Edge gives The Conduit 4/10

Wednesday, 1st July 2009 11:04 GMT By Patrick Garratt

theconduita2

Goodbye, MC average. Edge has given High Voltage’s The Conduit a wince-worthy 4/10. You can get all the latest scores from the mag in this EG forum post.

Or you could just look below. Thanks, evilashchris.

• Prototype – 8
  • Red Faction: Guerrilla – 7
  • Killing Floor – 6
  • Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? – 4
  • Another Code R – 4
  • Bonsai Barber – 7

1. Blerk

Looking forward to having a shufty at that review when I get home. :-)

2. Johnny Cullen

Wow.

3. Peetry

4. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, what I’ve seen of it actually looks like it might be fun to play!

5. SniperWolf

poor edge trying to get some attention by killing games shh
    who gives a fuck about them

6. evilashchris

I told you Prototype was good!

7. G1GAHURTZ

Edge rates it slightly higher than RF:G, too.

8. Robo_1

I stopped picking up Edge months ago after buying the magazine for fast approaching ten years. Rating Sonic Unleashed (6) ahead of Prince of Persia (5) sealed the deal, and convinced me that Edge had become something of a reverse seal of approval.

My pre-order for The Conduit is totally safe.

9. DrDamn

Was a little concerned that none of the vids I’d seen showed the player turning round a corner and shooting at the same time – a weak spot of any Wii FPS control implementation I’ve played.

10. lk

It’s sad really, that The Conduit, like MadWorld in March, will probably once again ignite a whole slew of discussions and arguments once this month’s NPDs hit, about wether or not hardcore games will sell on the Wii.

Here’s the thing: The Conduit just isn’t very good. Now, it’s not a 4, more of a 6 (the contorls ARE fantastic), but it’s just bland, the art direction was done by people who have never seen anything resembling art, the color palette is all over the place, effects like depth of field are over-used and the single-player experience is as boring as can be.

As a Wii owner, I can only hope that this game will not be used as a benchmark for the performance of hardcore games on the Wii, as again, we’re still lacking a REALLY GOOD 3rd party hardcore game with mass appear on the Wii that would once and for all show wether it works or not. (Now, I too love MadWorld and No More Heroes, but they’re simply too niche to be taken into consideration.)

11. Johnny Cullen

“Ouch, poor Wii. Great news for DICE though, getting a 9 from EDGE is a real achievement since BF:BC only got a 7!”

Good thing I have review code coming for BF 1943 then. :D

“We need a BF1943 release date!”

There is a EA newsletter doing the rounds saying next week (July 9th), but when I went to EA enquring about getting the review build (and this was yesterday), they said a date still hadnt been given.

12. lk

also, it appears that prototype is now “officially” better than inFamous. this will be one ugly day on GAF.

13. f1r3storm

It’s worth more than a 4. I mean a 4 is really bad, but The Conduit isn’t a bad shooter. Could be better though.

14. Blerk

According to ListenUP this week BF1943 has been finished for ages but is being held up by the certification process for ‘one of the platforms’. And as they want to launch all versions at the same time, everyone else has to wait.

15. anasui

lol

still doesn’t reach Gamespot’s 8.8 TP epicness, in fact its pretty pathetic. THAT was something worth discussing about

16. No_PUDding

So when did EDGE become a ‘pick a number, any number’ magazine?

They’ve been wrong for a while now. Arma 2 getting a 7 annoys me. Overlord 2, I have heard is great (ListenUP also, although that guy who swears a lot is a dick), and Red Faction Guerilla, I have heard is great.

Doesn’t even matter if it’s an Edge score.

17. Robo_1

@Ik

I think Red Steel 2 looks like a really strong contender for being the best showcase of a mature game on Wii. It’s got a fairly mainstream setting, and thanks to it’s extensive use of motion plus, it’s something only possible on Wii. I hope Ubi deliver on that one.

I’m glad to see Prototype get a good score, but it hasn’t pulled me in as much as inFamous did, which I really rinsed until I’d cleared the game and all the islands. They’re two great games though, and I really think all this talk of ‘wining’ is utterly retarded. They’re both really solid sand box actioners, and if you like that type of game then you’re only shafting yourself by not playing them both. It’s not as if Prototype is a 360 exclusive anyway, so I really don’t understand why such a fuss has been made about these two titles.

I imagine they’ll both come out about the same on Metacritic in the end anyway, which I know would be a tragic result for the GAF hordes :)

18. Madeira

I can’t even force myself to play Prototype (RF:G is a much better game). The hackneyed piece of shit storyline and awful main character is enough to ruin it.

19. evilashchris

I’m going to fight you IRL.

20. G1GAHURTZ

Alex Mercer vs RF:G guy (Whatever his name is)!

Hmm…

There’s only gonna be one winner!

21. lk

@robo_1: I am very excited for Red Steel 2, so yeah, fingers crossed!

22. Retroid

“all this talk of ‘wining’ is utterly retarded.”

:D

23. SwiftRanger

It’s just an opinion of an anonymous writer in an overstyled games magazine, get over it lads. :)

24. Hunam

Game gets 9/10: EDGE IS BESTEST MAGAZINE EVAR!
    game gets 4/10: EDGE SUCKS, NO ONE CARES ABOUT REVIEWS ANYWAY.

25. Robo_1

@Retroid

I really should lay off the Baileys and ice whilst communicating with the outside world :)

26. crackdude

“Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero? – 4 ” ???

WOW! If the Conduit has the same score as Prinny, then I’m totally getting it :DD