Harold Ramis “glad” he passed up directing Super Mario Bros film

Thursday, 18th June 2009 08:55 GMT By Nathan Grayson

smbmovie01

Harold Ramis — director of such films as “Caddyshack,” “Groundhog Day” and “Analyze This” — thinks he dodged a bullet Bill by ducking out of a directorial role in the notoriously awful Super Mario Bros film.

“(Producer) Roland Joffe wanted me to direct the ‘Super Mario Bros.’ movie,” Ramis told the Associated Press. “I took the meeting because I loved the game.”

“I’m glad I said no,” he added with a laugh.

Among other things, Ramis is now appearing in the Ghostbusters videogame. He’s also able to sleep well at night, un-haunted by the specter of directing what turned out to be attempted murder on the
Mario franchise. We consider both of these things positives.

More through the link.

1. Blerk

I’ve never seen the Super Mario film. Perhaps I ought…. nah.

Groundhog Day is stupidly brilliant. I’ll watch that again instead.

2. Hero of Canton

More posts from Nathan, please. They’re always really good.

EDIT: Nothing against Pat or t’others, of course. But I rarely read a post from this fella without smiling at least once.

3. Nathan Grayson

:D

4. Hero of Canton

It was the strikethrough on ‘Bill’ that really did it for me.

5. anasui

never really liked GD, but yes, SMB the movie was one of the biggest pieces of shit I’ve ever seen. How can you forget the good old Bob Hoskins:

“The worst thing I ever did? Super Mario Brothers. It was a fuckin’ nightmare. The whole experience was a nightmare. It had a husband-and-wife team directing, whose arrogance had been mistaken for talent. After so many weeks their own agent told them to get off the set! Fuckin’ nightmare. Fuckin’ idiots.”

can’t really be more awesome than that :D