Crackdown only managed to break even, says Dave Jones

Thursday, 16th July 2009 15:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

crackdowna21

Crackdown may have been a huge hit with gamers, but apparently the game only broke even money-wise for the developers and Microsoft.

“With Crackdown we sold about 1.5 million copies, but even at that we pretty much only managed to break even,” Dave Jones told Gamasutra. “It was due to the amount of factors that were out of our control as the developer, influences such as GameStop’s amazing used-game sales.

“We know 1.5 million new copies were sold, but it’s likely there were 2.5 – 3 million sold when you include used.”

Wow. Sorry ’bout that.

Via IndustryGamers.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I reckon around about 1.4 million of those sales were people only buying it for the Halo 3 beta…

…I know I did!

2. SwiftRanger

1.5 million copies sold and barely breaking even? Wtf? Even Crysis made a nice profit with about the same amount of copies sold.

3. Patrick Garratt

He said between 2.5 and 3 million actually played it. It was one of the reasons they didn’t do a sequel.

4. No_PUDding

Well the install abse was MUCH smaller, you can’t expect Gears of War style sales.

5. freedoms_stain

When I read stories like this and about the cost and timeframe involved in producing a game it really makes me wonder about the efficiency of game development – it strikes me as perhaps a bit low tbh.

As for used game sales: work on your replayability factor and it’ll become less of an issue.

6. MushroomStamp

umm.. there IS a sequel

7. Aimless

Wasn’t Crackdown in development for 5 years or something like that? I believe it was intended to be an original Xbox game but was dogged by quite a lot of setbacks during development, which casts this situation in something of a different light.

8. Jadeskye

doesn’t surprise me, i saw that game second-hand everywhere.

A ton of people bought it for the halo 3 beta then dropped it.

9. BraveArse

I get the impression Dave Jones was really really stung by MS over CrackDown, both over the initial release of it and the subsequent move by MS to give it to Ruffian. He certainly seems to be taking large steps to keep as much control of his new IP and the finances from it as he possibly can. Some might say fairly drastic ones.