Peter Molyneux’s Milo – the whole thing in video

Tuesday, 2nd June 2009 09:36 GMT By Patrick Garratt

milo

You must watch this. It’s Peter Molyneux’s Milo project for Natal, the Xbox 360 camera announced in the Microsoft press conference yesterday.

You’d probably already seen it, but still. Bonkers.

1. Blerk

My biggest disappointment of the whole show is that this was Peter’s announcement. :-(

2. Patrick Garratt

I think it looks amazing.

3. phatb0y

Poor old Peter Geppetto. All he ever wanted was a little boy. Instead he just became a frustrated games designer.

‘Milo, show me on the avatar where he touched you.’

4. Blerk

I think it looks… unbelievable. In an ‘I don’t believe that’s real’ kind of a way. Some of the camera tricks, yeah. The interaction? No.

Most importantly, I can’t see the point. It’s a nice tech demo, but what’s the real-world application?

5. phatb0y

Grooming sim. Think Animal Crossing, but with AI so advanced it’ll call Childline itself.

6. tenthousandgothsonacid

Too much smoke and mirrors. We don’t get to see what the girl draws or what the software recognises her having drawn for instance…

7. Aimless

Cock and balls, obviously.

I’m surprised Peter managed to restrain himself from claiming that this will finally make us appreciate real human love.

8. Shatner

Disregarding all the ‘is it real though?’ arguments, I’m trying to work out why I’d want to socialise with my console instead of using it to play a game.

Perhaps if Rockstar’s writers were to script (sorry, program an AI personality) into some cheeky, compelling characters that might be fun. Trading testosterone-heavy phrases with Brucie Kibbutz could be entertaining for 5, maybe 6 minutes.

Why do I just get the feeling we’ll be seeing some sports/training game announced pretty soon with this with some virtual drill instructor you can plead with to go easy on you?

9. phatb0y

I think it’ll take off. Eventually. There were enough people laughing at the idea of The Sims when it was first announced and look what happened there. A doll’s house that shits money.

Throw a few DLC outfits at it and stick in enough customisation options (mute, purdy mouth etc) and I’ve no doubt they’ll find a market for it.

Hell, a good cross-section of Live players would buy it just to torture the fucking thing.

10. Shatner

Agreed. The scope for exploring new avenues of racial and homosexual abuse are pretty amazing.

Believe.

11. Cort

And we all know Molyneaux’s track record on promises, don’t we?

This video was excruciating. You’re not an actor Peter, so drop the script. Milo can’t, of course……

Sony show us EyePet, MS follow with EyePederast.

12. scuz

people just love being negative about peter don’t they?

its a clever tech demo, they have really optimized the room they were in to make all the gestures more recognizable etc.

She’s clearly got a very good idea on the sort of things milo will understand and is exploiting them into very obvious emotions.

p.s she’s quite hot.

that is all.

13. Dannybuoy

Mylo… Mother fcukers gonan drop the pressure.. mother fcukers gonna drop the pressssssue.. Hi Milo, this is fun.. for about 5 FRIGGIN minutes then you will just become another sad tamogotici fad.. oh well. tech demo or not tech demo. the girl in that vid is very annoying.. surprised Milo hasnt told her to stop being so bloody annoying

14. Psychotext