was having too much fun playing console games?

12. Hunam

I’m not sure what the fuck he is going on about with AMD to be honest.

13. Syrok

It’s probably his multiple personality disorder shining through. Wonder which side will win. Loki or bdh?

14. blackdreamhunk

AMD has 80% percent of it’s hardware in consoles right now. ever since the 3 major consoles went to retail they have been on a decline. They are so close to bankuprtcy that they had to take intel to court and get billions off on them. It’s not going to save them when the hardware market is crashing.

pc gamers are not going to save them because frankly there is no new high games worth buying. There is no need to buy high end hardware until next year.

15. G1GAHURTZ

Todays news suggests AMD are just fine…

16. G1GAHURTZ

bdh said:
    “pc gamers are not going to save them because frankly there is no new high games worth buying.”

LOL!!!

17. blackdreamhunk

Syrok you can enjoy the ride while big companies go bankuprt. when a company spends billions on consoles the ceo’s have personality disorder! console gaming have a huge track record of comapines going bankuprt.

18. G1GAHURTZ

What, no youtube links today?

19. blackdreamhunk

i don’t need to because the article speaks for it self :)I have only being saying this since last year. i have said it on edge too now it’s coming to pass.

20. G1GAHURTZ

Oh, ok then.

21. NiceFellow

I single specification, maybe, but even that seems unlikely to me at the present.

He seems to view videogames as DVD’s where you could have multiple manufacturers on the HW side, but I thing its a false analogy.

Only when the HW is elsewhere, and you’re simply accessing the content will this be possible I suspect.

22. Michael O'Connor

“The man hasn’t even got a rep left to ruin.”

His paycheck and 10 + years of work would argue otherwise.

23. Morrius

Michael:

I’m sure Too Human 2 will be amazing though. Smirk.

24. Filofax

25. Michael O'Connor

“The failure or Too Human and Dyacks increasingly moronic ramblings leading up to it would indicate otherwise. He’s pretty much a joke now, isn’t he?”

Only amongst internet fanboys who are stuck in the past and can’t see beyond their own jaded, cynical ignorance.

“Its hard to take Denis seriously after he bragged his last game to high heaven, and it turned out to smell worse than 6 month old Gorgonzola.”

I personally thought it was brilliant. Just way too short.

26. SunKing

I think he’s probably right on this. For the record, though, I didn’t think much of Too Human.

27. fearmonkey

Dyack should have kept his mouth closed more during Too Human’s development, but before that fiasco, Silcon Knights had some great games. It’s not fair to dismiss him for one game, and a mistake other developers have made. If he keeps doing it, then he deserves it. I betting he won’t be making the same mistakes.

Lets looks at the past attempt on single platform gaming, the 3DO. That worked well didn’t it? uh no.

Even if cloud gaming takes over, i imagine that each company will have it’s own cloud. With a single platform, there wouldn’t be as much reason to innovate, and games would be stagnant. This of course would be the best thing for PC gaming, as it would take over again.
    The company that owns the network, owns the advertising dollars, controls everything. I can’t see companies like Sony or MS giving that up. I think this is wishful thinking.

28. mortiferus

Dyack’ single platform will be a jail cell for stealing EPIC’s IP. Though know that I think about it making too human could be punishment enough…