Molyneux promoted to creative director of European studios at Microsoft

Thursday, 4th June 2009 06:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

petermolyneux2

Peter Molyneux has been promoted to creative director of European studios at Microsoft Games Studios.

He will continue to oversee Lionhead, along with extending his duties as creative director of Rare and other external projects.

Molyneux assumed the role in March, and said that the new position entails helping “internal and external talent realize their creative visions,” according to GI.biz.

“What you’re not going to see is ten Peter Molyneux games,” he said. “The value of this role is for someone like myself going in and making those little tiny lights of an idea shine as brightly as possible and ensuring everybody within the organization clearly understands why we’re making those titles, the purpose of those titles and their importance to Microsoft overall.

“All I’m going to be doing is making sure those lights are as bright as possible. People at Rare and other European studios are super, super bright and creative people and I’ll learn as much about design from them as they would from me.”

Congratulations, Peter.

More through the link.

1. Gekidami

*yawn*

2. Stephany Nunneley

Well at least he’s still gonna be around. Things would be less interesting without Six-gun Pete.

K, now I am off to bed as you folks are getting up.

3. Gekidami

Still, him quiting would have been an awesome headline, E3 shocker!

4. Michael O'Connor

“*yawn*”

Yawn? YAWN?!

One of the most creative minds of the entire gaming industry, instead of being shoe-horned into managing one company’s game, now have executive control of running a huge swath of Microsoft’s gaming division… and that’s a YAWN?!

People often complain that his passion always gets curbed by the games themselves. A position like this gives him far more ability to inject that passion into many of Microsoft’s games. This can only be a good thing.

5. Mike

Wicked!

Congrats Pete.

6. OrphanageExplosion

I agree entirely. What Microsoft needs are more Populous remakes and the man who literally invented the dog is the dude to do it.

I kid, I kid…

7. Patrick Garratt

I think this is amazing news. He’s a true creative. It made me really sad yesterday when it was rumoured he was leaving games. Can’t wait to see what he does with Games Studios in Europe.

8. Audio Radar

9. Blerk

This can only be good news for MGS Europe!

Congrats, Peter!

10. Michael O'Connor

“I agree with OrphanageExplosion, choosing to fart or bark is not a great creative expression. Seriously, where is the creativity in Fable?”

If you even need to ask that, then…

Also, last time I checked, Fable was not the only game that Peter Molyneux has ever made.

11. Bringit

Told ya.

12. rainer

Congrats Pete, definitely a good thing for MGS Europe.

There is a tendency for people to only ever judge you by your last game in this industry but Molyneux has brought a lot of good if not great games to the market over the years, syndicate, dungeon keeper, powermonger, populas, theme park, magic carpet, black & white, fable and more.

13. G1GAHURTZ

Promotion eh?

Wow.

14. Psychotext

Sweet. :D

15. polygem

best e3 announcement for ms so far. they should´ve put his at the very end of the press conference…

16. Goliath

I hope he cracks the whip over at Rare. Seriously, something/someone has to motivate that studio!

17. No_PUDding

Great news.

18. Ingenu

Good to hear.

19. Cort

He may be a creative whizz, but kind of a self-important cock to pre-announce to the gaming world an announcement of his own promotion.