Sony always planned to release a UMD-free PSP

Thursday, 2nd July 2009 22:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

pspgo6

Sony bossman of product planning, Naoya Matsui, has stated that the company always planned to eventually release a UMD-free PSP once the digital distribution market matured.

“We’d planned to release a PSP model without a UMD drive since the very beginning,” Matsui told GameBusiness. “But if we’d simply released the hardware, there wouldn’t have been much for everyone to enjoy.

“We needed to prepare the right environment for it first – things like the transferal of content with the PS3 and PSN, and PC software to manage content like music and movies such as Media Go.

“We wanted to release it when the delivery of digital content was on par with the delivery of physical media. That’s what we’ve been working on these past two years. We’ll be selling the PSP Go alongside the existing PSP models, because it’s a product targeted at those people who are more accustomed to digital content.”

PSP Go is slated for release in the US and Europe on October 1, and in Japan come November.

More over on Develop.

1. Razor

Rubbish…Sony wanted UMD to take over the world…so to speak.

2. onyxbox

I had a lauch unit imported from USA and from that very beginning I’m sure there was a Memory Stick option under the game launch section of the XMB.

3. fearmonkey

Did they plan to make it way more expensive than the UMD model too?

4. theevilaires

there was onyx

5. frostquake

Ewww..Headaches abound….After the License fiasco I had to go through with Xbox 360, to get all the games Licenses transferred to my New Xbox 360….I hope PSP Go has nothing like that…I still have games that won’t work on my new Xbox even after getting the Licenses Transferred online to my 360…And now I have to wait a year before doing it again..GACK!!!!! Some Arcade Titles still pop up saying this game is on another Hard Drive and can only be played from there…I Don’t trust you PSP GO!!