Kim: Xbox 360 has a ten-year life-span

Thursday, 4th June 2009 09:11 GMT By Patrick Garratt

shanekim2

Xbox boss Shane Kim has told Venturebeat that Xbox 360 will be on the market until 2015.

“We firmly believe that the Xbox 360 has a life cycle through 2015 (10 years after the launch),” he said, talking at E3 this week.

“Project Natal is a great innovation. It will work with every Xbox 360 sold. It’s not about pushing more pixels on the screen. It’s about how to break down barriers that stop people from playing games.”

Looks as though Ubisoft’s developing games for machines that don’t exist.

We linked to that interview yesterday, but do read it if you haven’t yet.

1. Shatner

So, in one breath he is echoing Sony, in the next he is echoing Nintendo.

TELL US ABOUT RESIDENT EVIL 5 SHANE.

2. Withnail

Actually I’m surprised they didn’t say 11 years just to go one better than the competition.

3. locus2k1

I just hope my 360 elite can last till 2015

4. jeremycafe

My average lifespan of a 360 console has been 13-14 months. this means I am going to have to buy 12 more by the time a new one comes out:(

5. MissWacy

@shatner, yea i though the same thing, its all he ever does and that other nub at ms

6. Roybott

@jeremycafe wow that is some very poor math skills there :P

So Xbox 720 confirmed for before 2015! lol

7. freedoms_stain

Supporting the 360 until 2015 doesn’t mean they can’t bring out another product prior to that.

Sony are still supporting the PS2 after all.

8. Tonka

What about Resident Evil 5? What does he know about a Capcom game. And what is there to tell? It’s already out?

9. Gekidami

Whats all the RE5 stuff about? Shatner keeps going on about it so it must have something to do with a arse-up.

10. G1GAHURTZ

You’ll have to excuse him, he’s got a psychological condition called bipolar disorder.

11. Shatner

Hey GIGA, how’s that PS3 price cut coming along?

12. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

13. polygem

it will still be on the market in 2015…just like ps2 today still is available….but there will be a new console out in 2011/2012 latest i believe…

14. Psychotext

What happened to PS3 lifecycle + 1 year? That was always the more crazy prediction. :)

15. blackdreamhunk

hahahahahaha micro soft and sony only wish, how is losing all those billions on consoles. I wouldn’t spend $80 on game no way I am not dum enough. If I ever wanted to any game on console I will just rented a console and game.If I want a console I will just buy a used one.\

So how is them billions you lost on consoles lol I’m sure your share holders are happy. lol

16. Psychotext

Aww… can we keep him? I promise I’ll clean up after him!

17. Blerk

I’m wondering what operating system he has installed on his PC, given that he hates Microsoft so.

18. Offishall

My first 360s life span was 8 months (Launch Consoles)

Second life span was 7 months

Thirds life span was 1 month

Fourths life span was 5 months

Fiths life span was 10 Months

6th life span was 2 weeks

Sold my 7th when I got it back from Microsoft. Now I am a PS3 and PC player. As much as I hate to miss out on some of Microsofts exclusive titles, I just can’t put any more money in a peice of equipment that has a 100% fail rate.

Forza 3 :( *sigh*

19. polygem

my launch console only broke once after 7 months or so – got replaced quick and easy…sold it later on and bought an elite…runs like a volkswagen…