Sony on Kotick PS3 drop threat – We respect third-party opinion, but no comment

Friday, 19th June 2009 15:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3111

Sony just issued a statement on Bobby Kotick’s threat earlier today to drop PS3 and PSP support.

“We respect our third-parties’ opinions and their right to express those opinions but we will not be commenting on this story,” said a SCEE rep.

The Activision boss said this morning that his company may drop support for Sony hardware in 2010 or 2011 unless PS3′s price is cut.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has already branded Kotick’s comments as “bluffing”.

1. Gekidami

They’d probably prefer to let it slide or do everything out of the public eye.

2. Blerk

Ah, the silent treatment! Quite unlike them – kudos!

Next week – ignoring them at parties.

3. Razor

Aww :|

I wanted fireworks.

4. Anders

Behind the scenes, Kaz Hirai is attacking Koticks office windows with rotten eggs.

“Here’s your price cut!”

5. Lutz

That was WANK.

6. theevilaires

great move sony, i’ll take care the rest…

LMAO at Anders comment, i was on my way to their offices to do that :P

7. Psychotext

Yawn.

8. No_PUDding

Hahah, I like the rotten eggs thing the best.

But yeah, I guess Kudos, in that reponse! Cry all you want but it’s their disgression.

9. Razor

Midnight in Tokyo now…I wonder if Kaz was in bed.

What a nice wake up call that must have been.

10. G1GAHURTZ

So the comment that they prepared was…

‘No comment’.

Nice!

11. Suikoden Fan

sony being the silent wankers they always are at scee

12. theevilaires

They had to wait until the cell processor came up with a good enough answer. its thinking…

13. Eregol

It took that long to basically say ‘No Comment’.

They could have put a bit more effort in surely?

14. Lutz

If that’s the case TEA we’ll be here for a goodly long while.

15. Suikoden Fan

@eregol scee don’t no the meaning of the word effort leave that to scea and scej

16. Eregol

@ Suikoden Fan: Good point. Although I thought that went to the PS Store department.

17. theevilaires

the “its thinking” bit was more of a reference to the old dreamcast ads than the cell Lutz..oops i mean psycho

18. Suikoden Fan

@eregol, bit of column a bit of column b

19. anasui

Expecting a no comment. I mean, what could they possibly say about this?

20. Suikoden Fan

@anasui fuck off bobby? certainly would be entertaining

21. Gekidami

Yeah pretty much, Sony never really comment on this kind of stuff anyway.

22. Suikoden Fan

@gekidami, sony hardly comment fall stop especially scee the silent twats, the silence they gave the ps3 users since its launch was ironically deafining.

23. SlayerGT

Im sorry you dont make enough money on the crap you repackage and sell at 99 to 199 dollar price points every six months. Personally I could care less seeing as I do not own, or have ever owned, a call of duty or guitar hero. So you wouldnt be missing out on my money anyway. Go for it.

24. anasui

Fuck you Bobby woulda been so good :D

25. XDamage

I think this is a case of Activision pretty much knowing that there will be a price cut on the PS3 this year, so by saying this now they can score some extra points among gullible gamers because they will be viewed as the company that “forced” Sony to drop the price.

26. TheTwelve

Spare me, Sony h8ers. This is what big companies have always done to one another. Both Sony and Activision need one another, but it doesn’t hurt to bluff one another into doing what the other wants.

Sony has no comment because the situation isn’t serious enough to warrant a comment. As a matter of fact, saying something would be out of their “jurisdiction”. They don’t want to say something completely stupid and blow this up more than it already is.

Everyone knows Sony needs a pricecut, Sony knows it too. They’re just trying to hang on as long as they can making that money per-console, and this is Activision using their muscle to push the change faster.

It is now likely that this Activision chief will take his words back, and also likely that Sony will do the pricecut faster than they wanted.

But you know what? It’s also likely that none of this will happen and this will be a thing continually blown up by the internet community but ultimately mean nothing.

P.S. Oh, and don’t you know that Microsoft wants Sony to do a pricecut less than Sony does? People are viewing this as an anti-Sony opportunity to bash but Sony and Activision would only mutually profit from this.

27. Psychotext

“Sony and Activision would only mutually profit from this”

I doubt Sony would be profit much at all from a big price cut.

28. TheTwelve

I think Sony is sitting rather pretty with the current PS3+PS2+PSP sales. They are going to hold out with the current PS3 sales and its price as long as the 360 is barely winning/losing in so many areas around the world. I don’t know why people think that Sony is a struggling organization where a PS3 pricecut would cripple the entire gaming division.

29. anasui

Sony haters, lol. This is like entering a church and claiming its full of Jews

30. No_PUDding

You know what a church is right?

You despise Sony, and told me yourself.

31. TheTwelve

Definition of hater as I meant it:

32. Psychotext

“I don’t know why people think that Sony is a struggling organization where a PS3 pricecut would cripple the entire gaming division.”

It might have something to do with losing all the profits made from the PS1 / PS2 in the last 3 years. A massive price cut would likely continue that trend, in the short term at least.

33. TheTwelve

Oh, ok. So you believe that a “massive” pricecut would bring Sony down in flames, the PS3 will be cancelled in a year, and the Wii and 360 shall reign supreme.

Ok, but I find that beyond unlikely.

I would love to read something that says that Sony has lost all of the PS1/PS2 profit in the last three years. It may very well be true—I’ve just never come across this bit of information.

34. Redh3lix

I’d like to see a source of that info aswell lol

35. Seraphemz

That info is filed under ‘speculation’….

36. DaMan

I do remember David Perry last year saying Sony lost more on PS3 than it gained with PS2.

37. Psychotext

It was actually the PS2 profits: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169439

They’re about $1.3bn off losing all the profits made since the gaming division was created (Basically everything they made after 1999 they’ve since lost). That would probably take another two years at current rates.

38. Seraphemz

So I was right…filed under ‘speculation’

Remember folks Sony has 3 consoles on the market. Its doing fine.

But, a price drop would be better.

39. TheTwelve

Thank you for the link—seriously—but it’s what I thought, somebody making an official guess about what’s going on, while not truly knowing the real numbers.

Heck, I’m an “industry veteran” too. WTH does that mean.

Only a fool would say that Sony hasn’t lost money on the PS3 thus far but only a Sony h8er fully in the grips of internet hysteria would go so far as to say that Sony has gained nothing this gen and a pricecut would ruin them.

Anybody who truly thinks that Sony is getting caught with their pants down this gen should give props to the immense first party investment Sony must have started at least half a decade ago, predicting the demise of third-party exclusives.

Neither Microsft or Sony are going anywhere as of now, and the only reason why Nintendo hasn’t been squeezed out is because the Wii has turned out to be a fluke phenomenon.

Activision’s quote is just one of many similar words flung about in many industries outside of gaming. This really isn’t an issue of losing money so much as it’s an issue of rich people wanting to get richer.

40. Psychotext

“Its doing fine”

…and again, when you’re losing $500m to $1bn a year, you’re really not doing fine in any sense of the word. Those sort of losses would cripple most companies, it’s only because Sony (and Microsoft before it) are so big that they’re able to survive it.

You can see all the numbers here if you’re interested:

Oh, and for what it’s worth… I don’t think that a major price cut would kill Sony. It would just kill any hope of profits for the next year or so.

41. TheTwelve

The recession didn’t just begin in 2009, Psych. It’s been a trend that has finally led to this point over the past few years. Sony is just one of many companies, including Microsoft, that has experienced loss in one way or another.

Sony is indeed just as “fine” as anybody else during these times.

Is Sony happy? heeeeeck no.

42. theevilaires

you said both ps1 and ps2 profits. i guess you chose to bark loud and The12 challenged your bite.

12…3456789 :P

43. Rhythm

Good link, PT. How the hell either MS or Sony are still going I have no idea

44. theevilaires

The12 is really making a name for himself by going up against psycho. I think its time for you to retire psycho, what are you 33, 36 the most in real life

45. TheTwelve

Haha, Evil, it’s just one fake, faceless internet name talking to another on some corner of cyberspace. If all of my talking on forums actually meant something, I’d be a billionaire.

46. Shatner

“..fully in the grips of internet hysteria ..”

And we all know who prolongs and profits most from a good bit of internet hysteria.

Soon, everything will be delivered as though it’s a ‘megaton’ even when it’s not.

47. Psychotext

@TEA: I recalled the figures incorrectly, I’m happy to admit I made a mistake.

/not perfect :)

48. Seraphemz

Wow PT…that was….grown up of you.

49. Psychotext

I iz adults!

50. jnms

@Shatner: OMGZ! Sounds like Faux News and the Flying Pig Flu!

51. sanduixe

I agree with Patcher, this is all bluff.

52. The_Deleted

Oh no! A crappy company that everyone is rapidly losing patience with is going to stop supporting a format no one has.

53. David

how is anyone losing patience with them ?

54. NiceFellow

Activision won’t actually do squat and his base facts are wrong (attach rate on PS3 is improving, its selling more or less same as 360 globally each week at a higher price, yeah, that’s really falling behind)

Sony don’t really need to respond, although I think US did with a polite reminder that plenty of games will be coming to PS3 (i.e. yawn)

He’s only wanting a price cut because he wants more HD consoles out there.

From his point of view a PS3 price cut means higher weekly PS3 sales which means more MW2 sales. Also, a PS3 price cut would probably result in PS3 outselling the 360 WW again, which would likely mean another 360 price cut, which means more 360s selling each week… which means even more PS3/360s out there in total which means lot’s more MW2 sales.

Oh, such transparency! Still, at least his greed is honest, open greed. You know where you are with that.

55. Psychotext

@NiceFellow: Attach rate doesn’t have anything to do with the price of the console. It’s the number of games sold for each console that they’ve already sold. Price of each game would make a difference… but I think that’s pretty much the same on both of the HD consoles.

56. NiceFellow

^^
    Yes, I know. What I meant is he seemed to be implying that PS3 attach rate was suffering, whereas my understanding, from sites such as this one and others, is that after a shaky start the PS3 attach rate has stabilized pretty much in line with 360 (as you state) – i.e. his ‘concerns’ about the PS3 are unfounded based on sales, etc. but sound good in ’rounding out’ his comments.

57. Psychotext

As far as I’m aware, time aligned they’re (Wii, PS3, 360) all within about 2 games of each other. So yeah, it’s all fairly even.

58. stvw74

Bluff or not, Koticks lifespan just decreased .. I think Sony should say, “Alright Kotick, this is how it works .. Go fk ursel and that A$$ of a company, we’ll go Rock Band for music & Ubi for shooters, no wait .. Byeeee!!”
    Ok, they won’t do that but it makes no sense to pander to devs, no matter how big ..
    The PS3 is still great value for money and I for one don’t want Sony to be forced into a decision by someone who clearly doesnt own one ..
    ActiBliz main concerned is that MAG will be a bigger hit on the PS3 and they want to cover their own slump in sales, understandably. But to publicly air laundry that should be behind closed doors ..
    Bye bye Kotick .. it was, er, a mistake to upset soooo many gamers with such a blatently stupid remark that it’s beyond reprehension ..
    I honestly don’t own any Activision products, I played thru QoS and was unimpressed, not big on FPS or peripheral based milking, so a big MEH from me ..

59. Psychotext

MAG sales aren’t going to come close to MW2 sales stvw.