Pachter: 360 Twitter and Facebook integration “most important” E3 news

Wednesday, 24th June 2009 07:34 GMT By Patrick Garratt

twite31

Microsoft’s announcement that 360 is to be integrated with Facebook, Last.fm and Twitter was “far and away the most important” news of E3, Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter’s told Gamasutra.

The analyst said “that the media completely missed its importance,” adding that it signals a new direction for the machine, that of a “functioning computer” in the living room.

Pachter also said that the move “gives the company a huge jump start on a hopeful Apple, which has as yet to make a dent in sales of its AppleTV (intended for the same purpose).

“Microsoft appears to me to understand that it can leverage its 30 million installed base advantage if it moves quickly, and Apple will have a long way to go in order to catch up. By far, this was the most important announcement of E3.”

Very interesting stuff. Hit it. And if you’re not using Twitter already, then get with the program, soldier.

1. OrphanageExplosion

Integrating Facebook and Twitter into a machine with no keyboard doesn’t sound *that* good to me. Pachter once again shows that he is a bit clueless.

In terms of the implementation, I’d be curious to know if status updates and tweets will pop up in-game.

2. Phoenixblight

who cares really just another fact that M$ is not for Gaming but making 360 a set top box so they can control the software we use. THis is not innovative towards gaming whatsoever.

3. fearmonkey

remember the 360 does have the chatpad, and could allow keyboards if they wanted very easily.
    I dont really care about facebook or twitter, but last FM is kind of nice, Pandora would be better.

4. OrphanageExplosion

The chatpad is hardly a massive seller though is it? If I were being cynical I would say that the Twitter function is all about selling chatpads and making 360 sound more “cool”.

5. Hakkiz

If you don’t have the chatpad, you can use your standard USB keyboard for text input and browsing. So that’s hardly a problem. I think it’s nice that they give people new ways to stay in touch with friends. They already support Windows Live Messenger, and Facebook and Twitter just happen to be quite popular these days. However, personally I’m more interested in Last.fm and the possible Youtube app. :)

6. G1GAHURTZ

Yes. I have a chatpad, and use it for messaging/inputing codes all the time, and you can also use any USB keyboard if you so choose.

7. BillyBatts

Michael Pachter says something = News

8. Eregol

Granted you have to connect to the net, but seeing as PS3 already had access to Facebook and Twitter thanks to the internet browser how is this a major announcement?

There’s a perfectly good reason why journalists missed it’s importance Mr Pachter.

9. Cort

Eregol, be quiet. Sony have NEVER done anything first, remember?

;o)

10. frostquake

Damn now I have to buy that fugly pad that plugs into the controller…Microsoft will find away to make you buy their EVIL accessories….My facebook already shows what I am playing to all my friends….