Survey says: 87% of PS3 owners watch Blu-ray movies

Monday, 6th July 2009 18:46 GMT By Nathan Grayson

ps311

According to the Entertainment Merchant’s Association’s 2008 Annual Report on the Home Entertainment Industry, 87% of PS3 owners also use their Sony Living Room Devices as Blu-ray players.

An NPD survey last year claimed that 60% of PS3 owners didn’t even know their console played Blu-ray discs, so we imagine phrases like “Really? Cool!” and “Doh!” also reached an all-time usage high over the past year.

So, do you use your PS3 to watch Blu-ray movies?

Thanks, Engadget.

1. Syrok

I do, but i only own 6 or 7 BD. 5 of which are Planet Earth and the other one is the free copy of Casino Royal you got with the PS3 if you were one of the first few hundred thousand to buy one. :)

2. jeremycafe

ONLY reason I have a ps3, to watch blu-ray. I have about 80 movies now. Including the free 5 blu-rays for buying the ps3 :-P There are a lot of promotions out there to get free movies. Sony had free 5 blu-rays when you got a creditcard with them.

3. OrphanageExplosion

I call bullshit on this. I doubt 87% of PS3s are even hooked up to HDTVs.

4. Redh3lix

Hell yeah! The quality is superb. Must have a HD TV though otherwise it’s pointless buying Blu over DVD. Most (if not all?) TV’s sold are HD compatible though.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Yup sure do….looks great too.

6. Dannybuoy

Yes. So 100% of vg247 readers do (so far). Not watched many but when I have my socks have ended up at the other side of the room!

7. Michael O'Connor

Same here. I mean, I didn’t buy the machine for it, but since the option is available to me, why would I choose them over DVD? The difference is visual quality is pretty huge, which is especially beneficial for animated stuff.

Wall-E looks fraking amazing on Blu-ray.

8. David

Nope because I’m waiting for the PS3 to be cheaper or get a second hand one off ebay :P

9. anasui

hell I’d be surprised if they didnt

10. fearmonkey

Im surprised the percentage is so high, but that shows that most PS3 owners have a HDTV, where I doubt the 360 can say the same.
    The blu-ray is a wanted feature by Hef def owners, it makes sense.

11. freedoms_stain

Depends how the question was asked.

There’s a big difference between watching a Blu-ray once because it came free with the console or because a mate leant you one and actually buying Blu-ray and watching them as regularly as most people watch DVDs now.

12. BeenThereDoneThat

Why does anyone not believe the statistics. Every (that’s 100% for some of you) PS3 owner that I know watches BD’s. After seeing them in 1080p on my Plasma, I slowly have been buying a movie here and there (especially when on sale). Upscaled DVD’s do NOT look the same, and now i’m spoiled. And if you haven’t noticed, the stores ONLY sell HD TV’s nowadays. I remember when this issue popped up years ago when DVD’s first came along…here we go again…life is too short, have fun, enjoy it while you can.

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Bluray’s on HDTV kick a$$….what was the discussion again..

14. Cort

One minute it’s “hardly anyone who has a PS3 knows it can play Blu-rays” the next minute it’s “people only buy PS3s to play Blu-rays”. So funny, so desperate.

15. KillerDD

Survey: 43% of PS3 owners actually play games on it…

xD Just kidding, but it could be true…

16. freedoms_stain

“So funny, so desperate.”

Who’s desperate? Neither survey was conducted by Sony.

17. Cort

Freedoms,

I’m not calling Sony desperate at all, I’m calling the PlayStation haters desperate for one minute claiming no-one who has a PS3 knows about BD, the next claiming it’s only bought for BD and not games (two popular anti-PS3 criticisms). I’m pointing out the ridiculous contradiction there.