Rumor: Natal to launch with updated 360 during fall 2010

Saturday, 13th June 2009 15:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

natal1

Rumors floating about suggest that Natal will not only come in bundle form, but the console in question will be an updated Xbox 360.

Sources close to 1UP say that Natal is the new console because it will be considered “a new platform and carry a new name (Xbox Natal?)”, with “similar hardware but upgraded, repackaged, and rebranded.”

The unnamed source also stated that Microsoft would reveal the new hardware at GDC next year, with the retail launch taking place during the fall of 2010.

Again, this is a rumor for the time being so keep your skeptic hats on for a bit.

1. crackdude

that would be lovely ._.

2. blackdreamhunk

the true nature of the evil empire

I should say microsft lol

i wonder how 360 fanboys are going to feel,lol Now consoles gamers have to upgrade like us pc gamers

3. Anders

@crackdude
    Not really. I can imagine ambitious developers pushing their games just a liiittle bit further by utilizing the power of the new iteration. Before you know it, everyone with an “old” 360 will need to upgrade in order to play the newest games.

4. Gekidami

I agree with Anders, devs will obviously aim to build games that work on this ‘better’ 360 and in the long run the older models will get screwed over along with everyone who owns one.

5. Razor

Well it depends. The slim PS2 was a few Hz more powerful than the older PS2, so it shouldn’t really be a problem; and it says “upgraded”.

All the hardware in current 360′s and PS3′s is “upgraded” since they first launched with smaller, newer chips etc…it doesn’t mean it’s a different console.

And anyway, aren’t they bound by the current hardware they have? I don’t think they’re allowed to alter the specs as they please…I’m pretty sure that shit’s illegal.

6. Psychotext

Seriously doubt they’ll do anything to the console other than throw in the new 45nm chip, add Wifi and maybe add the control circuitry for the Natal box so that they can bundle them cheaper.

7. Stephen

Apart from what’s already been said by Anders, unless Microsoft clears things up potential Xbox 360 purchasers are going to delay buying the console now aren’t they.

8. deftangel

It’ll be a re-designed 360, if anything. Maybe wi-fi bundled and flash storage but that’s about it.

9. crackdude

It won’t be a big deal of an upgrade. Like the various PSP upgrades kinda maybe.

10. TheTwelve

Now this IS big news. I’ve always thought Natal was overrated but if they’re going to incorporate it into a new ‘Box… wow

11. Esha

I wonder if people will leap on this like they have with the PSP, though? Somehow, I doubt it, as it seems to be the Xfans who’re the most vocal about price, and they’ll probably be strangely quiet (barring the apologists) when this turns up on the market costing three times more than a premium 360.

If my predictions are right, then that means the PS3 solution will actually be cheaper for those who already own a console, be it PS3 or XBox. Since the PS3 types will have to buy a PSeye and the controllers at most, but the XBox people may have to buy an entirely new console if MS decide not to sell separately.

I feel ever so slightly smug over that, especially considering the price-bitching regarding PS3s.

12. Gekidami

Netal will still work on older 360′s.

13. rainer

If an Xbox 360 v2.0 is in the works to launch with natal I would imagine the impact on games is that Xbox 360 v2 games if there is more gas in the tank can do (take your pick) 1080p or 60fps, more AA or AF visually image quality would be better but I don’t think devs would add more graphics.

Everything still works fine on the 360 v1 but the v2 would have things a little sharper/cleaner.

I doubt anyone wants to go down the path of PC gaming with having low/medium/high details and all that mess.

14. JonFE

I seriously doubt MS is so stupid to launch Natal with a new console *only* even if it’s an updated x360. It would be commercial suicide, considering that the rise or fall of project Natal will be its games and it would be very difficult to convince developers to lap it up unless MS can display projected install base thus potential buyers.

If anything, they will probably launch it both as a stand alone external peripheral (with some game(s) to lure existing customers in) and a full console bundle for new users…

BTW Esha, feeling smug over something like this sounds slightly pathetic, if you don’t mind me saying so…

15. ShakaCarnage

I’ll happily bet £100 right now that Microsoft won’t launch Natal with a new console. they might budle it, but why create a new machine when they’re only just begining to make money on the current one, four years after launch?

Plus, people are treating this as news. It’s the thoughts of one website editor who has either a) had a discussion with a friend or b) been told some (dis)information.

I think Natal will launch between spring-autumn of next year globally.By that, I mean March-August. After all, you’ve got to drive acceptance of your product before key selling seasoins such as christmas.

Anyway, one man’s rumour – £100 says there’s no upgraded console. At best, bundled, or slimmed down console.

16. Michael O'Connor

How many people actually *read* this properly?

When they say a “new console”, they simply mean that rumours are suggesting that the Natal will be pushed as a permanent fixture within Microsoft’s plan. A machine which comes with the Natal, possibly with a new name (Xbox Natal? *laughs*), maybe even a larger hard-drive or a bundled wireless adapter.

And then, possibly, older models (like the Arcade) will cease production, and it’s quite possible that 2 or 3 years down the line, every single model of the 360 will come with the Natal.

That doesn’t mean a new console or forced upgrading.

Some of you lot seriously need to take off those tin-foil hats.

17. TheTwelve

It’s still very difficult to successfully update a current system because unless you DO push for a “forced upgrading”, developers will have a hard time making games for the system.

Your idea sounds just as tin-foil as the others, Michael, and unless you work for Microsoft and know for sure, I’d say your guess is just as good as the next man’s.

18. Michael O'Connor

I’m not claiming mine is anything more than a guess though, or creating conspiracy theories that undermine the company.

I’m just saying what I personally think would be the most sensible solution from a business stand-point.

“It’s like making a game for a system where owners might or might not have an HDD—you have to aim for the lowest common denominator.”

The Wii Balance Board and Motion-Plus show that it can be done, and done successfully.

19. ShakaCarnage

I think we’ll see the same model as the Wii Motion Plus to an extent. Bundle Natal with kay games AND launch it in bundles.

It might be pretty cool to have it as standard with all new 360 bundles from the end of next year.

20. Blerk

Like Psycho and Michael say, it’d be a good opportunity for them to launch a ‘slimline’ 360, potentially with a bigger drive and/or wifi built in. Any suggestion that the machine will be in any other way ‘new’ is serious comedy. :-D

21. Michael O'Connor

22. Blerk

True, but neither is doing a motion controller. And the unit they showed off doesn’t match the 360′s current styling.

23. tenthousandgothsonacid

“I’d be very surprised if they made a complete visual redesign of their machine. It wouldn’t be Microsoft’s style.”

It’d be a good way of getting back at the slim ps3 and (I realise I’m in the minority with this) but one of the reasons I don’t own a 360 is because it’s such a shit awful looking box. If they made it smaller, quieter and better looking I’d be a lot keener…