Criterion hints at return to 3DO Need for Speed

Thursday, 2nd July 2009 15:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

nfscriterion

Criterion’s Alex Ward just dropped a less than subtle hint on the direction of the developer’s Need for Speed project.

“‘Red lining it all the way and making it pay’ – a return to the original 3DO version of The Need for Speed,” tweeted the boss.

EA boss John Riccitiello confirmed in June that the studio was now working on a “revolutionary” new Need for Speed game, following many months of rumours.

This probably means it’s going to be awesome. Although there was never much doubt about that.

1. G1GAHURTZ

I wonder if the graphics will be just as amazing.

2. Robo_1

Finally, something new from Criterion. They’re such a talented team, and after the atrocious Undercover game, it would be great to see Need For Speed return to a talented dev.

I hope they don’t go down the open world route though. Don’t get me wrong, that’s all well and good, but I’d really like NFS to be kept lean and mean, and all about racing from the cops along some tightly designed and spectacular routes, with a ton of set pieces along the way.

3. lk

@Robo1: look no further than this year’s NFS Shift. Decidedly not open world and made by the very talented chaps at Slightly Mad Studios.

then again Criterion NFS is going to kick so much ass, it’s not even funny. wonder how many hours suda will invest into that one :D

4. No_PUDding

I hope it’s like that, but good….

And Critereon are awesome.

5. Robo_1

@Ik

Hmmm, hadn’t paid much attention to Shift, but I’ll certainly see what previews are saying. If it’s anything like I’ve described then I’ll be there day one :)

6. crippledhooba

If EA can make a “need for speed” game better than that Gigahurtz, i’ll eat my hat.

7. draknahr

Best. News. Ever.

8. Prof Power Glove

Yes – it’s almost as though they’ve kept an eye on the forums and sites like this. How else would they come up with the idea of returning to the last respected version of NFS? :P

HOWEVER, I’d actually more like to see an open-world next-gen, post-modern version of CHASE HQ. Now who is with me? They could use an 80′s Grind-house filter to it and everything. WIN.

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Looking forward to NFS: Shift.

10. theevilaires

lol g1ga i still have this game for ps1 (in mint condition) and the gameplay and controls still hold up quite well. i’ll try it out later on the ps3

11. fearmonkey

I still have a 3DO, this was a really good game for its time.
    I loved the need for speed series on the PC too.
    The last need for speed I truly enjoyed was hot pursuit, the games went into copies of the fast and the furious, which i found annoying.

12. draknahr

I liked most of the Need for Speeds…up until carbon (and i didn’t like carbon very much). But old school nfs tracks through gorgeous locations = win. NFS: Shift I think will be more sim-like than most of the other NFS games which i don’t really prefer.

13. DrDamn

I did really like the PSOne NfS. The sweeping roads and long point to point races. I could see them coming out with something more like Test Drive Unlimited actually.