BBFC says it can do a better job than PEGI on game ratings

Tuesday, 16th June 2009 16:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

bbfc2

British Board of Film Classification director David Cooke says that the regulating body could do a better job than PEGI.

His comment stems from the announcement that PEGI is now the sole games ratings board for UK.

“The BBFC has always supported PEGI and wished it well, but it continues to believe that it satisfies these requirements better than PEGI,” said Cooke.

“However, it will cooperate fully in the detailed work needed to give effect to the government’s decision. And it must be independent in substance as well as appearance, reaching its decisions and providing information on the basis of its own detailed assessments.”

More through the links.

Via MCV.

1. Blerk

Is the BBFC state-funded? If so, I think I might have an idea what swung the decision PEGI’s way.

I have to say, I’ve no idea if one could do a better job than the other. The only thing that springs to mind when I try to weigh up the pros and cons of one over the other is the Manhunt 2 debacle.

2. G1GAHURTZ

There’s only one way to settle this…

FIIIIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

3. deftangel

The BBFC is funded by the fees it charges and is a non-profit company.

The game you mention certainly didn’t make us popular (even if the system under which we operate saw it released anyhow) but many followers are assuming that because it’s gone to PEGI, games can’t be banned any more. That’s not going to be the case.

4. deftangel

@G1GA if the powers that be had taken my suggestion to resolve this with a gaming tournament it would have been much more entertaining :D

Halo 3, StreetFigher 2 and Pro Evo like the tourneys they used to do on old-school GamesMaster :)

5. MissWacy

they also do a better job at having games banned and makeing them cut

6. Blerk

I’m sure you’re right, deft.

How many games have you been rating per year, roughly?

7. G1GAHURTZ

Haha!

Sounds like it was a good plan to me!

8. deftangel

@MissWacy – We never managed to successfully ban a game and have cut almost nothing in any mainstream video game. We cut a horsefall from an old film in “The Darkness” because it broke the Animal Cruelty Act, ancient though it is. That’s about it!

@Blerk – About 270 “submissions” but that includes things like OXM & PC Gamer because of the video content as well as different versions if there are content differences. Generally speaking between 100-125 mainstream games per year since 2005 or so.

9. Bringit

PEGI are actually stricter than BBFC.

More often, Games in the UK rated by the BBFC get a lower rating than the PEGI rated games in European countries.

10. JesteR

They are doing a better job? Why? If a game has the PEGI 18+ rating or the BBFC 18 rating. What fucking difference does it make? Really thats so retarded to say that the BBFC makes a better.

11. Shatner

I’m looking forward to hearing warz between prospective BBFC / PEGI fanboys.

I don’t think anything about the ratings system needs to be changed. I think they are as effective as they can be. People choose to ignore them as they see fit.

I’m no prude, but I was mortified when a friend’s mum asked me if COD4 was suitable for her 10 year old (who plays it online all the time anyway). Given the brutality of the opening cinematic, there’s no way I’d let a 10 year old play it. But I’m not that parent so I just asked her to look at the rating on the box for her answer.

Ratings aren’t the bit of the equation that need fixing, in my opinion. I don’t think this BBFC/PEGI thing actually makes that much difference apart from political sniping.

12. deftangel

Yeah, wait till Mass Effect 2 gets a PEGI 18+ and fans of the first one still won’t be old enough to legally buy it and see how great being “stricter” is then.

13. deftangel

Beyond keeping my job Shatner you’re absolutely right :) Dr. Byron also said as much which was good though neither the Govt. or the industry wanted to put their money where there mouth was. Hopefully they will now.

14. MissWacy

@jester, agreed

15. Gekidami

The only difference i’ve ever seen between the 2 if that the PEGI rates gambling games an 18+ whilst the BBFC dont care about them.

16. Whizzo

Considering gambling is pretty much a way of life in the UK it’s not too surprising, I didn’t even know there was a PEGI symbol for it until today!

17. deftangel

@Gekidami – They used to but don’t any more. They pretty much get 12+ now.

18. crackdude

there should be only TWO ratings.

Suitable for kids and Not suitable for kids.
    What is the difference for a kid playing a +3 or a +12 game? It is minimal!
    What is the difference between +16 and +18? If you are indeed older than 16, will it make a difference for you?

19. crackdude

Music CDs only have a lable for “not suitable for kids”, the explicit content label. otherwise, it has nothing on the cover.
    Games should copy that. Explicit content, labeled. Kid-friendly, not labeled.

I miss the MegaDrive days when there were no ratings.

20. theevilaires

i hate you guys big stupid number rating on the art cover of games. why does it have to be that ugly and big. You euros have no taste. I rather buy a greatest hits title with their embarrassing, you’re a cheap ass, red labels (ps2 games had them, now ps3 cases are fugly red) than to ever buy a euro game with those stupid rating numbers.

21. Psychotext

Umm… it’s roughly the same size as the ESRB rating which games have in the US. Or is it the fact that it’s red (in the case of an 18 game) which offends you?

22. Aimless

We have those numbers on the front to stop scamps like you buying games without their parents’ permission, theevilaires.

23. theevilaires

your name should be pointless because your jokes aren’t funny. @ psycho i guess its the stupid color, its so distracting that it makes the art cover of some games ugly. It should be black numbers.

24. Aimless

Attempting to attack my self-esteem is fruitless, I’m afraid; you can’t burn ashes.

In any case it’s a well known phenomenon that American boxart must feature either someone brandishing a weapon or scowling, preferably both, so age ratings should be the least of your worries.

25. theevilaires

you live in europe, trust me you have no self esteem.

as for the art box work, you’re right american’s are usually attracted to more dangerous looking things. it means we’re not cowards like you. (i recall someone needing help from there land being taken over in the 30′s and 40′s)

26. freedoms_stain

Inferring the brave men and women who died defending their homes and loved ones in Europe during WWII were cowards would make an individual a very low kind of scum in my estimation.

Particularly if such a despicable slight was made in a very much failed attempt to gain the upper hand in a disagreement about VIDEO GAME BOXART.

27. Syrok

Ah, who gave TEA his drugs back?!

28. theevilaires

omg another brain dead patriot. stfu bubba and go barbecue.
    my original statement was only to say i dislike the pal rating on game art work covers.maybe someone thought they had to defend their continent because the world “europe” was thrown in there (i don’t know, he is the same guy who wastes his time arguing with computer geeks who say console gaming is garbage after all)so i don’t know why you’re talking like you are Abraham Lincoln.

29. theevilaires

mention anything euro and syrok is bound to turn up. so syrok what shit country you staying at this week in lovely cloudy every day europe.

hmmm…no response you must be in ireland, they have shitty internet connections there. you must have got disconnected. oh well at least you can still make shitty levels in LBP offline :P

30. Syrok

Netherlands. :)

31. Aimless

Someone better get John Conner on the line, all evidence points to Xbox Live having reached an infantile state of selfawareness.

32. theevilaires

any other euros want to complain over nothing. come on pile em up. i’ll come back after i finish playing a couple of games of cod4.

33. Syrok

Well, you brought Europe into this. :P

34. Blerk

I hope you’re actually old enough to buy COD4, evil!

35. theevilaires

according to your shitty euro game ratings I am.