Dave Jones “miffed” that Crackdown 2 went to Ruffian

Wednesday, 17th June 2009 12:33 GMT By Patrick Garratt

crackdown2

Realtime Worlds’ Dave Jones has told GI he’s not exactly thrilled Crackdown 2 went to Ruffian Games.

“I think it was unfortunate that it had to be with a start-up in Dundee… it is challenging to get enough developers in one region as it is, so that was the only little big of negativity to the story,” he said.

“It’s just one of those awkward moments. In terms of the franchise, as always – as with anything we’ve created – we’re always keen to see it do great things. This is like a bump in the road… was there really no way it could have been done by one of the studios Microsoft shut down?

“I was a bit miffed at Microsoft that it happened that way, but you live and learn,” he added.

Ruffian’s staff roster includes many that worked on the original Crackdown.

Crackdown 2 was announced in Microsoft’s E3 press conference at the beginning of the month.

1. Johnny Cullen

I cant believe he’s being bitter about this, you’d think he’d be happy for Ruffian considering they’re mostly old skool RTW.

Just imagine if it was another studio, with no links to RTW at all, then he’d probably had a reason.

EDIT: Oh I just seen he wished them well on it.

2. Eon

I think he is being a bit critical. Yeah, RTW aren’t working on it but he is making it out like Ruffian have nobody there. Surely the next best studio to RTW working on the Crackdown sequel is a studio that had a decent percentage of the guys who worked on the original.

3. Blerk

He doesn’t seem to be miffed that he’s not doing it himself, just miffed that RTW is competition for the talent in the same area. A ‘not on my doorstep’ moment, if you will. :-)

4. Captain Fruitloop

MS set up a group of devs – most of them RTW staffers – on RTW’s doorstep, to make the Crackdown sequel that MS originally dithered on, when RTW were hot to do it after the success of the first one.

Ruffian continue to bleed off staff from RTW, staff that – as the interview says – RTW have worked hard to bring to Dundee.

As Chris Rock said, “I’m not saying he’s right, I’m saying….I understand…”

5. Prof Power Glove

Aye, anyone who has to deal with project team resources can probably be a bit sympathetic to what he’s saying here.

Plus, it almost “seems” like a few RTW’ers showed a lack of loyalty in leaving to form a studio, perhaps knowing full well that a deal could be in the making. That’s an assumption and I have no inside info on this, just speculation.

From a gamers pov, i am glad that former crackdown people are working on the title. Although to be honest, i thought the pre-rendered (?) trailer would excite me more. It all looked a bit dark/gritty and lacking the original’s art style.

6. mightyhokie

I hope they don’t change too much about this game from the first. I would like more diversity of missions (since every area of the city was exactly the same) but the game play and finding the orbs and using certain powers to increase those was great.

7. MushroomStamp

LOVED the first Crackdown. Can’t wait for the 2nd :)