Visceral – 3 million played Dead Space, 1.5 million bought it

Tuesday, 7th July 2009 10:54 GMT By Patrick Garratt

deadspace2

Visceral boss Glen Schofield’s claimed in the latest EA podcast that twice as many people played Dead Space than actually bought the game new.

The developer “did studies on sort of how many unique users there were on the PSN network and Xbox Live. And realized, you know what, there’s over three million people that have played Dead Space.

“Maybe we’ve only sold 1.5 million or whatever the number is. But there’s something there because that means that, OK, there were a lot of used sales,” said Schofield.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. pleasant_cabbage

Or people lending it to mates?

2. JesteR

And whats his point? Whining about used game sales? Make the games cheaper and more people would buy it. Maybe they make the same amount of money but then they dont have to whine about used game sales anymore.

3. Blerk

And the pirates, of course. Don’t forget them.

4. Eregol

Personally I don’t see the point in trade ins any more.

I can get more for my old games on Ebay, granted, it takes a little longer for me to get the cash rather than the instantaneous trade in value. But I still get more than I would have done.

5. loki

1,5 million owners of X360 and PS3 sponsored PC port and all this torrent user. Thx EA, we was very happy to do this

6. Hero of Canton

Was gonna say, for “used” read “pirated”.

7. blackdreamhunk

I wouldn’t waste my money on any console games. I would just rent tittles and rent consoles. If I was ever force into console gaming I would rent a console and pirate console games because console gaming is junk. I don’t blame those people at all.

Yea I’m happy with my pc games that last me a long time. In fact Like to buy CE for my pc and my games last me a long time.

8. Phoenixblight

The same can be said about PC gaming….

9. sickpuppysoftware

I rented it. I didn’t realise it would make someone cry.

10. Digital Gigolo

Dead Space – the influences that shaped the game:

11. blackdreamhunk

pc gaming does not have much of used game market. Game devs are making alot more money on pc games. since pc gaming has DD and add support and other models as well as retail.

In fact pc gaming is booming in a recssion. Pc gaming is even getting more play time with free games, games with mods upport.mmos and games that last you along time. Worht the price in this kind of recession. On top of that pc games are cheaper.

12. MushroomStamp

Still prefer consoles. I used to be a PC gamer, but converted. I much prefer a controller and laying on the couch. More comfortable & never have to worry if system will run the game. Always works without hassle of drivers and 1/20th the cost.

13. fearmonkey

I’m definately in the played it, but didnt buy it catagory.
    I rented it for the 360 from gamefly, finished it, and sent it back. It’s a great game, one of the best looking games on the 360, like an undead version of Bioshock. However, once you beat it, I didnt find much reason to go back to it, which why it was a rental in the first place. Adding multiplayer wouldnt have made me buy it either.

If the game had some kind of instant action mode, or something along those lines, I might have purchased it.
    The reason I buy games instead of renting them is replayability. adding a multiplayer mode doesnt always do that for me, though Co-op is very nice.

14. endgame

“did studies on sort of how many unique users there were on the PSN network and Xbox Live”. can u ppl read? there’s no talk about the pc platform. so, what piracy!?

15. MushroomStamp

ummmm.. there is piracy on the 360

16. fearmonkey

On a side note that Digital Gigolo started.
    if you liked Dead space, you owe to yourself to watch Event Horizon.
    Dead space pretty much copied Event Horizon’s atmosphere, and even some of
    the main scenery.

17. Phoenixblight

Most games have in inspiration in some thing Bioshock with Huxley, RE Old Romero Flicks.

“Best form of flattery is imitation”

There are many games that try to copy what movies have done and failed miserably where Dead Space was very well developed…

@Dream FYI: Why most games are developed for consoles games first except few developers is because of Piracy. Why would I buy a game for the PC when I could just get off torrent?