Valkyria Chronicles sequel announced for PSP

Wednesday, 15th July 2009 16:12 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

valkyriachronicles

Sega has announced details for Valkyria Chronicles 2 in this week’s Famitsu but instead of coming to PS3 like its predecessor, it will launch for PSP.

The game’s producer, Shuntaro Tanaka, told the magazine that while not “necessarily bound to handheld systems in the future”, the game is coming to PSP “to allow a broader spectrum of users to discover and enjoy what makes Valkyria special.”

Taking place two years after the original in Gallia, with a new threat called the Gallia Revolutionary Army. The government’s military is minimal at best since the previous war, so students at a military school are called upon to take up the slack.

Using the same battle system as before, players will control military cadets, and the storyline is told through the eyes of 17-year-old Avan Hardence. There are also loads more missions than in the first iteration, along with more customization.

Game’s this winter in Japan, with a US and European date to be announced.

For more information, check out 1UP.

1. Blerk

Bloody PSP! Ruins everything!

2. Hunam

Would love it on the PS3, but more is more all the same :)

3. dirigiblebill

As long as this doesn’t wall out further Valkyria Chronicle projects for high def consoles, I’m cautiously optimistic.

Don’t cut the plot just because she’s on handheld, Sega. We’ll have no TRPG-lite spin-off gubbins in this hoose.

4. phatb0y

I think this is better suited to the PSP than the PS3. Provided the load times can be kept realistically short.

The beauty of having nerdwank SRPGs on a portable is that they can be played anywhere, thus increasing the time you can devote to your gaming autism.

Its a beautiful looking game on the PS3, but for practical purposes the PSP is the platform of choice.

/Looks at copy of Disgaea

/Looks at toilet seat shaped ring on arse

/Dies a little inside

5. Hunam

I never really bother with my PSP unless it’s for something exceptional like MGSPO or Crisis Core because outside of the major cities public transport is a waste of time, thus no need to game on commute’s and when I do have work lunch breaks are usually spend on lunch or socialising, then I drive home and roll out the home consoles/PC.

6. rainer

Ugh way to go Sega ruin Valkyria Chronicles, anyone who’s seen the scans can see they’ve changed the artwork to crappy cheap looking anime and they look like they are all in their teens (in fact one of the translations is concept highschool + war).

The PSP is big in Japan of course so they’ve re-targeted the game for that teen user base. Plus the PSP is a pain to use for any third person game involving aiming with analogue sticks.

Was hoping for a expansion pack maybe featuring general Jaeger after the end of the game but this is the sequel! just gutted.

7. No_PUDding

Such a waste.

It clearly isn’t the same development team, so their A-team had better be fucking working on Valkyria Chronicle 3. For HD systems.

I read also about multiplayer,a nd adhoc some shit something or other on the PS3. Who knows, but I expect Monster Hunter style shit involved. COME TO PS3 TOO! MUCH BETTER MP THERE!

8. No_PUDding

Also, pisses me off, becuase there would have been graphical improvements in the sequel.

9. theevilaires

looking forward to it but please release a trophy patch for the first :-(

10. frostquake

I still love the Val Chron on the PS3, and will get it for my PSP as well…Maybe between the sales of the PS3 and PSP they can make another one on the PS3. By the way is anyone else loving PANGYA Fantasy Golf on the PSP. I hate Golf Games but I am digging this one. Has one of the most beautiful opening cinematic on the PSP that I have seen in a long time, in addition the Golf Courses are Kewl…I love the Christmas and Snow themed one. Even if your not a golf fan you should pick this up for the PSP. If your a die hard golf fan, though, the simple controls may bore ya!