Rhianna Pratchett feels gaming plots have become more important, but need less testosterone

Saturday, 27th June 2009 17:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

rhianna21

Overlord and Mirror’s Edge writer Rhianna Pratchett has told That VideoGame Blog that development studios are starting to take the plot of the games more seriously than in the past.

“Writers and narrative designers are still relatively new positions on development teams.” she said. “This means there’s still a level of uncertainty about how best to use and integrate them. I know from talking to lots of fine people in my field that the writing process can often be done too late, without proper access to the team and under extreme pressure.

“Thankfully, things are starting to get a little better and more writers are being contacted in the first few months of a project’s lifespan, rather than the last few months … A little more variation in concept and content would be nice, as well, which is something writers and narrative designers can help with.”

She does, however feel that the “tuff-guy” syndrome is alive and well in the industry when it comes to gaming plots, and it needs to dump this sort of Hollywood mentality.

“A little more variation in concept and content would be nice, as well, which is something writers and narrative designers can help with,” she added. “Although they have their place and god knows I’ve enjoyed them on occasion, I could do with a little less ‘Gruff guy with super powers/large weapon kicks assss!’ tales.

“The medium has huge potential, so I’m not sure why there’s this constant desire to keep rooting around in Hollywood’s action-movie scrapheap.”

Via D’toid.

1. Bulk Slash

Ironic comments considering all she did with Mirror’s Edge was create a clichéd story with awful dialogue and replaced the “tuff-guy” with a “tuff-woman”.

2. The_Deleted

Ah yes, but she’s an attractive woman related to the one the greatest writers of our time.
    So obviously she’s being ironic.

3. Captain Fruitloop

Would it be over the top to suggest that she owes just about all her career and games industry profile to the geek appeal of her looks and surname?

4. Shatner

Here’s what’s ironic:

A bunch of people who argue that not having the first clue about what they’re criticising should, in any way, damage the credibility of the view they express on whatever it is they choose to criticise..

..as they go about criticising others who actually DO know what they’re talking about.

The implication is that the less you know your subject matter the more credible your are to comment on it. Whilst the more directly involved in the subject matter you happen to be, the less right to express an opinion you happen to have.

I’d dearly love to see any of the assumed experts here write a complete narrative for an interactive medium. Hell, some of these ‘experts’ probably couldn’t even write a competent short story. But the moment you say that they get all snooty and insist that it’s their divine right to express their views on something they haven’t a clue about – usually in the form of dismissing the views of someone else who actually *does*. Funny how that works out, huh?

And, of course, people have to do what pays the bills. I know this sound horrific to the perfect human beings out their that constantly voice their opinions on the internet and *never* make any concessions in their life but, hey, sometimes you have to put your ideals on hold whilst you pay the mortgage. Doesn’t mean you don’t still have ideals.

@3 The answer to that is no.

Rhianna, from what I understand, works independently of anything to do with her father. She established herself as a videogame journalist for the well respected PC Gamer publication (you know, a proper writing gig rather than the ‘any schmuck can call themselves a games journalist’ internet site effort) for a number of years before moving into games development.

And it’s doubtful in the games industry (or most other professional ones) that you’d get very far on name alone. If you weren’t able to deliver the necessary work to time, budget and standard of your employers you wouldn’t get much repeat work at all.

5. _Sikamikanico_

I visit this site everyday, but I never post. Today I feel compelled to say just one thing.

Y’know Shatner, you come across as a real dick. I thought you ought to know.

6. No_PUDding

He knows… He’s being ironic.

7. Shatner

Well, _Sikamikanico_, here’s what I can gather from your totally worthwhile contribution to the discussion that chooses to ignore any aspect of what’s being discussed or the contents of the article in question (I could shortcut to arguing that that would simply make you a troll, but where would the fun in that be?)

Assumption A:
    You’re one of those people that knows the subject matter they talk about.

That being the case, you must know a lot about coming across as a real dick.

Assumption B:
    You’re one of those people that knows nothing about the subject matter they choose to talk about but insist that such ignorace makes you more of an authority on a given topic than anyone with a genuine clue.

That being the case, you’re exactly the kind of person I described in my original post.

Thanks for playing _Sikamikanico_, SEE YOU NEXT GAME!

So, going back to my earlier comment: Who’s written a complete narrative for an interactive medium then?

8. No_PUDding

Dear me.

I certainly hope you’re being ironic.

9. Shatner

I’m never ironic.

I’m just being a big, internet, White Knight. Highlighting people’s bad behaviour and watching them implode in self-righteous trolling as they wave their arms around implying they’re a far better human being whilst demonstrating they’re no better than those they criticise. With, myself, of course, being the exception to that rule.

But irony? No. That’s all in the mind of the observer who thinks they know all about me. Then such silly people go on and say something that demonstrates irony – yet they don’t see it for themselves.

Now THAT’S irony.

10. No_PUDding

I haven’t said anything to demonstrate irony.

I think it’s funny you, you perceive me talking about you, as me knowing all about you.

I know how you speak on here alone. Perhaps you are Immanuel Kant reincarnated, but it doesn’t make you sound any different when you post here.

11. Michael O'Connor

What Shatner said.

She’s a well paid, respected, qualified writer in her own right. Nothing she has done bears any relevance to her father’s work for one thing – a fact she deserves credit for. And saying she’s only popular because she’s pretty is, well… just a bit sad.

She’s written more than Mirror’s Edge. She’s also written for the Overlord games, which have incredibly quirky scripts. She also did Prince of Persia, which has some really smart story-telling technique in its that many other games could do well to learn from. Further back, she was also responsible for Heavenly Sword’s writing, which is one of the best examples of characterisation and writing I’ve seen in a video game in years.

Not only that, but she has a relevant point. Whatever you think of her work, it *is* true that testosterone consumes the plot-lines of the vast majority of video games, and it makes the hobby come across as incredibly juvenile to the average joe-so. They really need to start growing the fuck up.

Mind you, considering the ignorance and attitude of some of the people posting in this thread, it’s very easy to see why companies deliberately make their stories appeal to juvenile mentalities… they’re clearly the prevalent buyers.

12. No_PUDding

She is pretty pretty isn’t she?

13. SwiftRanger

“She established herself as a videogame journalist for the well respected PC Gamer publication”

Nope, that would be PC Zone she wrote for. PC Gamer only did an interview with the other Pratchett in one of their first issues (and promised to interview him again recently but they didn’t, bastards!).

Rhianna is pretty and she has a point but giving writers too much space wouldn’t be realistic either, not all books or films can be translated to games for example and vice versa. Different mediums and all that.

14. Michael O'Connor

“not all books or films can be translated to games for example and vice versa. Different mediums and all that.”

And for anyone with half a brain, its also incredibly boring and stupid.

15. Phoenixblight

“That hardly justifies 90% of games ”

90% really? Dunno what games you have mostly seen but the games I play do not match with what you say.

16. Stephany Nunneley

There’s a bald, womanizing, testosterone laden man I adore in videogames, and his name is Kratos. Pure unadulterated fun. No need for an award winning script. It’s not meant for that.

Games with more depth to the storyline? Sounds great. There are plenty of games in both areas. No need not to enjoy them all.

/walks out of room backwards

17. Phoenixblight

Amen Stephany

18. No_PUDding

Steph you are wrong and right, in my opinion.

It’s just a little imbalanced at the moment, depending on which platform you are on.

Functional versus creative.

19. Shatner

And, yes, I’ll freely hold my hands up to mixing up the word “Gamer” with “Zone”. A detail that in no way diminishes the status of Pratchett’s career evolution.

So, none of you ‘experts’ have written for an interactive medium then.

It’s astonishing at how good so many of you (along with your divine right to opine in ignorance) are so good at avoiding a simple, straightfoward question. Funny how your amazing attention to detail in some aspect of my commentry is so well focused, yet you are apparantly oblivious to a simple question directed at you and written in italics

..or perhaps there’s a fair amount of selective reading going on. Nah. That’d never happen!

Kratos is actually a pretty well established character and the writing of his backstory and motivation in GoW1 was hugely impressive and did a massive amount to drive game momentum and pace. There’s no doubt that a lot of writing when into his character.

In fact, it’s his character that is one of the strongest aspects of the series.

I think a lot of people don’t even understand what writing for games even involves. If you think it starts and stops at script and cut-scenes then you’re really only looking at the tip of an iceberg. Hell, even conventional fictional writing is a lot more than spoken word and actions. The complications and extra considerations of an interactive medium are far greater.

There’s plenty of scope of testosterone fuelled narrative. It is, after all, what the target demographic represents. Having said that, a narrative that proritises other areas can be rich and compelling too. It’s just that the audience is typically less receptive to it on the whole.

20. David

Shatner condensed:

Hes annoyed that people on the internet are bad mouthing Rhianna Pratchett. He finds it funny that people who have no background in writing can criticize someone that does have an extensive background in the field.

Oh and he secretly wants to put his dick in her mouth. XD

21. Aperson

Shatner

People can accept that someone is a bit smarter than them and acts a bit arrogantly because of it, but they will not accept that these people offend their intellect while bragging about the size of their own.

Seriously try to think Shatner what in the world are you trying to achieve except being a hated arrogant arse by writing that stuff. It’s way much better gaining peoples respect by being humble and reap the benefit by them listening and believing pretty much whatever you say, (of course as long it’s written in a complicated way.)

22. _Sikamikanico_

Shatner, O great internet warrior!

It’s not a game, or at least I don’t view commenting on a news article as a game. Here’s the thing…

I completely agree with you. I have no idea as to the complexities of writing a narrative for a video game. Is that what you wanted to hear?

There is my input on the subject. I think she did a great job with Mirror’s Edge, and I enjoyed it.

With regards to the subject of my post, I still think the way in which you communicate, while being generally well written, comes across as aggressive and condescending. You come across as a dick, hence my previous comment.

I appreciate banter, and healthy discussion as much as the next internet forumite, but you killed any for me on this particular subject because you act like such a jerk.

I know your internet defenses are screaming “troll” right now. And that’s fine, if you want to think that, go right ahead. But I think you need to ask yourself what you hope to achieve by being so damned condescending, to everyone, all of the time.

If a person reads a book, but has never written one, does that mean they are not free to offer an opinion on a book’s structure, characters, pace, plot etc?

Of course it doesn’t. Opinion is a wonderfully subjective thing. It creates discussion and different points of view. Which is what we come to this site for, isn’t it? To read the news, and discuss it?

23. Captain Fruitloop

I’ve been a professional writer for almost 20 years, Shatner. That’s longer than Rhianna Pratchett. I’ve written games. I’ve written lots of stuff in other mediums. I’ve had work optioned for films. I’ve had novels published. I’ve been nominated for awards. I’ve won awards.

I’m fairly sure I’m qualified to comment on her writing ability. In fact, I’m a hell of a lot more qualified than you.

I can think of half a dozen other games writers in the UK alone whose work is just as good as hers, if not better, and most of them have probably worked on more successful games than her to date, but none of them receive the same media attention she does.

24. Shatner

I don’t think most of you get the irony of your actions. That’s the hilarious part.

Let me spell out you hypocrisy for you:

“I don’t need to be (qualified in whatever field) to express an opinion on it!!!!111oneoneone”

“Hahaha. I’m going to immediately dismiss someone’s opinion on something because I can point to something they’ve done that suggests they’re contradicting their views. Aren’t I big and clever by pointing out this contradiction!!”

Always seems hilarious to me that those that instantly jump dismiss the views of another do so under the guise that they have the divine right to do so – after all, it’s their view and nobody has the right to dismiss someone else’s view do they?

Seems like the rest of you are so wrapped up in your own self importance you can’t see what hypocritical, posturing fools you are.

Yes, of course the only reason I’d remark on hypocrisy is because it might get woman to have sex with me! What a logical and astute observation! What a will reasons and considered response to my comments. I can always respect the output of someone who has such a logical and methodical approach to debate! Absolutely!

Geez guys, with the exception of one person (who, if I wrote like him, I’m sure would be accused of dick-waving arrogance!) none of you have done anything more than blindly lash out and react AT the person who has said something rather than at WHAT was said. It just shows you up for the transparent infantile little posers you are.

What’s even more beautiful is how quickly you lash out. Showing how incapable of accepting even a fraction of the criticism you’re always so keen to dish out on others.

And some of you think I’m angry when I make a comment. Good lord, you guys simply don’t know how funny you are. What a shame you consistently fail to get the joke.

As for Fruitloop – good for you. Thank you for acknowledging my question. I’m sure if your works were narrative masterpieces they’d recieve heaps of media attention. Perhaps you should get yourself interviewed so you can express your views on the matter and then watch as infantile children all dash about bravely criticising behind anonymity and posturing! Or maybe you don’t have any ideals in that particular area and Rhianna Pratchett does? Or perhaps you’re just jealous? Or.. well, I guess I could assert a whole load of guesswork about your motives and post them here. Wouldn’t mean any of them were right would it? Congrats on your awards. I’ve lots of awards too. Maybe we can compare trophy cabinets sometime.

As for thinking of other writers, well, it’s interesting you say that as Gama some months back did a piece on writers and the comments section was pretty interesting. I recall in particular one commenter (a veteran journalist and games writer, no less) going to lengths to mention other authors who would have been worthy of inclusion in the article. I wonder if you were one of the names mentioned ? :D

25. Shatner

Yeah, I love the guys that go “Hey, I’m so cool that I didn’t read that last comment. But I’m still going to argue and berate it anyway. I’m so fucking clever that I don’t even have to know what the other person said to tell him he’s wrong.”

And because one bit of pedantry deserves another Jonarob, if you’re going to use a phrase, try not to get the words mixed up at the end. Kinda ruins the “goddamn, ain’t I cool?” vibe you’re going for.

Yeah, everyone is missing the joke, Shatner. You’re on a higher plain.

Yup. You definitely don’t see how funny you are. And that just adds to my lulz. :D

Heh, not that you care, right? Just like all those people that like to make multiple comments in the same topic when they think they’re so smart and then talk themselves into a corner and need to backpeddle out of it whilst still keeping their precious internet kudos. Course you don’t care! That’s why you made those posts – cos you don’t care!

26. Hunam

Lol, christ.

27. Shatner

Don’t bring my son into this.

28. Neolucifer

rofl , see here you just confirm you are the pompeous kid so many seems to think you are .
    You kept hammering over and over your useless question , and now that someone actually answer to it …. after a dythyrambic rant , you just dismiss it with a tricky tennis backhand move .

Anyway back to the topic , i’m done feeding the troll , i like her work , but she is hardly doing more than using stereotypes in a few cases herself .
    The sexy independant woman , aka “tuff-gal” is hardly any better than the usual “tuff-guy” , and only slightly less used .

29. SwiftRanger

“That hardly justifies 90% of games being about gravel-voiced bald guys with necks thicker than their arms and guns bigger than their balls. It’s idiotic, contrived, juvenile entertainment, and its certainly not going to attract a bigger audience.”

At least that’s better than 90% of games consisting out of silly romantic comedies or games being purely built on star power. Writing can help a lot yeah but it’s not everything in games (that would be the interaction) like it is for films or books. I’d love to have every action game to be as brilliantly written like say Valve’s stuff or every RPG to be as wordy as Planescape: Torment but that’s never gonna happen just like not every action flick will be as good as Heat for example.

As for attracting a new audience, I don’t think there’s a huge amount of non-gamers with good taste who are just waiting for games with better writing. If they are then they’re incredibly late to the party because *gasp* there already are intelligently written games out there. People who don’t realise this are either misinformed or don’t want to know it and keep games in that easily identifiable “for kids” corner. Or they think they’re too old for it. In fact I suspect there’s a huge lot of them that just wants a movie with some meagre interaction here and there. The anti-game so to speak. I’ll pass for that.

30. deanimate

Sometimes I dream of a horse.
    Dipped in honey.
    Reading the news.

31. NiceFellow

The simple fact is that the types of videogames she references are being made in a similar manner to your average dumb Hollywood blockbuster.

The goal is to make money by pandering to a known audience. That’s where the money lies. The focus isn’t the script, the narrative, the theme or the art.

Sure, the developers may play with things a bit, try and refine elements here and there, but they’re not trying to make the videogame equivalent of a Kubrick movie.

I’m not trying to knock the efforts and I believe genuine love for their work that most developers have, but this is just a given right now.

What I’d like to see is more use of PSN/ XLBA etc as an avenue for less expensive titles that can be far more creative and take bigger risks.

32. Shatner

“…You kept hammering over and over your useless question , and now that someone actually answer to it …. after a dythyrambic rant , you just dismiss it with a tricky tennis backhand move ….”

Yeah, my initial point about people talking from first-hand knowledge (like the person in the article) as opposed to utter ignorance was completely unrelated to the the mentality behind the views expressed!

And LOL! when one person actually stopped going out of their way to ignore a direct question I acknowledged his response. Amazing. I guess it’s far better behaviour to just rant on blindly and overlook when someone actually has to courtesy to answer a simple question instead of just trolling for the sake of trolling. Silly me!

“Of course as soon as someone would actually bother posting about his writing experience , you could only go two ways for the sake of your rant … either claims it’s lies , or attack the supposed work .”

And yet I did neither. I never disputed their claim and, as I don’t know what the implied work actually is I could only attack it if I was the type of person that felt that blindly attacking something I know nothing about by way of knee-jerk reaction was the same as making a proper, substantiated counterpoint. Whoops. I guess I made another huge error of judgement there, huh?!

“So here we are with a court jester who dismiss complaints with a “who actually wrote for games and published stuff” , and when in a pinch will goes “if your work was important you’d be know , and maybe you’re just jealous” .”

Yup. Again, the clowns fail to spot the error of their own attitudes because they’re so determined to react with hostility they can’t see a statement for what it is. If you check what was actually written you’ll see (or, blindly reacationary that you are, probably won’t see) that I was deliberatly throwing the sort of blindly reactionary thinking back at Captain F’s views. Notice how I laboured the point and then spelled out what I was doing with sarcasm? No, I guess you didn’t notice that. Hoho! :D

Still, it’s very unlike others to deliberately misquote what I said and then attack me for their misinterpretations. Golly, that hardly ever happens!

So, yeah, another fits-like-a-glove example of the kind of self-important posturing twerp I outlined in #4 leaping into the fray without first checking to see if he ticks all the internet tuff guy stereotype boxes. Gee. Someone should write a videogame about you!

I’ve said all I need to say about the article. But I very much enjoy the red-faced internet outrage of random fools as they get all put out that their view isn’t being taken as anything special whilst they go about dismissing the view of anyone that doesn’t agree with them! I sincerely hope this new post of mine will bring lure more blindly reactionary hypocrites to the fray to amuse me further!

33. dirigiblebill

RP: “I know from talking to lots of fine people in my field that the writing process can often be done too late, without proper access to the team and under extreme pressure.”

According to the dev and publisher reps I chatted with during the London Gamer’s Day events last year – Microsoft, Team 17, a few others – the position of “writer” seldom actually exists in game development, unless there are resources to spare: dialogue, back stories, mission blurbs etc are penned by whichever designer or designers have the time once the bulk of the project is in near-playable form. Interesting stuff…

34. Michael O'Connor

How about people actually discuss the subject at hand?

Good idea? Yeah? Maybe?

35. Michael O'Connor

“I’m really not trying to troll here, but you seem to have a massive chip on your shoulder about being perceived as ’smart’ and ‘mature’ – e.g. “anyone with half a brain”, and “juvenile mentalities”.

Trust me junior, that’s something I definitely don’t feel the need to make sure I am “perceived” as. I already know I’m an extremely intelligent person, and I don’t feel any need to be modest about it either.

“And for anyone with half a brain, its also incredibly boring and stupid.”

Exactly what it says. For anyone with half a brain, with any decent capacity for thinking (which most human beings are capable of) that kinda mindless violence is boring and stupid.

It’s okay in moderation, don’t get me wrong – even I can appreciate God of War or Gears of War – but it hardly exists “in moderation”. It’s the huge, vast majority of video games.

36. HansGruber

I’ve been a reader of this site for a while now but until today I didn’t feel inclined to register. Michael, looking at your work, you’re living proof that so called ‘extreme intellugence’ doesn’t automatically make you a good writer. You need to wind your neck in bud before you look like a fool in front of the wrong people. Am I right to assume that you’d like to be a games journalist?

37. Michael O'Connor

“Am I right to assume that you’d like to be a games journalist?”

As opposed to the paid freelance one that I have been for many years?

“Sorry, I think Michael is being a bit of a douche”

Completely avoiding the discussion I see.

38. Michael O'Connor

“You’ve insulted everyone…”

Bit sensitive, aren’t we?

39. Gamoc

He’s correct.

I agree with Rhianna, though I wont be doing it in the style of arrogant douche number one or two. The gruff manly men compensating for things with large guns is just unimaginative. Someone could totally write an FPS/TPS that wasn’t so testosterone driven(Half Life?). It’s not that hard, they just have to hire some decent writers.

40. Aimless

“Still, I like the games. They’re fun, which comes before storyline, graphics, and everything else. If you think otherwise you’re just wrong, it isn’t debatable.”

I think you should switch out “fun” for “engaging”. The former suggests a certain level of pleaseantness that isn’t a requirement for a game to be appreciated; I wouldn’t class Silent Hill as fun, much as I doubt shmup fanatics or hardcore MMO raiders chose their hobby based on smiles per minute. Personally I’m getting a lot of grim satisfaction from Demon’s Souls at the moment and I love that there’s games out there that can fit in with whatever mood I’m in.

Sorry if I’m coming across as a semantic stickler, I just think it’s an important distinction to make if you’re going to go unfurling blanket truths.

41. Gamoc

Fair enough. Maybe ‘enjoyable’ works better, but ‘engaging’ works too.

42. Michael O'Connor

“Why should anyone give a shit about what you say or how long you’ve been a “paid freelance” for if you so obviously hold everyone in such disregard?”

Everyone? Hardly. There’s a number of people here (staff included) who I quite respect, hold in high regard, and in some cases would probably go so far as to call friends. You just seem a little miffed, deary. *pat pat*

But if you think I’m actually going to put emotional energy into some petulant, screaming fanboys… You’re some guy on the internet, who so far has done nothing but post comments with a “ME! ME! ME!” attitude, bemoaning companies for not benefiting *you*, instead of looking at the bigger industry picture. I’ll respect *you* when you stop proving your ignorance.

As for the journalism remark? He asked, I answered.

Come back when you’re actually a paid psychologist, cause right now you’re just coming across as a bit of a hack. Only one who seems to have a chip on their shoulder right now, my dear child, is you. =)

“I’m sure there are probably plenty of editors/influential people regularly reading this site, and I don’t think you’re helping yourself, Michael.”

My pay-cheques would argue otherwise.

If you actually think these people pay high regard to a bunch of overly-emotional fanboys in a comments section, you’re kidding yourself. In fact, you might find that some of the most vocal (or abusive, as you seem to view) people in the comments section are the very “influential” people you’re talking about.

Again, this has nothing to do with the topic at hand though, which I have already responded to. If you don’t have anything to add to that subject, do us all a favour and keep your clap trap shut. <3

43. Mafro

Games journalism. Serious business.

44. HansGruber

‘As opposed to the paid freelance one that I have been for many years?’

45. Michael O'Connor

It was a typo, child. It was fixed before you even posted. Lazy baits like that only prove my point. Don’t make a point if you’re not willing to argue it, child.

Do you literally sit on this site, refreshing the page, waiting for replies? You respond alarmingly fast.

“No offence, but it doesn’t show in the stuff I’ve just read. And you ought to work on your manners too. Being likeable is important in this game.”

The site in my username it little more than a hobby, something I do in my off time. It’s not my professional work. Mind you, it’s still managed to net me plenty of work, regardless of your “fine” judgement of my writing skills.

If you actually think my “manners” in a comment section on a website actually impacts on my career or life… you need to get off the internet more often.

Christ, people like Zero Punctuation makes a *living* out of being a complete asshole…

46. Michael O'Connor

“Yes, I like talking to you and I’m lonely.”

Clearly.

47. Michael O'Connor

Poor baby need his pinky massaged? Awwwww.

48. Shatner

I think a number of people have proved themselves to be arrogant assholes and finger-pointing wankers. It’s the ones that are in denial so as to further their efforts to sound superior that make me truly lol. Such blind knee-jerk reactionary bullshit. It has all the inevitability of a wave approaching the shoreline with the promise of the force of nature only to finally break with a little ripple before skulking back to the sea of ignorance to reform and try again a moment later with precisely the same outcome.

I find the sound of such waves, breaking limply along the shoreline to be hugely soothing, don’t you? :)

So..

Anyone play the Overlord 2 demo? I really enjoyed the subverting-the-stereotype piss-take of the PETA-like hippy elves and their wimpish dreadlocks and excessive tree-hugging tone. Truly entertaining, humourous, unexpected and in keeping with the tone of the game. Top marks to the writer for coming up with such an entertaining bit of schtick that works in the game’s context. More please!

49. theevilaires

great entertainment while i’m suffering this nasty flu. keep it up :P and who is this Jonarob guy? is he new? more importantly is he an xbot?

just asking no need to get offensive

50. HansGruber

Gruber out. Bored.

51. David

I find it funny how everyone reacts to Shatners post’s. He might be a dick but dear god the rest of you just can’t seem to cope with him having a difference in opinion.

Not that I’m defending anyone I just find it funny 1 post from Shatner turns into 60+ comments trying to prove him wrong.

Funny but dear god tiring.

I agree with the news article I would definitely welcome less testosterone in games.

52. Esha

Has plot ever been out of the eye of gaming? I think what Rhianna might mean is that plots have become slightly more important to mainstream action videogames.

I remember I was playing interactive fiction on the ZX-81, more of an interactive story than a game, and an environment where plot was paramount, and when interactive fiction evolves into adventure games, plot and well-written dialogue continued to be important, from Loom, through the ages of LucasArts, Sierra, including gems like the Tex Murphy games, right the way up to more recent entries like The Longest Journey and A Moment of Silence.

This is also true of computer roleplaying games, as Ultima VII had some of the finest dialogue I’ve ever come across in a game, and it still has some of the finest dialogue out here, t hat hasn’t changed. Then we have games like Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, through Anachronox, Neverwinter Nights, and up to more recent entries like Fallout 3.

I believe plot has always been as important as it is today, and it’s always been a paramount element of gaming, but I think it’s fair to say that mainstream gamers may be looking for more plot in their games today (perhaps because of all the cross-breeding of genres, which has allowed the stories of adventure games to intersect with action games and so on), is that a fair observation?

If Rhianna had been born a decade ago, and her plot writing skills were up to stuff (I’m not expressing an opinion either way here, so please don’t try to implicate one, that’s not what this post is about), then she would have easily found a place in LucasArts, Sierra, or working on one of the better written roleplaying games back then, she just would’ve been writing for a different audience than what she writes for today.

53. Esha

Oops, I was distracted for a moment there and made a misnomer which I can’t edit.

So I’ll just do this…

s/a decade ago/a decade earlier/

A simple slip, that one.

Oh, and post 69, that’s pretty fun!

54. scratchy69

That photo’s had a fair amount of photoshop work by the looks of it.