LotRO growing, no plans for server-merge, says Turbine

Friday, 19th June 2009 21:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

lotrobook8

Unlike other MMOs that have had to merge servers, the same cannot be said for Lord of the Rings Online because the user base is expanding, according to Turbine.

We asked Aaron Campbell, live producer for the game, if the company had seen a drop off in player activity on certain servers or if there were plans to merge servers in the future.

“If anything, The Lord of the Rings Online is growing,” he told us. “We have no plans to merge servers.

“And please don’t mention it, it makes me twitch unpleasantly.”

Same here Aaron.

More of our chat with Turbine will be posted soon.

1. anasui

just wait until B8 kicks in and a wave of champs trash their subs

2. David

Oh god players hating change in an MMO the world is coming to an end. If I’ve learned anything in the world of MMO’s is that inevitably character classes get Nerfed in the ass.

3. anasui

this change is asinine. Doesn’t solve whats supposed to solve and penalizes the 99% of the community just because some turd thought a champ would tank in fervour. Do you know what this change’s about, David?

4. David

Look at star wars galaxies, they completely trashed that games leveling system in place of a system simaler to WoW. It was unique and had charm but the developers thought other wise.

In the end what players need changing and what actually does get changed are 2 different things.

I played LOTRO for a short while but it just felt like a wow clone even with the lore behind it the gameplay was not unique enough for me.

5. Michael O'Connor

“Look at world of warcraft what a beautiful game it was at level 60 then all the changes happened. Half the classes are useless now in PVP especially warlock.”

Warlocks are one of the highest ranking PvP classes in WoW at the moment. What pipe are you smoking?

Speaking of which, I finally cancelled my account for this game, and it had nothing to do with class changes. It’s Blizzard’s constant nerfing of the game’s challenge to the point where there *isn’t* one. If you’ve seen the latest patch notes, you’ll know why.

It took them 3 whole years, but Blizzard has finally convinced me to quit. Maybe I’ll give LotRO a go…

6. David

Fear is and a few other spells are all the warlock has to defend it. Unless thats changed since I stopped playing. I still thing the PvP in wow is no were near as good or reward as it once was. Arena was a good inclusion to the system but over all its just not fun anymore. Thats kind of why I stopped playing I got to the end got some nice gear and then got bored because the PvP just isn’t fun anymore. If you don’t like pvp end game has nothing to offer. Thats were wow’s true form comes to light. Unless you are into PvP the game is absent of anything fun to do.

Ramble over all mmo’s developers make changes that generally annoy the community.

7. Michael O'Connor

“Well I don’t know about now but when I was playing with my level 80 warlock in regards to damage output just sucked the big one.”

Then you need to learn to play better. Just because you’re not good at your class doesn’t mean they’ve been nerfed.

8. David

I was good at my class but my point is the class did get nerfed. That is a simple fact don’t believe me then that’s fine. In my opinion compared to what the PvP use to be before the expansions it sucks now.

9. Michael O'Connor

“I was good at my class but my point is the class did get nerfed. That is a simple fact don’t believe me then that’s fine.”

They regularly topped the PvE DPS charts, and they’re one of the most popular classes in PvP, so no, it’s not a simple fact.

Clearly, the strategies required to win changed. It’s up to you to learn and adapt to those changes, instead of crying nerf just because you keep losing.

10. David

I’m not crying nerf and your just picking on a single aspect of my post I know how to play the game and knew how to pvp. The fact the warlock up on the charts is good but when I played they were the butt of almost all the jokes from the other classes.

Like I pointed out I haven’t played in a while things obviously have changed for the better in regards to that class. Your arguing on how I played the game compared to how it has been for the pasted few months.

11. anasui

“Not really bothered I’ve played more than my fair share of MMO’s to know when the community starts moaning it means the developer is nerfing something or a class that the player base love (Mostly because its over powered or just not balanced correctly). 10/10 Times the changes the developers make always end up hurting the game more to the point were they need to make change after change after change.”

exactly. Graalx, the berk developing the class, is so incompetent I’m really puzzled about how the other guys at Turbine justify his total ignorance about the class. This patch is pointless, like I said, because 1) doesn’t solve the issue about champs tanking in Fervour stance. They will keep doing it, just with more heals 2) nerfs the only useful champ legendary trait, which really didnt need to be nerfed at all because its already got a serie of countermeasures 3) affects self-heals, like potions. Yes, you heard it right, if a champ goes solo and he’s in need of some juice, his potions will have -30% healing. And you know what this bloody dev said about this? They couldnt be bothered to fix all the potions because there were too much of them.

thats real customer care, I reckon. LOTRO people have been showing this kind of highly irritating, ignorant, disrespectful, blatantly lazy attitude for too much time. That’s why I’m cancelling my sub next month, they can stick their fucking arrogance up their asses, and I’ll go so far as to say I hope the game finally fails, because this bunch of berks clearly shoulnd’t be able to treat the people who pay their jobs in this horrendous way anymore.

bring on SWTOR

12. Hunam

Is that true? LOTRO is Turbines biggest game and yet they can’t be bothered to do a little extra work? Sounds horrific.

Mythic on the other hand seem like a good bunch of chaps who genuinely care about the game and the player base, but are a little guilty of taking too much notice of the fans when it comes to class changes.

Blizzard are obviously pretty much the hardest working, but it never seems to sit properly, there is always one class that is shit and one that is great, so they counter balance them at the same time and it screws it all up again, then they get annoyed with it all and just re-write the whole thing, then realise they are back to square one and go round in circles.

13. Bill Bobaggins

The strange thing is that LOTRO has changed things in the game to attract the WoW crowd. And that they did. Now the game has a bunch of 8 year old “OMG I SO PWNZRED YOU!1!!!ONE!!111!!!” players it’s annoying.

Oh, and grinding…holy crap. That’s ALL you do in Moria. Book 7 gave us Lothlorien, but all you do there is run around and sing to trees, pick flowers, turn lights on, and scold drunk elves over and over and over and over again.

And speaking of raiding, they’ve gear gated everything, so in order to do one instance, you have to do several others and coming in Book 8, you’ll have to do even more instances to be able to do the new raid that’s coming out.

LOTRO was good when it came out, but ever since the release of Moria, it has been nothing but grind, grind, grind.

And don’t even get me started on the problems they have been having for the past six months.

Why do all MMO’s fall into the same rut? They come out of the gate running, but end up totally screwing up the game after the first year.

14. David

“The crafting system is useless. Random drops are better than most of the stuff that can be made, and you can’t make anything that comes close to the raid gear that’s available.”

before star wars galaxies was stabbed in the back the community’s crafting system was one of the biggest attractions too me. Everything and anything in the game was player made. The only drops were resources which could be used for different crafts.

That’s what I want in a mmo a game that’s not about raiding for hours in dungeons hoping that you win a drop but instead a game were all the players work together.

No game has ever come close to the amazing community that SWG had back in the day. WoW type crafting system is pointless to an extent since everything and anything you can craft you can get better in a dungeon.

I really hope we go back to the days of SWG type mmo systems WoW made the mmo genre stagnant.

15. Hunam

SWG system is fine for the hardcore, it works perfect in EVE, but for casual play it’ll never work.

16. David

pfft I would rather kick casual’s to the curb hate games that are made to appeal to them.

17. Hunam

Not everyone can devote hours to it, some just want to play online with their mates for a few hours a week, they pay all the same so why turn money away?

18. David

Hunam SWG in the old days never took hours I never played for hours. The way the mmo was setup you could do pretty much what you wanted right from the start. Be an adventurer and explore the world excel in combat or be a crafter make a few things here and there. Or if you like to entertain people you could spend your time traveling from planet to planet dancing in the bars or playing music.

The system in Eve might sound simaler to SWG but in every respect SWG never required you to spend hours playing to get anywhere. Only Jedi required a commitment like that it took my friend a whole year of grinding to get Jedi before the game got trashed.

19. Hunam

Oh right. Jedi’s were and are still the biggest problem with a Star Wars MMO tbh. Everyone wants to be a Jedi. Make them to pussy and everyone will hate the game, make them too strong and all the other classes are useless. I’d love to find out how Bioware will tackle this issue.

20. beanbaggins

x

21. SwiftRanger

“Make them to pussy and everyone will hate the game, make them too strong and all the other classes are useless. I’d love to find out how Bioware will tackle this issue.”

I think they went for a ‘just as powerful as other classes’ approach as it should be. If only they’d learned to do that in previous KotOR games.