Battlefield 1943 ranks reset to zero, kills still count towards Coral Sea

Saturday, 11th July 2009 22:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

battlefield1943a

Players logging into Battlefield 1943 will notice that their rank has been reset to zero.

This is so DICE can perform maintenance on the soldier profiles.

All kills will still contribute to the Coral Sea challenge, but no word yet on whether they will count towards your rank.

After maintenance is finished, ranks will be back to normal along with badges, which should be in just a few days.

In other words, don’t fret just yet.

Via Santuary4Gamers.

1. JesteR

Those things shouldnt happen when a game is final.

2. David

WTF I was quite a high rank THANK YOU FUCKING DICE THANKS FOR FUCKING NOTHING.

Edit: Just pissed off with all the problems this game keeps having.

3. SunKing

EA (or Dice?) have really screwed up this game’s release. I’m really tempted to give them my 1200 MSPs but not with all this crap going on in the background.

4. Cort

Doesn’t affect me much if at all (haha) but that’s VERY naughty.

Then again, the only incentive for ranking up in this game is bragging rights. You don’t get anything, no extra weapons or vehicles or such.

5. SunKing

True, Cort, but it’s just one more item you can add to a list of fuckups.

6. Aimless

So they’ve backed up the current rankings and once the maintenance is resolved they will be reinstated. I suppose it’s unlikely that intervening play will count, but you never know as they are still tracking kills made towards the challenge.

Personally this doesn’t concern me, but this game’s launch has certainly turned out to be something of a pig’s ear. Still, everyone will have forgotten about the troubles in a month or so.

7. absolutezero

This happens for every Battlefield release at launch. All of them.

8. Gamoc

A high percentage of games have server problems when they release. I suppose it’s just cheaper for the developer to undershoot how many servers they need than be paying for too many extra.

9. Michael O'Connor

The whole bloody lot of you, except for Gamoc and Aimless, are acting like crying babies whose toys fell out of their pram.

The game has been insanely popular, and has probably done well beyond the company’s expectation. For a download only title to shift 80,000 copies in two days is insane! That figure has probably surpassed 100,000 at this point. The Xbox Live servers are extremely reliable, but it obviously crumbled under the unexpected demand.

These things happen. At least we know the game has done insanely well and will have a huge online community to enjoy it with once things settle down and the server’s stabilise.

“Those things shouldnt happen when a game is final.”

Computers are fickle things, and so are online gaming. These sort of problems *do* happen at a title’s launch, as especially with an online enabled product, they tend to happen *very* often.

“WTF I was quite a high rank THANK YOU FUCKING DICE THANKS FOR FUCKING NOTHING.”

Take some Prozac, mate. They said the ranks would be back to normal in a few days.

10. Hakkiz

Those ranks don’t even give you a bigger virtual penis like in Halo. No big deal. Just play the game.

11. Gamoc

Everything gives you a bigger ePenis. Every shot, every kill, every point capture, each one is a step onto the foot pump that inflates the ePenis.

12. Lahanas

Michael is right, but absolutezero is also right. This happens with every Battlefield launch.

An as someone who has been playing Bad Company non stop for over one year, I am really fed up with the lag and the freezing.

13. SwiftRanger

Didn’t they do a beta for this to avoid this crap? They better not pull this same trick for BF3 on PC.

14. Gadzooks!

Man, people sure do love to complain about trivial things.

15. David

Michael go jump off a cliff. I paid my money on release day but didn’t get to play it till Saturday and even then I had trouble joining games.

People acting like cry babys ? Oh I don’t know I paid good money for a game which I couldn’t actually play till 3 days after the release. I’m a little pissed off but I have a right to be.

16. frostquake

Considering I have yet to be able to even sign in, this means nothing to me. I just want to be able to sign in. I will come back in a month and see if I can sign in, if so, I will buy the game, and if not then pass. There are many other things to distract me. I do think though if you spend 1200 MS points it should work out of the gate. It is like going to the car lot to buy a really popular car, and they have been SOOOOOOOO popular that the one you buy and get in, and turn the ignition, and NO START…because NO ENGINE, and the Dealer tells you I am sorry that I sold you a car with NO ENGINE, but they have been extremely popular, if you just wait a month or so we should get the engine in your car!

17. SunKing

18. Hunam

As ever, any comment about ‘give the developers a break’ is instantly rendered null by the fact they have asked us for money for it. If you pay for something, you expect what you pay for.

19. theevilaires

O’Connor laying down the LAW! Bitches…anyone seen Shatner?

20. MasterChiefFenix

i’m surprised this many ppl care about a plane game.

21. Roybott

A plane game?

Have you played the game? yes there are planes in it, but that’s just one vehicle… It’s mainly a WAR based FPS.

22. Whizzo

Well I’m still ranking up and haven’t noticed anything, the only thing you can’t do at the moment is check out the “my soldier” page on EA’s website.

23. skonkfonk

24. G1GAHURTZ

LOL. Plane game?

Battlefield 1943 has nothing whatsoever to do with 1942: Joint Strike…

Although from looking at the pic associated with this story, I can see how someone might think that.

Oh, and as for complaining about the game not working…

This is nothing less than completely reasonable, since people are paying for a finished product, so they should get exactly that.

EA wouldn’t take money as payment in installments based on whenever the user manages to get paid, so why should it happen the other way around?

25. Gundam

I’m now glad i didn’t buy it yet. I’ll wait another month or so before investing, knew this was going to be plagued to begin with.

26. Michael O'Connor

“I think people have a right to expect the products they buy to work properly. Video games should not be an exception to that rule.”

It will work properly, once the kinks get worked out.

Look at this way. You run a tourist company. You expect 20 people every hour for your bus tours around the city, and so you buy one extra bus. Much to your surprise, 40 people turn up every hour instead of 20.

What the hell are you supposed to do? Cram everyone onto the first bus? It’s just not possible. Servers work exactly the same way. Kicking and screaming like a baby and saying “Well, it *should* work!” isn’t going to change anything. It’ll work fine within a few days.

This sort of thing occurs practically *every single time* a high demand online game is launched. I’m sure Steph, being such a huge MMORPG fan, can attest to the fact. If you’re not aware of this, you shouldn’t have spent your money on it.

“Full payment should deliver a finished game, not a game that doesn’t work for the first few days after you bought it.”

Then they should stop releasing every single MMORPG that has ever existed, yeah? It’s one or two days out of you life. God.

“”I do think though if you spend 1200 MS points it should work out of the gate.”

The game itself works fine. The problem wasn’t with the game. The problem was with the servers being bombarded with so many players that they practically crashed. I don’t think anyone would have predicted the demand of this game to be *this* huge. I can think of few DLC games that have sold this well this quickly.

To work with your car metaphor… the problem isn’t with the car’s engine, it’s with the road that its driving on.

“Oh I don’t know I paid good money for a game which I couldn’t actually play till 3 days after the release.”

Oh no, three days out of your life. However will you survive?

27. Syrok

Works perfectly fine on PS3 for me. Never disconnected, never had any lag and got into games straight away. :)

28. Jonathan Cullen

Same as Syrok, although I have had internet problems in my house and the house internet’s gone for some reason (using sister’s laptop and mobile internet for now).

But in the time I have played it, I have barely had no lag, no D/C and into games straight away.

Its a good bargin at £10, cant complain.

29. Michael O'Connor

Ironically, I’ve also been playing it on the 360 with absolutely no problems. I get into matches fine, and there’s little to no lag.

30. DrDamn

@Michael O’Connor
    The problem with your example is this … “This sort of thing occurs practically *every single time* a high demand online game is launched.”. This begs the question – why don’t they learn? Answer – it is cheaper for them to piss off the early adopters than have enough capacity ready to meet the high initial demand.

I understand where you are coming from, but people have the right to complain. This is a particularly poor example of this sort of thing happening. You would expect a company of EA’s size to have better contingency plans in place as this affected people for several days.

31. frostquake

WOW I just learned that you need to Go into your EA Account and Link your Gamertag to the Game. I just linked my Gamertag on my Xbox 360 and got right into playing the game online, my EA account had me linked to my PS3 Gamertag…I hope I don’t have to switch it every time I play either on the PS3 or 360

32. BGOD3

Every one has a right to moan my rank got reset to 0 then im gona be pi**ed as a consumer. that and the other problems just shouldnt happen after a game is finshed. you wouldnt accept it in the cinema watching a film would you? i had the same happen in BadComp. EA severs are sh1t remember NFS had loads of problems online and with the single game. its just rush rush rush and take the money but we as a consumer always goes back (who the b1t*h now then)hope BC2 is sorted or it will be the last EA i buy. CHILL