Dragon Quest IX pre-orders top 2 million

Wednesday, 8th July 2009 08:32 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dragonquesta

According to Inside-Games, Japanese Dragon Quest IX pre-orders have now exceeded 2 million units.

The game goes on sale in Japan later this week, with all indications pointing to the Square Enix RPG becoming one of DS’s lifetime bestsellers.

Via Andriasang and GoNintendo.

1. Blerk

I bet Sony and Microsoft are spitting that Nintendo already grabbed Dragon Quest X for the Wii.

2. Spiral

They did? Missed that one. Oh dear.

3. Blerk

Last December, according to Wikipedia. It was ‘a while back’, anyway.

4. anasui

bloody insane

5. gehasoku

>予約数だけで200万本は硬いとみています
    This means “I think DQ9 pre-orders will certainly exceed 2 milion units” . Not real numbers.Only speculation.

6. Psychotext

Only Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy have ever been able to pull those sort of numbers in Japan in their first week… so maybe.

7. Gundam

Never ceases to amaze me that for all intents and purposes the Japanese games market is flagging but all they need is a Dragon Quest game to have the population foaming at the mouth in excitement.

Another very smart move from Nintendo’s standpoint.

8. Phoenixblight

All you have to do is put Final Fantasy in front of it and itt would double just look at the PS3 sales when the FFXIII demo came out…

9. Blerk

Dragon Quest is more popular than Final Fantasy in Japan.

10. Phoenixblight

I dunno about that all I know is a FF Demo made a jump in sales for Ps3 imagine the actual game being released. I played one Dragon Quest and didn’t like it, the story felt half baked and the random encounters were a little overbearing. I am all for turn based battles just wish it didn’t have to be two steps -> phase to battle-> Battle.