Analyst: Natal is “technological solution in search of a problem”

Wednesday, 24th June 2009 12:21 GMT By Patrick Garratt

natal3

Cowen and Company analyst Doug Creutz isn’t impressed with Natal. In fact, he reckons Sony’s motion-sensing set-up for PS3 is a better propostition for the hardcore gamer.

“Natal appeared to me to be a technological solution in search of a problem,” said Creutz, speaking to Gama.

“I had a very hard time envisioning playing Modern Warfare 3 using Natal,” he said, adding, “By contrast, I had a very easy time envisioning it (and enjoying it) using Sony’s control/motion capture scheme.”

Creutz added that Microsoft is aiming at Wii’s casual audience with Natal – “a difficult proposition given that you’re essentially asking casual gamers to upgrade twice during the cycle.”

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Razor

Pfft…fanboy.

2. DrDamn

When it is released you will be able to pick up a 360 arcade system with Natal for about the cost of two *complete* Wii controllers – quite a consideration.

That said as a non-casual gamer I agree the PS3 system is a lot more attractive for the games I want to play – though I can see Natal supplementing the standard controller in some interesting ways.

3. Anders

I can’t see anyone using anything else than a classic controller to play Modern Warfare 3, to be honest.

4. JonFE

Anders, if recent Activision activities are anything to go by and they do get their way, we’ll be playing MW3 with a plastic Tommy Gun ;-)

5. Blerk

Don’t give them ideas!

6. Goliath

Who the hell cares?! Natal is not for the core gamer, and neither is Sony’s motion controller. Motion controllers will never replace the standard controller for core titles. He’s comparing apples and oranges.

7. G1GAHURTZ

tbh, it’s very difficult to imagine contolling movement in any FPS using anything other than a thumbstick. (I don’t like using keys.)

I for one, move about like an Olympic hurdler when I’m playing COD.

Jumping walls, sprinting across alleys, jumping then insta-ducking through windows ‘Indie style’, spinning around and headshotting some guy while I jump backwards down a flight of stairs, etc.

I can’t imagine either of the two motion controllers from MS or Sony giving me this sort of tight, precise control and freedom of movement.

What I can imagine, however, is a combination of Natal and a controller to give me the same movement, but a better sense of immersion.

I don’t see how the Sony wand could work this way without a nunchuck…

8. rainer

Aren’t these the same idiots that said Dragon Age will sell 4 million.

Why anyone bothers posting the comments from so called analysts I don’t get, unless its intentional trolling for generating hits.

9. DrDamn

@Goliath
    Both Sony and MS have indicated that they are for the core gamer. Natal in conjunction with a standard controller and Sony stressed the uses in core gaming during the demonstration at E3.

@G1GA
    Yep Natal as an enhancement to a standard controller would work well, head tracking for example.

The actual features of a Sony Wand have not been given – if you assume an analog stick of some description on it then two wands together would work very nicely. The problem I always have with Wii FPS is that you end up aiming and looking with the wii-mote and have the nun-chuk stick as movement. This set-up cannot effectively do a standard FPS move – the circle strafe.

With two wands and two sticks you have the standard set-up and the addition of aiming with one of the wands within the boundaries of where you are looking. Could be great – though moot if they don’t put a stick on the wand.

10. JonFE

Blerk, they already shoehorned a plastic skateboard into a once-popular-but-fading-nowadays franchise. Do you honestly believe they haven’t *already* looked into something similar for their most precious (besides WoW) franchise?

11. sennasnit

You NEED something in your hands for fucks sake, and i’m afraid “PENIS” isn’t an option.

12. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I suppose so DD. It’d be nice if between them, at least one of them could come up with something that really adds something to the FPS genre, at least.

13. polygem

…people seem to forget that with natal you´ll also be able to use something like a stick or a plastic gun with buttons and triggers…ms will probably bring a gunlike controller on the market for shooters….also they promised natal can scan things (but this seems weird to me)…i love the 360 controller so i believe they will do a good job with creating new controlerlike tools – if needed…well we´ll see when this new tech launches…

14. DarkElfa

After reading this article at joystiq and and one after it where Doug Creutz also attacks the Wii, methinks ol’ Doug has some connection to Sony in some way that causes him to bash all the game companies except Sony for whom he only seems to have praise.

15. fearmonkey

it’s great that we have this guy to tell us how the future will be, as analysts are just so damn good at predicitng it.
    Until we have a finished product with games that actually support it, how can anyone make any guesses on sony or MS’s tech with any conviction.

geez