Fils-Aime: Near-term Wii opportunity is 360- and PS3-owning h8torZ

Monday, 8th June 2009 07:32 GMT By Patrick Garratt

halo3recon

The immediate growth opportunity for Wii exists in capturing the core gamer, Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has told CNET.

“The near-term opportunity is the consumer who owns an PS3 or an Xbox 360 and has been bad-mouthing Wii to their friends,” he said, talking at E3.

“We can reach that consumer with games like The Conduit or Tiger Woods with Wii Motion Plus.”

Fils-Aime said that players will go onto buy other first-party Nintendo games once they’d made the plunge.

“We think we win over the Halo audience with something like The Conduit, a multi-player, online, shooting experience, or Dead Space Extraction,” he added.

“And you know what? Once those people buy into Wii, they’ll go buy Mario Kart or Wii Fit Plus.”

Don’t worry, though. There’s plenty in that interview about going after non-gaming consumers. Read for the Lord.

1. lelik

no, that’s ridiculous.

2. Robo_1

Putting an awful lot of faith in The Conduit isn’t he. Of course it’s complete lol, as unless it sweeps the board with 9′s and 10′s then most 360/PS3 owning gamers aren’t going to look up from their HD action to notice it, let alone run out and buy a Wii for it.

Nintendo are putting on a far, far better showing this year though, thanks largely to EA and Sega.

I do wonder what impact all these new motion based control systems from Sony and MS will have on the Wii. After all, the pull at the moment is the control system, and as Sony’s solution in particular mimics the abilities of Wii motion plus, I do wonder what the hell Nintendo are going to have left to lure over the core gamer.

3. FeaturePreacher

That’s even more ridiculous than when Kaz Hirai said the ps3 was the leading platform, just not in terms of sales. It’ll be nice to see just how much of a failure “The Conduit” will be as was “No More Heroes” and “Mad World”. Hopefully once this year is over, 3rd party developers will more than be able to tell that the Wii is for mini-game collections, fitness software, and their own 1st party sequels only.

4. gorman

Dream on, Phils-Aime, dream on. The only way I could surrender ( ;) ) is if my daughter grows too fast and demands a Wii by the age of 4-5. :D

5. locus2k1

Sorry Fils, though I am looking forward to things like The Conduit, Red Steel 2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy in the next few months don’t expect me to go get Wii Fit Plus – I’d rather go outside to exercise.

6. Blerk

Yeah, good luck with that, Reggie. You’ve about as much chance of capturing that audience as Sony or Microsoft have of capturing yours.

7. Robo_1

It is worth clicking on the full CNET interview. In fairness, he is asked directly how Nintendo hopes to lure over the Halo crowd to Wii, so he’s either going to say “we’re not” or point to stuff like The Conduit.

8. Dannybuoy

Errrr, what about ex Wii owners who felt let down by Nintendo and got bored of the Wii very quickly? ie Me. In order for me to become a Wii owner again they’d have to release a new version that would compete or even better the visuals of PS3/360. And don’t give me that age old ‘visuals don’t make the game’ bullcrap, it personally made a big difference to me going from Wii to PS3. I was blown away by the graphical leap and can’t ever go back. I’m not sure I’d even go back if they did drop a new HD wii, I’m pretty much turned off Nintendo now. Well, I might get a bit interested in the new Zelda but I doubt I’ll buy a wii again just for that.. And the Conduit… Please! I think it looks like tripe, and with shooters like Modern Warfare 2 just around the corner there is absolutely no comparison. Not to mention Uncharted 2…

9. Michael O'Connor

“Errrr, what about ex Wii owners who felt let down by Nintendo and got bored of the Wii very quickly?”

People who “got bored” with the Wii very quickly need to get out a bit more and not spend every hour of the day indoors playing video games.

There are *plenty* of core games on the Wii. They may not come out every second week, but there’s still plenty of them out there worth playing.

10. Tonka

I don’t think the Conduit will sell to any Xbox owners. I don’t think it will sell much at all. As impressive as it is (and for a Wii game it is impressive) put next to any run of the mill 360 game it pales.

IMO FPS are all about showing off new tech and making one for the Wii seriously gimps your chances of success.

11. Slam Da Brakes

“Win over the Halo audience” Not. Going. To. Happen. Why leave a HD experience for a non-HD experience?

12. deftangel

There are good core games on the Wii yes. But he’s in dreamland if he thinks he’s going to win over gamers who have made the investment in getting a HDTV, HD console and invest a lot of time playing games online.

I’m interested in playing The Conduit don’t get me wrong but it’s worlds away from the experiences Killzone, Halo & Call of Duty are giving people. More so because of the online integration than anything else. HD’s got a bit less to do with it.

13. chickenbutt

The Conduit looks like a cheap rip off of Halo to me.

14. anasui

poor Reggie, he looked so badarse in 2004, now he almost sounds worse than Sony’s PR comic relief

although I’m looking forward to The Conduit, the difference between Wii’s online capabilities and the 360 is just out of question. Not that I care about Halo, its a shit game