Heavy Rain pushed into 2010 by “crowded” Christmas

Monday, 13th July 2009 08:22 GMT By Patrick Garratt

heavyraina

Heavy Rain will release in 2010 to give it “space to live” away from the hectic Christmas retail period, Quantic Dream co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumiere has told GI.

“Purely from my perspective, most publishers today realise that it’s not ideal to release a new IP or a new genre just before Christmas,” he said.

“It’s a very crowded place to be, and certain games need more space to live their life. Everybody at working on the project, both at Quantic and Sony, believe this is the right time.”

The thriller’s alpha was delivered on April 15, the developer added, “on time, on budget”.

Expect a better look from Gamescom in Cologne next month.

1. Tonka

Wise move

2. Jonathan Cullen

Correction: VERY wise move.

3. Blerk

Yup. This would have been completely buried at Christmas. I’m not convinced it can sell a great deal even in a quiet period, but it’s certainly got a much better chance there.

4. Quiiick

Yes, very wise move.
    We prefer “Heavy Rain” not to be another “Mirror’s Edge”, don’t we?
    ME was a decent game but completely went under the radar because of it’s release date.

5. Jonathan Cullen

Let me put in an example.

Last year, SCEE spaced out 3 of its shooters: Resistance 2, Killzone 2 and SOCOM: US Navy Seals Confrontation. SOCOM was due to release in Septmeber, Resistance 2 in November and Killzone 2 in Feb 09.

But since SOCOM was pushed to March 09, SCEE could have moved Killzone 2 for Christmas. Truth be told, if it was, it’d be crushed.

SCEE did a great job in pushing it back to Feb, same for inFamous in May. Its why both games did good in the NPD’s.

So QD and Sony has done a good move in putting it back to 09. Disapointed though as I was looking forward to it. :(

6. haliotis81

Delay and delay!!!! Sony is really good at it!!! Its hard to make a 50gb game!!!

7. Cort

^^ Read the article, moron.

8. Goliath

Ah . . . nice spin but this game was never coming out this year.

9. No_PUDding

I am with Goliath on this.

Sure it’s a good idea for new IP, but this was never comign out in 2009.

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Definitley a day 1 purchase for me. No rush I say, get it perfect.

11. anasui

pointless, game will get 7′ed one way or another

12. Phoenixblight

Been anticipating this game for awhile whats another game coming out 2010. I mean FFXIII, God of War 3, Mass Effect 2 now this.

13. No_PUDding

I don’t know how it will be reviewed, but I am not excited for it at all. So I basically agree with anasui.

14. Psychotext

You’re dead inside.

(I suspect as a Southerner you already knew that)

15. No_PUDding

I’d react, but I am not that upset by your comments. I just feel so apathetic.

But at least I look great, right? I enjoy being dead inside and lookign hawt.

*puts on rhinestone glasses*

16. Psychotext

:D

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Some philosophers would say we’re all dead.. Either way…I’m still looking forward to seeing what this game brings to the table.

18. Goliath

@ No_PUDding

I think the game will find an audience but I, like you, am one of those persons who have absolutely no interest in this game.

19. No_PUDding

If I am honest I completely want to try it.

But I just disagree with David Cage so much. But Indigo Prophecy was really interesting.

It’s one of those oddities in gamign that I feel obliged to play.

On that note, i hope Sony makes a ‘Dog’s Life 2′.

20. dbronco

This is a highly anticipated game. But I smell something else. If you were confident, you would release it. It’s new IP, but that shouldn’t make that much of a difference. I think Sony has seen their most hyped games not sell at the numbers they hoped for and are a little scared. Polishing and changing things to try to guarantee success.

Infamaous hasn’t hit 1 million. Killzone took some time to do so. Same with Little Big Planet. This is fear. Gears was released as new IP just before Christmas and sold well. Same with other games. Sony just doesn’t have confidence in a QTE based extended cut-scene. No matter how pretty it is.

I also believe this is the reason Alan Wake has taken so long. Pretty tech, now lets turn it into a game. Two years to make it pretty and then two years to make it into a game. Come on everyone, let’s Linger in the Clouds.

But based on the sales numbers of the title s that should have sold better, I’d be scared too. 5 years of development was expensive. No ones making games just for the fun of it.