MAG at E3 was “30 frames per second” and “lag-free”

Monday, 8th June 2009 21:43 GMT By Patrick Garratt

mag3

Let’s have some freakin’ online shooter performance stats. Mr Zipper Interactive, speaking in the video after the break, reckons the game of MAG Sony had running at E3 was running at “30 frames per second” in “basically what’s a lag-free environment”.

The shooter was demoed with 256 players at the show.

Hit link. Watch video.

1. Cort

Still looks boring as fuck.

2. blackdreamhunk

wait until they get alot of griefers. Even if the game works people are not going to want to team up. Not only that if this is running on a server or servers they will be losing a ton of money on this game. Unless the game has a ton of adds.

3. Dr.Ghettoblaster

sorry this game does nothing for me (and i love FPS genre)

4. lk

in terms of 30 fps, I’ve heard the exact opposite from people who have played it. Then again, we don’t even have a release date for this yet, so there’s plenty of time for Zipper to pick up a phone and dial +34 GUERRILLA GAMES’ NUMBER HERE, then, once they are done with that, they call their friends at Naughty Dog. If all goes according to my genius plan, MAG should be hitting 30 FPS in no time with relative ease. Then again, no one ever listens to me :(

5. Johnny Cullen

So I guess I am the only person interested in this then?

Beta start soon, but not before my PS3 gets back.

6. Blerk

I should hope it was lag-free, running on a closed local network. Which journos would do well to remember is not the same as ‘teh internet’.

7. Gekidami

You didnt watch the video did you Blerk. He said that he’s playing with people all over the west-coast. Decicated servers will be used for retail to.

8. Blerk

Mmm-hmm. And maybe he is. But there are only those guys playing. And they’ve probably got the fattest pipe imaginable.

I’m not saying it won’t perform fine, but claiming it’s all good now is terribly premature.

9. Johnny Cullen

Mind you, there was no lag when I beta tested Resistance 2 last summer (closed beta, not the open one), it ran perfectly smooth like a baby’s bottom then and at launch.

Maybe they should take tips from Insomniac on lag-free online?

10. endgame

well i’m a hardcore pc fan but i would love for this game to work as they want it to work. it would be awesome for ps3 fans. but having a lot of experience with online team play, i agree with blackdreamhunk. there are going to be afkers, ppl who don’t want to play as a team, ppl who won’t listen to their squad leader, squad leaders who won’t listen to the team leader.. i guess i don’t have to tell u why. so, even though it’s an awesome concept, i mean i would love for something like this to come on pc, i fear that it will fail.

11. Prof Power Glove

It’s got to be 60FPS or that’s it, I’m going home.

For frig’s sake, even F-zero on Snes ran at 60fps. Come on people!

12. tenthousandgothsonacid

“For frig’s sake, even F-zero on Snes ran at 60fps.”

Pfft, my PC’s running at *100FPS* whilst I’m typing this /bdh

13. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Agreed. 30 FPS has become unacceptable. Just look at the smoothness of COD4 multiplayer (60fps), vs the lack of smoothness in KZ2 multiplayer (30fps – admit it, the names of team-mates all move VERY choppy-ish and it’s distracting). The overall experience is just not as smooth and thus it’s somewhat difficult on the eyes.

If you can’t reach 60FPS these days, hold off on releasing your game until you do.