Greenberg: Ask Square if “not exclusive” FF14 is coming to 360

Wednesday, 3rd June 2009 20:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ff14

Xbox product boss Aaron Greenberg has told VG247 that Final Fantasy is not an exclusive product to PlayStation 3, but remained coy on whether or not the MMO will launch on Xbox 360.

“My understanding is that it is not exclusive,” he said in an interview today.

“That would be a good question to ask Square.”

He added: “I know that we have a great relationship with [Square]. They provided a number of big titles, including some exclusives like Star Ocean, along with having FFXIII demoed on Xbox 360.”

Square Enix senior VP Shinji Hashimoto has just confirmed to an E3 press event that it is considering “all options” for the game.

“We don’t want to make a copy of World of Warcraft,” a Square rep said.

SCEA boss Jack Tretton said in the Sony E3 press conference last night that the title was a PS3 exclusive, to release next year.

1. JonFE

A-ha, the plot thickens…

:-P

2. theevilaires

can we ask konami if MGS4 is also coming to xbox360?

3. Shatner

Sorry, remind me why I should listen to one company’s exec talk about another company’s products without laughing my man-tits off again?

Especially when that exec is Aaron “Biggest event in the history of the Internet” Greenberg.

4. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Exactly Shatner! It’s like Microsoft stating that DLC for GTA4 will NEVER be going to PS3……….OFCOURSE they’re going to say that……they want you to buy THEIR console!

But…I don’t understand how Sony could officially announce it as anexculisve only to have SquareEnix turn around and say “they’re considering all possibilities”…! It just seems to me like the two companies, who must have a contract of sorts, are not exactly on the same page……I don’t get it……..

5. Shatner

Well, the game ISN’T a platform exclusive, it’s coming to Windows.

But I’d sure as hell hope that Greenberg isn’t arguing based on that little detail. He might bring some unwanted attention. KnowwhatImean?

If you can’t categorically refute something, feed the press an ambiguous phrase or two and let them do the work for you.

As for Square and their options, I wouldn’t be surprised if some of those options were concerning chequebooks.

6. Mike

He’s been rumbled alright.

7. theevilaires

it most likely will not be exclusive. its a MMORPG for christ sakes, the more the merrier. this could be the game that could end all the console war hate, just think ps3 owners teamed with xbox 360 owners fighting to save the day on some foreign land server. the future is bright my friends…Jump In,This is Living :P

8. crackdude

HOW ABOUT A PvP FIGHT TO THE DEATH?!?

PSFags vs Xbots. That would be comical to watch xD

9. theevilaires

the xbox to xbot insult transaction sounds better (to be honest) but good try for an insult. (clap everyone)

10. Shatner

Xtards would win. They’ve all got headsets so they’d be able to communicate better.

The teabagging would be EPIC.

11. Hunam

This comes from Square in a Q&A saying themselves to not consider it an exclusive at all.

12. OwningXylophone

When did Sony say FF14 was a PS3 exclusive? Jack Tretton announced that “PS3 is the only place you’ll be able to play FF14 when it launches in 2010″… Not that the PS3 will be the only place you can play FF14.

That statement alone gave the game away…

13. Stephany Nunneley

Shatner: “The teabagging would be EPIC.”

:-D :-D :-D :-D

14. Gekidami

Pretty petty if he’s talking about the PC version, it would be most ironic from an MS rep.

On a side-note:
    “…but remained coy on whether or not the MMO will launch on Xbox 360.”

“Greenberg: Ask Square if “not exclusive” FF14 IS COMING TO 360″

Paradox?

15. Hunam

I think the point is that no deal has been inked between Sony and Square for exclusive platform rights.

16. daytripper

just wait till Apple enters the HD console war. My head hurts reading the drivvel as it is.

17. Patrick Garratt

Just transcribed the full interview. Going up now.

18. Blerk

I’d be interested to know just how well FFXI has done on 360 – my gut feeling is ‘not very well’. That could colour things somewhat.

19. No_PUDding

More to the point, the press release was PS3, PC.

If something else comes, I expect it will come later. And I think this is tellign quite how good an announcement it was.

I bet it wasn’t called Final Fantasy 14 long before E3 xD

20. crippledhooba

In console wars eyes “exclusive” means exclusive on the consoles, PC doesn’t really come into it because nearly everything comes out on the PC.

21. Blerk

EG has his exact quote:
    “I want to emphasise that it will be available for PS3 and PC – and we are considering all our options for other hardware – including Microsoft.”

Wii version confirmed! :-D

22. Shatner

I like how this “not ps3 exclusive” is determinedly brought to the attention of readers by having it as a panel at the top of the page. Funny how VG247 isn’t fussed about doing the same for Metal Gear Rising’s lack of exclusivity isn’t it?

You guys! No wonder Greenberg claims to read this site.

23. Blerk

Oh, the conspiracy!

I watched the video for this for the first time just now and it’s very swish, I like the graphical style a lot. And yet…. no interest in playing whatsoever.

/shrugs

24. Gekidami

…? You mean the GC video from the Sony conference Blerk?

25. Blerk

Yes, I didn’t see it ‘live’ because I was just watching the live blog at that point, so I watched the hi-def video on Gamersyde this morning.