Battlefield 1943 gets hammered, double the amount of servers

Thursday, 9th July 2009 07:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

bf19431

DICE had a fun day yesterday, launching the Xbox 360 version of Battlefield 1943 only to watch the game turn into from lag-fest into a game where it was impossible to connect to anything as the hours drew on.

Server capacity has now been increased to almost double the launch amount, so hopefully you’ll find things easier today. The game’s Twitter feed’s here, if you’re looking for constant updates.

Today should be a laugh: EA’s launching the PS3 version later.

1. BraveArse

2. Johnny Cullen

It might have been jampacked on XBL, but on the PSN version, nobody’s on. Of course, it wouldnt be out but even then, no journos are on.

Anyways, took a brown nose around it last night with a couple of TheSixthAxis boys, it looks alright.

3. Michael O'Connor

“Can’t believe they didn’t foresee huge demand for this. I was quite pissed off last night. 1200 bloody points and I get to sit and watch a little arrow go round and round for an hour.”

I’d rather a game have one or two days of problem right at the beginning due to HUGE DEMAND, then be under-appreciated, personally. They’ll sort themselves out, and then we can enjoy this little masterpiece for what it is.

4. pleasant_cabbage

Yeah. Hopefully it’ll be sorted out today on xbl. Didn’t get into one game last night. I guess the free trials of it didn’t help. Hope it’s as good as you suggest MO’C :)

5. G1GAHURTZ

I was pretty annoyed with this last night.

Paid for it as soon as I got home, but couldn’t connect to a single game all night… What a joke!

Finally managed to get a couple of games this morning though, and quite enjoyed them.

6. Blerk

It wasn’t even on the Marketplace when I booted up last night. There was an ad on the spotlight channel but no actual game in the listings. Did they remove it temporarily?

7. pleasant_cabbage

I dunno Blerk. I couldn’t find it on the marketplace yesterday evening either. The only way to download it was by clicking in the advert for it. Slightly confusing.

8. Robster1979

I found it through the Game Video’s section. Seems strange but it worked.

I got mighty pissed off last night watching that arrow spin but by 9.30 I could get into games relatively trouble free.

Fingers crossed it’s a lot better today.

9. DrDamn

@Blerk
    It wasn’t showing up on the New Arrivals list at all – so it was a wonder how so many people managed to hammer the servers in the first place. To get it you can go to all game videos, find Battlefield 1943 in the A-Z list then go to all downloads.

They should have reallocated all the demo servers to the full game servers – let the people who have actually paid play the game (assuming they didn’t). Better than no one being able to play.

10. ultrabrilliant

I got into a few games last night, but it was still annoying. Looked at my stats and my total play time was 1:57 out of the *entire* evening. Just hammered ‘quick match’ until I connected. Hopefully it’s better tonight.

11. Prof Power Glove

God I hope they sort this out. XBLA has a bad rep for this sort of thing, so it would be nice.

If they do, let’s get an elite band of VG27ers together for one last mission into the unknown (lag)…

12. Yoshi

you woulda thought by now developers realised to put extra servers and then if some wasnt all needed they could take away some :P

13. Grimrita

Shame its not on the PC yet. Oh well. The battlefield series is probably THE best series out there when it comes to FPS gaming.

Cant speak about the console versions but I am sure they are good – DICE know what they are doing

14. Dr.Ghettoblaster

The sign of a good game.