EA says “we’ve maxed out 360, but not PS3″

Friday, 5th June 2009 20:16 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ps3360

When EA’s Patrick Soderlund got a look at Natal during E3, the Senior VP said he was impressed, but that 360 has been ‘maxed out’, and PS3 hasn’t.

“I like the Natal,” he told OXM at E3. “That’s cool. It’s an interesting device, so I’m truly impressed by Xbox. It’s my personal favorite console… I think Microsoft is on a roll right now. They’re doing really well. If I was Sony, I would have a headache, to be honest.”

He admitted too that Sony showed a great line-up, and was impressed with the amount of developers getting to know the ins and outs of the console.

“Sony has a lot of good games this year,” he said. “If you go to their booth, there’s a very consistent, high quality product line-up and that will help them. I do think that we’ll see developers inside the organization getting to understand the PS3 better and I think that we’re getting more power out of PS3 right now.

“I think that we’ve maxed out the 360 but we haven’t maxed out the PS3.”

More through the link.

1. daytripper

and here we go…

2. blackdreamhunk

there goes 360′s 10 year life span lol Oh one more thing they forgot to talk about is the console market is now in a decline in a recssion ;)

3. SlayerGT

Back to the drawing board Microsoft. Lets see if the 360 can last longer than the original Xbox. I say five years. HA!

4. Robo_1

Given that 360 still has the edge in most multi platform releases, I’d say that’s pretty evident.

5. theevilaires

yea yea this stuff is getting old who cares really

6. daytripper

@theevilaires the ones who sink low enough in feeling they have to justify a purchase of a games console to someone/somebody/some people/people on forums. my mate who’s looking to buy his first console in years needed advice, i told him to go to N4G.com, i’ve probably destroyed his brain the poor sod.

7. theevilaires

well he’ll probably flip a coin to decide then. Why? because he’ll either hear nothing but praises about the PS3 or he might just become disgusted by the PS3 fanboys who’ll defend the name of PlayStation to their last breath of oxygen….Tell him i said good luck

8. Razor

This is nasty flame baiting going on right here Stephany :)

9. theevilaires

yea its clear she just wanted a quick laugh, good job guys for not biting.

10. Psychotext

That’s very mature of you TEA. I’m impressed. (Hmm… on reading that sounds condescending, it’s not actually intended that way)

…and yes, we’ve seen too much of this horseshit lately. Crytek, Activision, EA. Shut the fuck up, and stop making excuses.

11. Razor

What did Activision say?

12. mach1ne17

Did he go on to say, “…and the Wii is no where close to maxmized, a true powerhouse of a machine” ?

13. Esha

Well it’s pretty obvious, really.

The reality is that the PS3 outclasses the 360′s hardware (look up the spec sheets, no need to start a war over something that’s actually true), but the problem is that Sony created a console with such a bizarre architecture that developers are having trouble getting used to it, this is why there are cross-platform efforts with worse PS3 versions.

However, at the end of the day, the specs of the PS3 read better and eventually we’re going to start seeing evidence of that as developers finally begin to wrap their minds around how the PS3 works, and as Sony release more and more friendly SDKs.

Uncharted 2, anyone?

14. TheTwelve

I don’t understand why this is a surprise for anybody with a brain.

The question is not whether the PS3 is more powerful than the ‘box, the question is whether developers can tap into that power in a fun way.

15. Eon

I am still confused as to which game they are referring to that has maxed out the 360. He is basically having a sly dig at both Microsoft and Sony…very witty indeed.

16. polygem

sigh – what did obama say about it? is this really true?

17. mykem

It’s pretty evident that when Turn 10 decided to limit MP in Forza 3 to just 8 players/cars and even SP has the same amount of car on the track as Forza 2: 8, it’s because by choosing to stick to 60fps (but still only 720p), the 360 was being pushed close to its limit.

18. Psychotext

Given the differences between Forza 2 and Forza 3 I’m not necessarily sure that Forza is the best of examples for the 360 being maxed out.

19. fearmonkey

The PS3′s supposed hardware advantage has been touted by many a fanboy, but sorry, I havent really seen it. If if a PS3 game has awesome graphics like Uncharted 2 or Killzone 2, it hasnt matched the difference from a dreamcast to Ps2, Genesis to SNES, Atari to Intellivison to Colecovision.
    If I saw that much difference, I may actually buy a PS3.

20. Ingenu

360 is maxed out because they make it easier on the devs. This is a good thing for 360 owners, because they get the full potential of the system much sooner.

That said, the PS3 isn’t going that much farther, but I still lurve it.

/em hugs his shiny PS3

21. OrphanageExplosion

EA produce decent games but in no way is any one “maxing out” any of the current consoles.

22. gorman

Yeah, sure… I wonder after how many years of things don’t showing the supposed PS3 advantage we could lay these crap to rest.
    For sure KZ2 “superiority” didn’t make me want to go out and buy the game. I went with LBP, go figure… :p

23. Shatner

But what does Peter Moore say? ;)