EA will launch “two to three new IPs a year”

Tuesday, 30th June 2009 08:47 GMT By Patrick Garratt

deadspace7

EA Games president Frank Gibeau’s told Gamasutra that the next three years could see as many as nine new IPs released from the firm.

“It’s hard to forecast, but I think we’re probably looking at two to three new IPs a year,” he said, a level “I feel good about,” the exec added.

“We’re looking at a three-year SKU plan right now. Between EAP and our internal studios, both of which are in our group, I can safely say it’s at least two to three new IPs.”

Gibeau said earlier in the interview, however, that mistakes were made with launching new properties in 2008.

“I think we launched too many new IPs all at once in Q3,” he said.

“I would have spread them out and found better windows for them. I would have had longer marketing for them. The marketing cycles were fairly short.

“We didn’t have enough assets to really build the fanbase, build the community, and get that long lead demand built.”

1. Blerk

I think he’s right. And I’m glad they’re persevering – their new stuff has been more hit than miss in my book.

2. Bulk Slash

I’ve only just started playing Dead Space and I’m rather enjoying it, so I’d be happy to see more of those (just not as rail shooters).

Mirror’s Edge was one of my favourite games last year, which it managed to do despite the clichéd story and rubbish character designs (thank goodness for skippable cut-scenes and being able to turn the voices off in-game)! I’m really hoping EA announce a full-on sequel soon. Last I heard DICE said they just had a few guys on it…

3. Blerk

I’d certainly be up for some more Mirror’s Edge. And nobody’s more surprised about that than me.

4. Michael O'Connor

I actually figured that they were going to lessen their new IP output after their poor financial turnout last year, but it’s good to see they’re still willing to push new ideas and franchises. It’s this kind of creativity that keeps the interest fresh and alive.

…and EA is one company I never thought I’d say that regarding.

5. Blerk

Yeah, it’s weird, isn’t it? Now if only we can convince Activision.

6. G1GAHURTZ

I prefer sequels.

7. Blerk

Freak! :-D

I like sequels too, providing they’re good sequels to good originals. But I love having new stuff as well. If we didn’t have new stuff we could never have sequels, after all. :-)

8. G1GAHURTZ

Good point!

Hehe…

Nah, but I suppose what I mean is that the better sequels in gaming are usually only ever what the first game was supposed to be in the first place. It’s the continual refinement of that initial good original idea that I enjoy playing.

I think most original games are usually just combinations of the best bits from a number of older games anyway.

I reckon if you looked at most new IPs and orginal concepts for games, they probably borrow very heavily from older, successful, similar titles.

The idea of relying on developers to put all of their effort into getting things right the first time around, then moving on to another title makes me slightly nervous. It’s almost an impossible job because it’s the feedback from fans, who play the game more than any QA could, that helps the whole devlopment process over sequential releases.

Games don’t always get better, of course (Mario Sunshine), but I like the continual refinement that you get in most sequels.