EA boss: Bizarre’s Blur is “completely underwhelming”

Thursday, 11th June 2009 16:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

blur2

This won’t end well. Patrick Soderlund, senior VP of EA Games Europe and dev lead on Need for Speed: Shift, told VG at E3 that he’s baffled by Bizarre Creations’ Blur and that his game is “better” than Forza 3.

“Let me tell you this,” he said, sounding very pumped. “I think Split/Second looks great. I’m going to have a good time playing that. Blur to me is completely underwhelming. I don’t understand what’s up with that game to be honest. That’s an official statement.

“Forza, I’m very confident we have a better game than them to be honest. Talking to the press, looking at the nominations, that’s clear. So, I’m glad that they’re confident but I’m as confident as they are.”

Hot dog. Hit the link for more, assuming you’re man enough.

1. Blerk

What, no Gran Turismo? :-D

2. daytripper

having seen the gameplay footage of Blur I have to agree with him

3. Harry

I honestly can’t see Shift being better than Forza 3, but I reckon it’ll be pretty good.

But Blur? I think he might have a point. I’m really not convinced by it at all and I’ve loved all the BC racing games thus far.

4. G1GAHURTZ

tbh, if NFSS plays half as good as it looks, I will probably end up playing it a whole lot more than Forza 3…

5. Psychotext

I think the GT supremo said it best…

“Sixty frames per second is something we’re really wanting to stick to, because otherwise, we can’t call it a game — or at least I wouldn’t call it a video game.”

How many fps will shift be running at on consoles Mr Soderlund? No need to answer that… we already know.

6. blackdreamhunk

yea your forza ia arcade junk so GT5.

7. Psychotext

Good god, were you in such a hurry to post that you couldn’t even manage to spell “yeah” and “is”? Wow.

8. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

9. G1GAHURTZ

Seriously though, 60fps is good and whatever (it’s one of the best things about COD4′s visuals), but certainly don’t remember missing it when I watched any of the NFSS videos so far.

10. Psychotext

Well, 99% of vids on the net are 30fps anyway so it’s not usually the sort of thing you’ll miss online.

If you’re going to call yourself a sim racer though, you’d better be going to the plate with 60fps. If not, you might as well call yourself an arcade game and slap motion blur all over the place.

11. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, I know that the vids are all @30fps, but my point was that the 30fps didn’t stop it from really, really impressing me. Best looking car interiors I’ve ever seen tbh.

I just like fast cars and winning races…

Not really bothered whether it’s arcade or sim, I buy ‘em all!

12. Shatner

Oh, it’s on. It is SO on.

Oo-rah!

/chestbumps

13. Psychotext

“Not really bothered whether it’s arcade or sim, I buy ‘em all!”

Oh I’ll likely be getting it (pending reviews)… I’m just getting it on the PC. ;)

14. MasterChiefFenix

not a surprise rly….AT ALL. game will be shit. even the best of luck won’t help it surpass Burnout, Forza, NFS, Mario Kart, or Gran Turismo, because it’ll be a crappy copycat-failure of a racing game.