Sections

Infinity Ward: Modern Warfare pushes Xbox 360 to its “upper limits”

Thursday, 4th June 2009 12:52 GMT By Nathan Grayson

modernwarfare22

Speaking with VG247 at E3 this week, Infinity Ward’s Mark Rubin said that Modern Warfare 2 leaves the Xbox 360 winded and gasping for breath. At this point, he noted, it’s all about finding little tricks to squeeze more power out of the aging machine.

“We always push to the upper limits,” he said. “It’s just a matter of working around them at this point.

“Having to squeeze more blood from that stone. We added texture streaming now so that we can have a much bigger world, and we can stream in super high detail textures for the area close in proximity to you. And the rendering engine has been redone.”

To be frank, if the Xbox was sweating, we couldn’t tell when we saw it in LA yesterday. Modern Warfare 2 looks amazing. Game’s out in November. We never knew we had this much drool.

Breaking news

13 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.

  1. Blerk

    Until Modern Warfare 3, of course. At which point they will ‘magically find some more’.

    Honestly, developers are like Scotty. :-D

    #1 5 years ago
  2. Shatner

    Sounds like he needs the POWER OF THE CELL!

    How will they cope if 360 is around for 10 years?!?

    /runs

    /peeks around corner

    #2 5 years ago
  3. daytripper

    not a fan of fps myself but this does look impressive.

    #3 5 years ago
  4. Ghost_Dog

    Does this mean that the PS3 copes with it fine?

    #4 5 years ago
  5. Psychotext

    @Ghost_Dog: Same story as the Crysis 2 one, but in reverse.

    They’ll let you know when they’ve managed to get it running on it. :D

    #5 5 years ago
  6. Aimless

    Well, at least he didn’t fall back on a meaningless percentage.

    “Yeah, we’re using 78% of the 360′s power. We considered using the other 22% but decided against it.”

    #6 5 years ago
  7. Robo_1

    Man, I’m getting so tired of all this. Infinity Ward have maxed out 360, Crytek have maxed out PS3, Uncharted 2 maxes out PS3 and Red Faction: Guerilla maxes out 360 again.

    I mean aghhhh.

    How many times did people think they’d squeezed every last drop out of PS2, only for God of War 2 to come along and raise the bar again.

    Personally I just want to see Guerillas next PS3 game. Going off Resistance 2 and the trailer from the new Ratchet & Clank, Insomniac have lost their tech edge a little.

    #7 5 years ago
  8. daytripper

    its free marketing. i dont blame them.

    #8 5 years ago
  9. theevilaires

    so g1ga any chance you getting this on PS3, or do i still have to buy a 360 to make you my bitch :P

    #9 5 years ago
  10. rainer

    Silly marketing, IW target 60fps for there games (thankfully) if they dropped to 30fps they could easily squeeze more out which is what unfortunately most developers do.

    #10 5 years ago
  11. Goliath

    Crysis 2 pushing the PS3 to it’s limits. Modern Warfare 2 pushing the XBox 360 to it’s “upper limits”. The way these developers talk you’d swear this was the tail end of this generation and not it’s peak. More marketing BS to rile up the fanboys I guess.

    #11 5 years ago
  12. G1GAHURTZ

    I’ll probably end up getting it on PS3 too, although 90-95% of my time will probably be spent on the 360 version, with my quite large clan.

    #12 5 years ago
  13. Dannybuoy

    The PS3 can handle it standing on one rubber foot, balancing 2 dual shocks on its head

    #13 5 years ago