This gen’s tech leads to bald space marines, claims Bleszinski

Friday, 3rd July 2009 11:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

gearsofwar2a10

Epic’s Cliff Bleszinski has explained to Develop why there are a lot of short-haired action heroes this generation. Apparently, it’s because current gen tech can’t do hair very well.

“I just think that the technology of this generation just happens to be very good at rendering metals and stones and dramatic lighting, which is why you see a lot of pillars and girders and destroyed blown-out areas because that’s what the bump-mapping happens to do very well,” he said.

“At the same time, in this generation the translucent effects are very hard to pull off. That’s why everybody sees a lot of these bald characters and wonder why games feature so many fucking space marines. Well, the tech is good at showing off armour and it’s not that good at doing hair. That’s why we have bald space marines. There’s your answer people.”

There. It’s got nothing to do with appealing to action-loving men. Full interview through the link.

1. Syrok

Somebody should tell that the guys who make Final Fantasy.

2. elronathon

anyone think its really strange that here we have 3 stories posted on this site drawing out a single interview on Develop…?

3 x the coverage of an interview than the source site…

3. Gekidami

The Unreal 3 engine is the only engine this gen…

4. Hunam

To be fair though, most hair in games is pretty terrible.

5. Bringit

elronathon, I don’t think it’s strange at all. Common practice in fact.

I imagine the Develop team are gutted that VG247 has linked to their interview three times.

6. frostquake

So if they are NUDE they can’t show private parts hair right…Then Shave them and let them be NUDE…or just go with a racing stripe..VROOM VROOM!!!

7. Hunam

Private parts eh? :P

8. ultrabrilliant

This has made me respect ‘Cliffy’ a bit more. I admire his honesty.

9. elronathon

@ Bringit…still seems odd to me to stretch out content like this but at the same time you are right – I know Develop would be happy to get the traffic

10. dirigiblebill

“Somebody should tell that the guys who make Final Fantasy.”

I was just going to say that it never held the Japanese back :p

11. frostquake

Naughty bits…better Hunam?? ROFL…Curtains should always match the basement…Though I am all for racing stripes!!! Cliffy Has trouble now with Hair..Well On next Gen that want be a Problem…Gears of War 3: Nude Space Marines Gone Wild..Talk about crazy Bump Mapping…Gotta get the upper and lower jiggly right!

12. deftangel

@elronathon – It’s the norm on this site more than anything else. Breaking it down in to bite sized chunks is seen to make it more easily digestible so more people read it. I tend to agree, I read Develop but on a busy day, I’m not likely to spend 10minutes reading an interview but I can take a minute 2-3 times a day to catch up on the best bits here.

13. elronathon

has anyone actually read the interview? its a good un but its hardly Gray’s Elegy…the breaking up into ‘digestible chunks’ thing seems a little melodramatic.

ah well, different strokes etc. :)

14. Hunam

Why would I read the interview when Pat will? Seems a waste if both of us read it.

15. elronathon

@Hunman that was ironic right?

16. No_PUDding

Drake’s hair in Uncharted 2 beta was amazing.

17. Withnail

Generalisations FTL. The article does however make sense if you replace all instances of “tech” or “technology” with “Unreal Engine”.

18. No_PUDding

Jonarob, you clearly haven’t played it, becuase it’s no longer concrete, it moves in the wind, and looks way better than Uncharted 1′s concrete hair.

19. elronathon