Rumor: Sony to start development of gaming phone in July

Saturday, 27th June 2009 19:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

sonygamingphone

Rumor has it that Sony wants in on some of the action that iPhone is getting.

According to Japan’s Nikkei business daily (via Reuters), the company will start development on a “cellphone-game gear hybrid” next month and has a team ready to start work on it.

The team’s purpose is to “develop a new product that combines functions of its portable game player and Sony Ericsson’s mobile phones.”

Sony gaming phone rumors have been around for a while, so who knows. Maybe it’s true this time.

Thanks, D’toid.

1. Razor

Just a few years too late there, Sony.

2. Floms

nice

3. Redh3lix

@ Razer: Your level of fuckwittery is truly epic.

4. DaMan

that’s very cool news.

5. Razor

@ Redh3lix…what did I say?

Sony haven’t even started the thing yet, and it conceivably won’t be out for another year or two, by which point Apple (the company they’re trying to compete with and take on) will be even further ahead and will have created another revolutionary iPhone and have an even larger Apps store with more games.

It’s too late for Sony. Just creating an Apps store for games will get nowhere as Apple already have one, and it will be even bigger by the time Sony launch theirs.

I thought that was common sense.

I guess not.

6. Bulk Slash

I agree with Razor, Sony have completely missed the boat on this one. This is what the PSP Go should have been, to only be starting on the device now is idiotic. Sony are still struggling to match Microsoft’s online features on the PS3 and they were only a year late launching the PS3.

Sony will be 4 years behind Apple and at least 2 years behind the rest of the competition by the time they get this done.

7. Psychotext

I think I’m the only person left in the world who just uses their phone for calling people. :)

8. No_PUDding

If I was rich enough, I’d leave you in the dust and race ahead, Psycho…

9. Blerk

I don’t even phone people with mine. In fact, I’m beginning to wonder why I have one at all. :-)

10. lelik

you shouldn’t tell the internets you have zero friends blerk.

11. Blerk

I don’t need to tell them, it’s perfectly obvious. :-)

12. lelik

oh… shit man that sucks. at least you’re not adopted??

13. dunk sb

that’s very nice.

14. anasui

if they look for insane ways to waste money, bloody hell i will be more than happy to send some ideas

like, world’s biggest gangbang or bombing Bolton

15. KingCharMing

@ Razor,
    You cant say competition is no good when late. Hell, why did they build the playstation in the first place, they were only like 15 years behind Sega and Nintendo, what an epic fail :-P Same applies for the Xbox, there were years behind the PS2.

16. theevilaires

Psychotext said: I think I’m the only person left in the world who just uses their phone for calling people.

nope me too, txting is for idiots

17. theevilaires

KingCharMing said: Same applies for the Xbox, there were years behind the PS2.

actually it was one year….and a 50 million console gap :P

18. KingCharMing

Same thing, you get the idea :-P