Leadbetter: PS3 Ghostbusters “simply isn’t good enough”

Thursday, 18th June 2009 13:43 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ghostbusters8

DF’s Richard Leadbetter has called out Terminal Reality on the PS3 version of Ghostbuster’s saying the greatly reduced resolution over the 360 game “simply isn’t good enough”.

The game’s PS3 version runs at 960×540, while the 360 SKU hits 1280×720.

From Eurogamer’s latest face-off:

My response to that is pretty straightforward. First of all, PS3 Ghostbusters is rendering 518,400 pixels per frame. Xbox 360 is managing 921,600, so there’s some interesting mathematics going on in that statement. Secondly, if quincunx anti-aliasing is compromising your image quality to this degree, why not try another solution? With regards the RAM situation, it’s a well-known limitation that the vast majority of cross-platform developers have (thankfully) managed to overcome.

The admission that 25 per cent of the texture work in Ghostbusters is compromised on PS3 is very telling. More than that, the notion that somehow we’re not allowed to compare the two versions without downscaling the higher resolution one is frankly astonishing. How many people out there have 540p displays? Perhaps we should we be sitting further away from the screen to make the two games look the same? Terminal Reality’s response, rather like the PS3 build itself, simply isn’t good enough.

Full thing through there.

1. Mike

Should get them on a Jerry Springer type show.

2. Syrok

That’s actually one of the first times I really see a difference between two versions.

3. Blerk

4. Tonka

OMG, the PS3 really is shit, isn’t it?

5. Redh3lix

lol Tonka.

As a PS3 owner, I now have a mental note to avoid all titles by Terminal Reality.

6. pleasant_cabbage

Blerk wrote: I feel a bit sorry for them, to be honest. They’ve already had the shit kicked out of them by various publishers, and now they’ve got the wrath of the internets on their backs too.

Yeah but those comments TR’s dood came out with (objects and cores) kind of turned into a self-made rod.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Wow.

The video really highlights the difference.

tbh, I’m sure that most people will just be able to tell that the difference between the two is just down to the bad decisions of the developer rather than any limitation of either console.

I really can’t see why this is such a big deal… I mean it’s news worthy or whatever, but surely it’s common knowledge by now that both consoles are capable of much more than this game has to offer…?

8. David

What because a developer who has had numerious publishing issues had difficulty with weird hardware configurations ?

OMG the game isn’t running in 720p neither is Halo 3 and that plays just fine. Oh I forgot people are shallow enough to care what resolution a game runs at.

9. Eregol

@ David
    But it has already been proven that the PS3 can do graphics on a par and better than 360. It just requires the right coding.
    It isn’t the fact that the game isn’t running at 720p that’s riling, it’s the fact it’s running at 720 on one machine and not the other.

I’m surprised that Sony left it so late to secure a EU exclusive on this, one thing they could have done is secured the deal earlier and supplied TR with a Sony rep who could have taught them how to get the most out of the machine looks wise a la Killzone 2.

10. Psychotext

“I really can’t see why this is such a big deal…”

The only reason it’s getting such attention is because of what they said about the platforms originally. Had they kept their mouths shut then the attention given to the issues would have largely been limited to a couple of paragraphs in a Eurogamer face off article.

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Let’s get one thing clear here people….this is NOT a PS3 performance issue, this is a developer issue (laziness, ignorance, this I do not know).

Yes, it is true the PS3 is harder to develop for than X360, however I needn’t mentiont the long list of exceptional PS3 games that have identical X360 counterparts. Not to mention the outstanding work by Naughty Dog, Konami, and Capcom with the system.

Again, this case comes down to the developer. Argue if you like, the proof is all the tripple AAA games that have already been developed on PS3, not this lazy shit approach.

12. Syrok

Surely it’s also an issue of the PS3 when it is seemingly more complicated to develop for than the other consoles.

13. blackdreamhunk

looking this game I would called a waste of my time. if any friends or people ask about the game I will say rent it. if you

14. dunk sb

It seems I do not have to try it

15. anasui

so Valve’s right

16. reask

Yes of course it is the developers fault.
    I mean they should be honoured that there game is on PS3.
    After all this is the cell.

I reckon people should be made take a IQ test before been allowed to buy a PS3.
    I mean you have to be really intelligent to understand the high price of it. :(

17. freedoms_stain

Is this developer just a lazy shit or what?

Can’t be arsed with PC multiplayer (no excuse for that really, they could have delayed the release until it was ready like most other devs do)

Can’t be arsed learning how to code optimally on PS3 (again, they could have delayed the release until it was ready.

Just a poor showing all round. They should’ve made it a 360 exclusive or whored the game out to devs who know what they’re doing to make proper PS3 and PC ports.

18. Zarckan

No Valve are not right.

To say it’s harder to develop for the PS3 is nonsense. it’s just different.

PC/360 games all use DirectX for the main part, the nice thing about DX is you don’t have to be a great programmer to do great things, you just need to tell DX to do stuff for you, which it does.

PS3 uses OpenGL which is the preferred Graphics pipeline for a lot of developers, usually ones that have been around for more than 5-7 years in this business.

So in reality it’s just different, not harder or easier, just different, if you know how to program well on both systems you can do vastly different things, and both will looks awesome.

E.G. take a look at the Assassins Creed II PS3 footage from E3, or Uncharted.

IF the PS3 was gimped compared to the 360 and Valve were right, then by rights neither of those games would look as awesome as they do, correct?

All that has happened here with Terminal Reality is, that they have proved that they’re not very competent, or simply didn’t have the time to get their shit together.

On PS3 there are enough middleware solutions to enable developers to avoid getting down and dirty with the system if they don’t want to, IE PhyreEngine, Gamebryo, UE3, Vicious Engine etc etc.

What tech was used to power GhostBusters, was it inhouse? if so they are fools. Developers really need to be using middleware, NOT just for making shit look good on PS3, but to vastly reduce development times/costs. We have middleware providers for a reason folks, use them.

19. Zarckan

As an addition to my last post, ALL developers need to use Middleware for all platforms, NOT just PS3.

20. Eregol

What Zarckan said.

Couldn’t have been worded any better IMHO.

21. Zarckan

@freedoms_stain…

See my post, I think we’re singing from the same hymn sheet dude.

22. David

It is a developer issue but we don’t know all the facts. I still don’t see the point of this article though. Its just a resolution change it doesn’t change the core gameplay 1 single bit. From what I’ve read the gameplay is slightly above average and even on the 360 version it lacks polish.

To me the fact it seems to lack polish on both sides regardless of the resolution issue speaks of rushing the production of the game.

Comment 5 annoys me though pretty shallow gamer if you ask me.

23. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Unfortunately, many eyes are now going to see things as comment #4 when in fact the developers at fault, NOT the PS3.

24. anasui

whats the big deal? 99% of the people here think the Wii is shit for the same reason. Taste some of the same medicine, fanboys

25. David

But the Wii is shit because of its shovel-ware :P not because of its resolution ^.~

26. Blerk

Wii Ghostbusters is supposed to be pretty good, though. :-)

27. anasui

@David

yes but I was referring to the lazy devs fact

AND yes, I played GB Wii and its actually not too shabby

28. David

I’m just kidding I like the Wii but just too exhausting for me to play it half the time.

29. Redh3lix

Why does my comment annoy you? I tend to purchase my games based on developer more than anything else. Valve’s instant dismissal of developing for PS3 ring a bell?… because “its crap” (Gabe Newall)? Konami, Infinity Ward, THQ, Naughty Dog etc etc…. you soon learn houses like these produce quality gaming experiences between the ones that simply dont give a shit or are generally crap at the job. Make sense?

EDIT: The game looks and sounds shit by previews/reviews anyhow which further re-inforces my belief.

30. David

Sorry but I still think your comment is very shallow. Because a developer decides they don’t want to put the cost into making games for a certain system you push them to the side.

Unlike you I choose my games on actual gameplay not graphics or the developer name.

It annoys me because the game-play doesn’t change ? Does it upset you that someone in America is playing a 360 version at a higher resolution that you can’t enjoy the game for what it is (A game).

31. daytripper

please dont turn this into a N4G clone. please i beg of you

32. Redh3lix

I suspect if I weren’t a PC gamer aswell I wouldn’t be overly bothered by technical specifications and visual quality/clarity. Put simply, if you had the choice to buy two products for the same price and one product was of better specification, which would you buy? I dont think it’s really about being shallow, its just about not being ripped off in a way.

33. FeaturePreacher

None of this comparison matters in terms of sales. Consumers in Europe are just as dumb as consumers in the states. They’ll get the inferior ps3 version since it’s easier to acquire than importing the superior 360 version. Thank goodness I’m in the states where I can choose the 360 edition.

34. Hero of Canton

I think it’s tragic that all this technical nonsense is overshadowing the fact that it’s a very good game, whichever format you get it for. It just looks a bit nicer on the 360 is all.

All this Digital Foundry stuff is meant to be interesting for proper tech-heads, but ultimately it just brings the worst kind of fanboys out of the closet. Eurogamer might intend these Face-Off pieces as serious-minded looks at how devs are dealing with the different architecture of the two HD consoles, but they wind up leading to nothing more than pointless arguments along the lines of ‘LOL my console’s dick is bigger than yours’.

35. MushroomStamp

I blame Sony because their Libraries and dev tools just are not up to the Standards the rest of the world develops with.\

I have all both systems, and EVERY single game that is on both systems has always been better on the 360.

-Not a fanboy, just personal experience