AMD and Nvidia to release “next gen” graphics chip by year’s end

Thursday, 18th June 2009 17:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

amdnvidia

AMD and Nvidia both plan to release new graphics chips by the end of the year.

Great. We just updated ours.

According to a report from VentureBeat, this next-gen batch will be so fantastic it’s “bound to drive the stock prices of the rivals involved either up or down through the rest of the year”.

Both will incorporate 40nm chips on the cards, and are expected to support DirectX 11 within a year.

AMD plans to release its new tech to coincide with the launch of Windows 7, while Nvidia are keeping mum on when its lovely chip will be released.

Via Kotaku, VentureBeat.

1. Hunam

This is what I’m waiting for. Going to splurge for one of the top end £400 ($600) ones, not had a proper top end card since the Geforce 4 series.

2. G1GAHURTZ

That’s right! It’s amazing! NEW, NEW, NEW!!!

Play Crysis @257fps instead of that measly 212fps that was holding you back!

All for a measly £429.99!

3. G1GAHURTZ

I hope you have the PSU and M/B to support it then Hunam.

4. Hunam

The plan is to buy a new system this year, proper lavish one. Been doing incremental upgrades for the last 5 years to keep it in the high-middle ground, but feeling the need for excess.

5. G1GAHURTZ

Cool.

I need a new PC tbh. Mostly for 3D work and web stuff though…

6. Hunam

My PC is just for web browsing and games. Been spending like £150 every two years on it to keep up but a core 2 duo and 8800GT while will play everything just doesn’t do enough for me.

Most of my ‘pro’ work is on mac’s though, audio software surprisingly isn’t that killer in terms of performance.

7. blackdreamhunk

lest see who is going to have the best hardware.

8. Gekidami

‘Lest’ see which is the most exspensive with near to no decent games.

9. blackdreamhunk

check out the new toy on the pc gaming market!!!

10. Gekidami

Repeating are we, ok then:
    $1,799 minimum for the games that are available on PC? :D
    Oh PC gaming, how laughable you’ve become.

11. Whizzo

Well that PC sure is laughable, PC gaming is fine though.

12. satsugai

I might treat myself, I’ve never bought a top of the line card before. :D

13. ecu

Hmm.. I’m going to get a new PC in August/September. Not sure what to do now. I want it to be able to comfortably run Crysis on higher end settings, but I don’t want to pay loads for a graphics card that will probably be reduced two months later because of these cards coming out. Bloody PC’s!

14. tiger253

^ Hey ecu, I’m going to build one around that time too. I would get the fastest single card setup now and later sell it and upgrade to the next gen ones. The GTX 285 plays Crysis with everything on Very High, No AA at 30+ frames. There are recertified 285′s for 269.99 on Newegg.

15. Grimrita

Hopefully AMD can strike back now. Nvidia ruled the dual core format with its brilliant 88XX series and 98XX series, but with ATi offering much more bang for your buck with its 48XX and 49XX – the future is bright. We just need a superb AMD processor now!