Microsoft’s Project Natal camera in action – video

Tuesday, 2nd June 2009 00:16 GMT By Patrick Garratt

projectnatal

Hit the link for a demo video of Microsoft’s full-body motion-sensing camera, Project Natal, in action.

The company announced the device in its E3 press conference in LA earlier today.

If it really does do all this then, well, it’s pretty much amazing.

Look at see. No release date as yet.

1. absolutezero

Try and make it all the way through. I dare you.

2. wz

Fuck you Skynet.

3. Patrick Garratt

I watched it all. Is that really real? Really?

4. absolutezero

What showing girls what dress they should buy? I fucking hope so.

5. Patrick Garratt

I’d like to give it a go, certainly. Just to see if it actually works like that.

6. Psychotext

I love it… but perhaps more importantly, my missus does too. :D

7. Patrick Garratt

Not the dress bit, obviously.

8. Blerk

I feel tired.

9. Cort

Real? In their dreams.

There’s a world of difference between a demo and a tech demo.

10. Cort

@Pat,

The man doth protest too much…..

11. fearmonkey

Which one was Velocity Girl?

12. Razor

Why do you get the feeling that Sony’s motion sense controller will get cut from their conference tomorrow…

13. Psychotext

Nah, I think there’s still a place for Wii style motion controllers.

14. No_PUDding

Razor,listenign to ListenUP, I thin k they were both working on peripheral free and peripheral based control schemes.

Got to admit, the Natal thing looks SCARILY reminiscent of the first Eyetoy trailer we ever saw ;)

It’s just difficult to realise that stuff, in everyones living room.

15. Cort

@Razor,

Um, much of the motion-sensing capability shown by MS today was demonstrated by Sony using the PS Eye in 2007, including drawing an image which was then imported into the software and could be manipulated and interacted with, in-game. If Sony are indeed planning to demo their own new motion-sensing technology tomorrow, I should think it would be more capable than what they showed us they could do nearly two years ago.

16. Psychotext

@Cort: Unless the PS Eye is significantly upgraded then most of the stuff “demoed” today simply wouldn’t be possible. It needs the ability to properly discern depth… which either requires two cameras or the addition of infra red.

I’d say I welcome it… but I already own a PS Eye and I’m not sure how much I like the idea of paying for another one! :P

17. Cort

There was a much better video in which someone “draws” a game in real time but I cannot find it.

18. Cort

@Psycho,

Granted, which is why I said “much of” rather than “all” or “most”.

A lot of what was shown in the video posted here, and in the Molyneaux/Milo video, does not require depth perception at all.

19. Shatner

Two words:

Teabag Hero

20. No_PUDding

Psychotext, they are doign it with EyePet.

I want to see Natal in actual action before we commit to any of this. If it actually works, then I can’t wait to try it.

But Milo screamed, scripted to me.

21. Psychotext

“Psychotext, they are doign it with EyePet.”

It’s not quite the same thing. There’s a very specific reason they demoed it with the table. Still, EyePet looks cool. :)

(and yeah, Milo was pretty clearly scripted)

22. Cort

@PUDding,

I think the Molyneaux/Milo demo screamed “scripted” and “badly acted” to all but the most credulous of watchers. It was exruciating.

But I have to concede that with the depth perception this looks like awesome technology. Let’s wait and see what it actually delivers into living rooms, however.

23. Psychotext

Not to mention being creepy as fuck (Milo)

24. No_PUDding

I’d love that in Fallout 3 though!

Imagine that!

25. Cort

BTW, Milo is a pederast’s dream.

26. Psychotext

“BTW, Milo is a pederast’s dream.”

Going after the Wii audience for real!

/runs

27. Jadeskye

That is some serious minority report shit right there!

I’ve never been more excited to be a 360 owner, for the love of god make it work like that!

28. Cort

PS Eye was registering and tracking faces over a year ago:

29. blackdreamhunk

after seeing natal I was really impressed, however that tech was first seen on the pc. alot of pc gamers dismiss this tech as useless. However now seeing this tech in action I think a lot pc gamers are wrong.

Natal belongs on a much better system than an xbox. I would want to see this system on onlive.

30. bugmenot

i reckon molyneux was developing milo with xbox live vision in mind and retooled it for natal last minute so ms could use it to market it. i think an ordinary webcam could do most of what was shown in the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjA-1-fakGg (Aqua Vita)

molyneux seems to think he invented interacting with little fishies the cheeky sod! hes so full of himself

scanning a piece of a4 is old, how bout turning it into 3d!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPENA1Bpm68 (EyePet)

31. Esha

Aren’t there just a few things in that trailer that simply aren’t at all possible with our current level of technology? The one that really stood out for me is the very concept of, with a commercial viable and affordable device, being able to record, process, and playback in real-time a person with a believable dress on them, without a piece of fabric out of place.

Even being able to track the full body movements and represent tem on-screen as a cartoon monster seems suspect to me, unless it’s Wii-like and vague arm movements represent arm based attacks. But it wouldn’t be an exact system, just flailing one’s arms downward would represent a strike to the ground (no need to follow the movements of the creature on screen directly), a la Wii remote.

I hope not too many people buy this, because a lot of it seems impossible unless they’re planning on charging something like $300,000 (and up) for it. I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in the long run.

32. Gekidami

Yeah Esha, as i said in the other article i think that the video was pure internal concept stuff.

33. Hero of Canton

The best bit was when the guy’s avatar completely spazzed out when he said ‘BAM!’

34. JesteR

Nintendo promised more then they delivered too so with Natal it will be the same. The fake conversation between Milo and the girl was just prove of it. Everyone who know how AI is programmed know that having a real discussion with a programm isnt possible.

35. Michael O'Connor

Esha: The bit about the dress is true; that was clearly processed to look better than the reality.

But the depth of movement stuff? That’s easily possible with infrared technology, and has been for years.

The live painting demo proved that it works.