Crystal D drops another 25 staff

Wednesday, 10th June 2009 15:07 GMT By Patrick Garratt

lara

Crystal Dynamics has loosed another 25 staff, Eidos has confirmed to Kotaku, following around 30 redundancies in January.

“We can confirm that Crystal Dynamics has made a reduction of approximately 25 people at the San Francisco studio,” said the publisher in a statement.

“This decision is a reflection of the continued drive to focus resources at the studio. We would like to thank all of the employees affected by this difficult decision for their hard work during their time at Crystal and we wish them all the best in the future.”

More through there.

1. Blerk

Ouch. Not looking good for these guys, is it? Eidos ought to let them do something that isn’t Tomb Raider for a change, let them put some of their creativity to work.

Like, for instance, that new Soul Reaver game I keep asking for every time there’s a CD story. :-D

2. Hunam

The problem with Underworld was a lack of polish and lack of overall direction, cutting staff might help with the latter but wont help with the former at all.

3. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’m playing through TR:Underworld right now and I must say it’s not as bad as all the reviews and negative comments say it is. Yes there are a few camera/control issues here and there, but these happen very in-frequently and not nearly enough to take away my enjoyment of an otherwise fantastic looking and playing game.

I feel bad for all the heads that have been cut. Cut the people who worked on camera/control tuning, but that’s it.

4. blackdreamhunk

all because of them consoles, these companies should have still been around.

I wonder which company will go bankuprt next?

5. G1GAHURTZ

AMD?

6. Blerk

By all accounts, Underworld was hurried out of the door by Eidos before it was really ready. Perhaps their new Squenix overlords will stop that kind of behaviour.

7. Hunam

If the last run of SE games are anything to go by, I doubt it.

8. DaMan

I ‘ve never had any problems with Underworld personally. if a game like Fallout3 that was freezing like fuck got great reviews regardless, Underworld’s glitches shouldn’t even be mentioned.

9. Hunam

Yeah, lets just ignore all bugs in games because Fallout 3 got good reviews.

10. DaMan

I’m saying it’s unfair to lower the score for this game that much because of the glitches it had. it does deserve a 8.

11. Hunam

I think a game like Tomb Raider lives and dies on it’s polish where big open world RPG’s can get away with it much more. If a camera fucks up a jump for you on TR you are going to be furious where losing 10-15 minutes of gameplay in FO3 can annoy but also gives players the chance to try a different approach etc. Not really defending the abhorrent state of Fallout 3, especially on the PS3 in which it was basically a crash simulator, but a game like TR needs to be slick, like it’s predecessors from CD.

It was more than just bugs that got me about TRU, animation was weak and graceless, story was pretty useless and missing massive chunks and combat was the worst it’s been since Core made the games.

12. endgame

but the graphics were incredible and so was the audio. and why isn’t anyone saying anything about the puzzles? after all, this is an action/ADVENTURE. :) anyways i like the game and i plan to finish it in the near future, just as i’m done with the exams.

oh and blerk, u’r so right man, i so miss a soul reaver game.. or something similar. they could start another franchise in nosgoth or another fantasy realm which they proved so good at creating.

13. Hunam

There were puzzles in TRU? It was the easiest TR game to date.

TRL is the best TR game, and TRA and TRU just couldn’t quite live up to it.

14. DaMan

I actually never understood why people hate the camera in this game. what I did was never touching it while jumping between the ledges, I did have some small problems like on that Jan Mayen Island or how it was called when fighting those creatures. but I never had any problems with jumping. I thought it was just a smart camera, it was auto choosing the best angle. anyway that’s what I think.

I do agree they should improve the combat mechanics though, it’s practically no better than the 90s TR games. I wouldn’t want them making the next one more like a shooter though, I thought Legend had too much of it.

15. DaMan

also, I thought TRL had the easiest puzzles.