Protest group forms over Left 4 Dead 2, has 11,002 members

Saturday, 6th June 2009 22:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

left4dead2

A group calling themselves L4D2 Boycott (NO-L4D2) has formed over on Steam and is asking people to forgo purchasing Left 4 Dead 2 because it feels the original needs to be concentrated on first.

So far, there are 11,022 members and here are the reasons why each member is boycotting the sequel:

• Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
  • Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
  • The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
  • The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
  • The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
  • L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1′s visual aesthetic
  • The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
  • L4D2′s release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
  • The community has lost faith in Valve’s former reputation for commitment to their games post-release

We’re staying out of this one.

Hit the link to check it out.

1. anasui

I actually agree with the protest

2. ShiroGamer

lol,n1

3. absolutezero

What really irks me is that Valve asked full console price for a multiplayer only game with 4 maps. They are doing the same for L4D2. I don’t really care about the director it never made a massive huge difference to each game, it was still get gun shoot horde, get better gun shoot more horde. Just in a different order.

I have never once seen the director react to how badly or how well your team is doing, it still sends specials at you no matter what, if all of you are limping along almost dead itll still send a tank at you. Similar results on the other side, having an entire team full of health makes nigh on no difference.

I guess it seems pretty petty to the console crowd but PC gamers are so used to Valve giving them so much and I think alot of them are terrified that L4D is going to become some sort of CoD one a year state.

4. Morrius

I pretty much agree. The original didn’t have four maps though absolutezero, it had about 20.

5. absolutezero

Fine. “Levels”

6. FeaturePreacher

Well I wonder who’s going to win this contest? The 11,022 members boycotting the game or the 629,000+410,000+243,000 from Nov. ’08 – Jan. ’09 in the U.S. minus 11,022 potential customers who may purchase the sequel. 1,270,980 versus 11,022 seems like a toss up to me. :-D

7. absolutezero

The idiots will win. The idiots will always win.

Half of the players will buy the second game and half wont. Split community, split player base.

Plus seeing that its a group on Steam and not just a random online petition there is a chance that Valve might take notice of a small group of players that are pretty un-happy.

I just want Episode 3.

8. Morrius

I think you mean campaigns :D

Episode 3 is going to take ages to come out. On the plus side, it’s going to be the length of a full Half Life game, not episode one/two.

I joined the group. Can’t hurt, as personally I’d rather see DLC for the original game. I’m not ready to give up on Francis yet…

9. rainer

I’d say 9 tenths of those who signed that would buy L4D2 (or pirate it), internet petitions mean zero. The constant desire for games and to be using whats popular break down any will of those boycott/protest a product.

I get a good chuckle out of those “complaints” like the visual aesthetic is incompatible cause its too bright LOL

What is it about Blizzard and Valve that seem to attract these nutters ?

10. probertgoon

bunch a whining wankers

11. endgame

to absolutezero:
    1. it has 4 CHAPTERS, each with 5 maps which makes up for a total of 20 (TWENTY) MAPS. now if u think about it, not many games have that many multiplayer maps. go back to 1st grade if u can’t count! unless u r special in which case i deeply apologise for your misfortune.
    2. u don’t really care about the AI. sure let’s just delete the AI code from the game. lol! this was one of the most intelligent remarks i’ve read in years. r u actually using that thing above your shoulders or is it just there for looks?
    3. yada yada yada.. again u show your massive power of understandig how the AI works..
    4. i’m a pc user. i love the game. i will buy it even though at around that time i’ll probably play mostly mw2, and i do that just to support the developer.
    i am someone who knows what work is and what it means not to be payed accordingly and i understand that the changes that they r making to the game r too much to incorporate in this one.

what’s going on with the protest right now. it’s a joke. those r all kids who want everything for free and who don’t know what gaming development actually is.

oh and one last thing. as far as i know they said that they will still support l4d. couldn’t be happier. :)

12. Psychotext

I’d put a large chunk of money down on at least 50% of the “protest” group buying the game when it’s released anyway. :D

13. absolutezero

Riiiight you have an entire keyboard in front of you yet still use r instead of are.

Quite so, im obviously the silly one here.

Also its not just AI. Its the director, the thing that was meant to mean the difference between every other FPS.

So when was the last time you played say the third map of Dead Air and stopped once you got to the save room? Yeah I thought so. It has 4 maps.

14. absolutedumbass

Hey there absolutezero! Want to get on other people’s asses and then make yourself look like a dumb ass too? Cool! I can play the grammar police game too! Here’s what you should have said to him:

Right. You have an entire keyboard in front of you yet, still use “r” instead of “are”.

Quite so, I’m obviously the silly one here.

Also, it’s not just AI. It’s the Director. The thing that was meant to mean the difference between every other FPS.

So when was the last time you played say… the third map of Dead Air and stopped once you got to the save room? Yeah I thought so. It has 4 maps.

And that’s it for me! Thank you for your time, jackass!

15. Michael O'Connor

“The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games”

“L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1’s visual aesthetic”

Bit of a contradiction there.

“I don’t really care about the director it never made a massive huge difference to each game, it was still get gun shoot horde, get better gun shoot more horde. Just in a different order.”

If you even remotely understood what the director does, you would understand why it *is* possible for them to release a sequel in such a short time. The system basically automated 90% of the generated gameplay, meaning that all the developers have to do is create more maps and put down some basic rules for the director to follow.

If you don’t like it, don’t get it. They gave you *free* updates for L4D, and you still whinge? Some people are never grateful.

16. Gekidami

17. _S_E_R_G_

12 358

18. Michael O'Connor

“Sucks to be them really, instead of kissing the ground Valve walks on they should have complained sooner. You only need to play the game for 10 minutes to see just how half-arsed it is.”

It’s half arsed that it’s one of the most played games online right now.

Cause, you know, all those people playing it just don’t know any better, right? They’re just “imagining” their constant, daily enjoyment of it, correct?

19. Gekidami

How does the amount of people playing a game have anything to do with its serious lack of content? By the same logic a crappy game doing well in sales instantly makes it awesome.

20. Michael O'Connor

Serious lack of content?

It’s a mulitplayer-focused game. Each level has about five maps, most of which are huge in comparison to your average game. And there’s 20 of those maps.

How is that a “lack of content”?

“By the same logic a crappy game doing well in sales instantly makes it awesome.”

No, I’m saying that clearly there’s something good about it, and something it does better than most games, if so many people are playing it online.

21. polygem

WTF…what is wrong with those guys? Join an Animal Right Movement or do some Social Work if you got time to spent…this is not about lack of content but lack of life

22. Eon

I was slightly annoyed but I will still be purchasing L4D2 and expect it to be great. The fact is that I would only expect a couple of people to actually go ahead with the boycott whilst the rest will purchase it immediately or within a few weeks of release. I got Left 4 Dead for £20.00 on release day which is more than half the price of your standard Xbox 360 game when it is initially released. I think it was Game Station or Play who were selling it for that price immediately, I hope for something similar when L4D2 is released because that will be the equivalent of having two great games for £40.00.

23. _S_E_R_G_

THATS why

24. Eon

“-.- How many times have I seen that video posted. I haven’t been disappointed with a Valve game yet and expect this one to be equally as good. Sure they stabbed consumers in the back but at the end of the day as much as you want to think of them as your friends, they’re just a business trying to earn money in an economic crisis. I’d do the same thing in their shoes.

25. OrphanageExplosion

[partridge]I have 11,003 friends![/partridge]

26. Michael O'Connor

“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWylFmqnwM

THATS why”

All I hear in this is fanboys whinging because Valve changed their plans. Boo freakin’ hoo.

27. _S_E_R_G_

1.change plans
    2.sell game
    in that order

28. Gekidami

Because you totally dont sound like a fanboy in anyway right Michael?

29. Michael O'Connor

“Because you totally dont sound like a fanboy in anyway right Michael?”

I don’t even own the game.

30. Yoshi

31. Michael O'Connor

“You cant deny Valve has fuked up ther reputation for takin ther time and making great games which later gets things added to it to make it better.”

I fail to see how. If the game is complete, it’ll get released.

The Director does the majority if the work for them, so how is the game incomplete?

32. Yoshi

The Director doesnt create the environment, skins, player animation etc etc shall i go on ? lol

They stole loads of stuff from tf2 (not sayin they cant as its ther own game but thats abit fukin cheap) for example they used the scouts bat sound on tf2 and thers plenty others.
    PLUS they have just used all the rest of the stuff that didnt get into l4d then called it l4d2 lol

33. anasui

I guess Valve shoulda played the smart boys for once and release a free pack first, then announce the game, say, later this year. Some of their points are ridiculous, but it’s definitely too soon to announce a sequel after you promised new free maps et cetera. From this point of view, it kinda looks like taking the piss out of the fans

34. Artheval_Pe

The problem with those two games is precisely the number of maps. Left 4 Dead has 20 maps and is sold for 50$ or 50€

Half Life 2 had 38 bigger maps + Counter Strike Source with a few maps + Half Life 2 Deathmatch with 3 or 4 maps
    I’m not even talking about the Orange Box.

The reason everyone is furious is because we know that making 20 maps is cheaper than making 38+ maps, especially when knowing that the developpers don’t have to place the ennemies themselves.

They are making us pay 50 + 50 = 100€ or 100$ at launch for something that costed us only 50€ a few years ago.

In other words they are rising their prices and they deceived the players with L4D1 when they said that they would provide free additional maps and weapons.

Those are the reason why everyone is furious.

Characters, daylight, music, all of that is however a matter of taste

35. blackdreamhunk

That is what pc gamers do when we don’t like a company we boycott them. That includes hardware companies like AMD who supports consoles!!!!!

Our new tactic is if we want a game that is not coming to the pc. we will just rent a consoles and that game we want.

36. Psychotext

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahah

37. VIP0R

Am I the only one who actually thought the annoncement was actually great?

Its probabally one of the only things at E3 that I was surpirsed for because everything else got leaked Months in advanced.

When I was watchin the Microsoft Press announcement, I thought it was a Dead Rising 2 trailer, and it started to look more and more like L4D, then I heard the end of round music and L4D2 Popped up! I was over joyed because more L4D was commin!

Its better than waiting 2 Years and getting less content like Halo: ODST, that only consists of a smaller Single Player campaign than Halo 3 and is just Halo 3′s Multiplayer.

Maybe there wouldnt be as much of an up roar if it was called “Left 4 Dead: Risng Dawn” or summet where it doesnt twig as an actual sequel as much.

It probabally wont be released to 2011 anyway! =]

38. ecu

Christ, what a bunch of moaning retards. L4D was great value for money, I played it for hundreds of hours, which is more than I can say for a lot of games.

39. endgame

hey u know what? this is all so simple. we’r talking about a finished game with a certain price tag. and i bought that game because i liked it. i never expected to get anything at all after that, except simple patches. i’m not talking about map packs patches or free dlcs, just simple patches that fix things that don’t work with the game. and valve released and still releases those on a regular basis. whoever expects more than just is a really REALLY dumb person. u know, like in dumb and dumber!? anyway. so just because they offered a sh1t load of updates for tf2, and still r, doesn’t mean that they have to do it for every game they release. u buy a product as it is. u only expect the product to work as prescribed. if it doesn’t, than u can scream. if it does, then stfu and go back to your lonely corner!

to absolutezero. if u’r in a jet and that jet has an “eject” button, it doesn’t mean u have to use it. i write however i want to write. as long as u understand what i mean without using additional brainpower then leave me alone. if u would know anything about chatting on the internet then u would know why i type like that. u’r clearly new to the internets.. welcome!

to Gekidami. this discussion is not about how good or how bad the game is. that is a relative notion anyway. oh and yeah, i think the game is really good! i’ve been playing the game nearly every day since it was released and i’m enjoying it. even if it had ONLY 1 (ONE) mp chapter i would still think the same. it all comes down to the ppl u play with. u clearly don’t have any friends to play with so that’s why u don’t like it. or maybe not experienced friends to play with.

to Yoshi. what did they steal from tf2???

to absolutedumbass. thks,? i guess.. :)

to Michael O’Connor. thumbs up!

to anasui. omg developers launching a new game every year!? what if infinity ward would launch a mw every year? what if bioware would do the same with me or dragon age? omg what would happend to this world!? oh c’mon! is it that hard? it’s hard isn’t it!? it really hurts when u think, isn’t it? i’m really sorry for u man. u do have one of those special cards don’t u? i heard it gets u free booze and women so u should definetly get one asap!

to Artheval_Pe. read my 1st paragraph! and no, no one is MAKING u buy their games. what, r u really that hooked with valve’s games that u really think they were making u buy their games? WAIT A SEC! man, what if u got hypnotised? u should go to a doctor to see if that really happend. omg man. i’m scared now, what if that happend to me too? OMG WHAT IF VALVE BRAINWASHED ALL THEIR CLIENTS TO BUY EVERY GAME THAT THEY RELEASE FROM NOW ON? OMG!!!!!!!!! RUUUUUN!!!

p.s. f me ppl, some of u need to grow up. i’m telling u, kids should not be thought to write. :D

40. anasui

funny post, endgame. I mean the one in which you announce you leave this comment section

41. Syrok

” i’m telling u, kids should not be thought to write.”

Yes, you have proven that very well in your post.

42. Gekidami

I never said the discussion was about how good or bad the game is, you’re confusing my comments with Michael’s.

43. _S_E_R_G_

14 000 members in Boycott Group

44. Psychotext

That’s a guaranteed 7,000 sales for L4D2 then. Nice.

45. endgame

“You only need to play the game for 10 minutes to see just how half-arsed it is.” Gekidami what does that mean then?

sup Syrok? u feeling left out? :)

46. Syrok

No, not at all.

47. Artheval_Pe

“to Artheval_Pe. read my 1st paragraph! and no, no one is MAKING u buy their games. what, r u really that hooked with valve’s games that u really think they were making u buy their games?”
    You’re playing with words right there.

My points being :
    -They announced specific post-launch support and didn’t provide the support they specificly announced.
    -Left 4 Dead 1 was too expansive for its production cost

And if you’re older than me, I pity you for being unable to write correctly in your own language, endgame.

“i never expected to get anything at all after that, except simple patches.”
    “so just because they offered a sh1t load of updates for tf2, and still r, doesn’t mean that they have to do it for every game they release.”
    No, but the fact that they announced before launch that they would give “new missions, new weapons, new achievements and new characters” mean that they have to do it.

And believing what a company like Valve says isn’t being dumb, it’s called “thinking that they won’t lie”, otherwise knowned as “being naïve”.

By the way, L4D2 indeed seems great, and appears to have a lot of new interesting features. But it doesn’t change the facts stated above.

One last thing : ecu and endgame, I’m having a hard time putting enough emphasis on the idea that directly insulting the people you’re talking to over the internet is actually quite childlish.

48. dirigiblebill

Could somebody link to Valve’s DLC promises for L4D?

49. Yoshi

Here is a vid of them sayin they would add new missions, guns etc etc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQWylFmqnwM

50. ecu

I thought the said at this E3 that there would still be more content coming for L4D1?

51. Michael O'Connor

“It’s odd how, at the start of this console generation, we were all massively against developers throwing DLC at us instead of making a proper sequel. 4 years down the line, and it’s the opposite way around.”

The fanboys (most of whom are probably PS3 owners) are jut getting their panties in a twist because Valve changed their game plan, and have decided to create an annual sequel to a title.

Because, ya know, Valve don’t need to make money to stay afloat, right?

52. Yoshi

Well of course its guna be PS3 owners, becos they obviously hav left4dead lol this has nothin 2 do with ps3 owners.

Plus if Valve really needed some money they could have easily focused on Ep3 and got that finished.

53. lelik

michael o’connor started this petition.

54. Tonka

Bunch of fucking cunts! Fuck ‘em!

55. Blerk

“Toys out of pram” confirmed!

:-D

56. Tonka

L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1’s visual aesthetic

You have two options:
    1 Make your own fucking mod
    2 Go fuck yourself

57. Morrius

It’s the Diablo rainbows all over again! I just want more content for L4D1 on top of L4D2. I’m attached to that format and those characters.

58. endgame

to Artheval_Pe.
    1. u’r right. i made a mistake. i apologise to u and to everyone else that i called a “dumb” person. the word that i should have used, was, as u pointed out to me, “naive”. that still doesn’t change anything else of what i said about valve and l4d1.
    2. oh and, it’s funny about how u’r all picking on my writing, when it’s the only thing that i actually acknowledged that i do in my own way. what is even funnier, is how u yourself make spelling mistakes. that is.. something i can’t fight with. i admit defeat. :(
    3. it’s not that someone’s insulting ppl that makes him/her/them chidish, it’s HOW they do it that it does. :) oh and we’r definetly not insulting everyone, just the ones that r asking for it, that r giving us the chance to do it.. :p omg that sounds so evil and uncalled for.. :D

to ecu. yes, so they said, but all of this bickering is not about what they said, it’s about the idea of saying one thing, and doing another.

to Tonka. LOL. to right m8. if u don’t like, don’t buy! am i correct? :)

oh and one more thing. i would rather play a different iteration of a game every year, and pay for it (even a full price) than wait years to do that. it’s like being offered the chance to try a beta version (albeit one that works), only that u pay for it. actually it’s more than that. but anyway, everyone can choose to skip this version and wait for the “final” product if they want. it’s all about them and their preferences.

p.s. LOL, i’ve just been invited to that group by someone. hihihi, i think i’m going to join just to make fun of them losers. cheers!

59. Artheval_Pe

“2. what is even funnier, is how u yourself make spelling mistakes.”
    Yeah, I’m sorry about that, and I try to improve my spelling. But English is not my native language. I’ve only been writing in English for about two years, now.

What you’re doing is not insulting people who ask for it, but the opinion of some people, which is not a valid way to make a point. Saying “You are dumb/naïve” is very easy, but meaningless.

You didn’t answer to what I wrote about the actual game in my previous post. The thing is, Left 4 Dead players actually have one thing to complain about : false advertising.

Anyway, I’m not belonging to the boycott group, and I will probably buy Left 4 Dead 2, as I’m very interested in that game, but it doesn’t change the fact that Valve lied to their customers about Left 4 Dead post-launch support, and it doesn’t change the fact that without updates, the content/price ratio of the first Left 4 Dead is not very high, and considerably lower than those of other Valve products.

60. endgame

ah well, english is not my native language either but i’ve been studying it for some time now and i guess i’m doing ok with it. as for your english, it’s pretty damn good considering the amount of time u had your way with it.

anyway, man, i’m not insulting opinions, i’m insulting stupidity. now, if u guys hate this move that valve took, to release a l4d2 game so fast (which probably means that they won’t be adding to much to the first game anymore), i understand, i mean, it’s ok, it’s your opinion and i respect that, but when someone says that the AI is bad, or that the game has too few maps, then i’m sorry but i’m going to trash him/her/them as much as i can. that is not an opinion, that is poor assessment of the game and it is born out of selfishness and lack of experience with the videogame industry.

61. Tiger Walts

I’m just surprised that Valve decided to release this content as a sequel so soon and not release it as premium DLC.

For me I find L4D as value for money. If you measure it in time spent playing it’s at least 4 hours in campaign, another 8 for Versus. So 12 before considering replayability, of which there is bucketloads and that’s not even taking into account Survival.

Valve sunk a lot of resources into developing L4D, there’s a lot of innovation and production in it that goes beyond the AI director and building levels. Play through with the commentary (another hour or two of content).

L4D2 will build on all that and now the bulk of effort can go into content, but don’t expect it for free. Valve don’t owe you anything, not even if they promised it.

62. endgame

tiger hmm, i never played with the commentary on. is it really worh it? :)